Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Where to buy and old bike?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m looking for an old road/touring or town bike for a project I want to do. I want something cheap and quite large (I’m 6ft5), but the bikes available on Gumtree/ebay all seem quite expensive, so where else is worth looking?

I’m in West Oxfordshire and intend to repair, repaint and rebuild anything I get and will be making single speed (if not already) so condition isn’t too much of an issue provided the frame and forks are sound.

Thanks.

slackalice
    Free Member

Retrobike?

Happy hunting 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

What are you looking for and what do you consider a reasonable price?

Id have thought ebay end auction prices would be fair.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Id have thought ebay end auction prices would be fair.

I agree that the prices are probably fair, but I’m after something really cheap (which is probably too cheap for a lot of people to bother putting on ebay)!

kcal

try ads in local paper (maybe) or ask in LBS. Or haunt garage sales?

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Scrap yard.

We get that sort of thing in occasionally.
    We have regulars come in for bike bits, they build them for friends, family or to sell on.

epicyclo

You can find old 28″ wheel bikes cheap if you look. It’s dirt cheap to make them roll like new again – under £10 worth of loose ball bearings and a new cheap chain.

Do that and you’re good for a century. This one cost me £25 + bearings, chain, and tyres, so maybe £60 all up, and that ride was 102 miles with some substantial climbs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy and old bike?’ is closed to new replies.