Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Where to buy a tux?
  • damitamit
    Free Member

Need to get a tuxedo for a black tie event. Thought i should buy one instead of renting this time.

Where’s good to get one? Not looking to spend too much. £250 max.

Can go to Bicester village tomorrow. Any chance there or will it all be too expensive being designer brands?

Cheers
    Amit

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Don’t waste your time with bicester village it sucks and is shi** I also imagine you WON’T get a tux there. You know M&S do some really god ones or Moss Bros you can pick them up really cheaply nowadays and they still look reasonable (rather than rubbish and cheap!).

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Aaargh. It is NOT a “tux” it is a dinner jacket or dinner suit. Tux is an American term, usually for some OTT white jacket which would be totally inapropriate over here.

Having got that off my chest, I don’t know that area but any decent menswear shop that does reasonable suits should stock them. Austin Reed?

emsz
    Free Member

Charity shops.

Seriously.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thank you for that, Captain. Saved me the rant.

Ex-hire from Lipmans is well worth a look, actually. Would mean a trip to town, though. Buy one if you are likely to use it more than three times, it works out cheaper. Some Moss Bros ex-hire are worth a look as well.

White jacket is only acceptable in warmer climes.

allthegear
    Free Member

Charity shops.
    Seriously.

Scary – might get the one I took to Help the Aged!!!

😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

M&S Autograph – very nice for the money. John Lewis if you fancy splashing a few quid more. Some shops might do “semi-tailored”. House of Fraser is also a good shout for suits for all budgets. The comes a time in most mens’ lives when hiring just doesn’t cut it anymore. I hate the word “tux” – urrgghhh. Dress suit is so much nicer 🙂

Just think how yummy you’ll look in your very own.

(Avoid patent shoes no matter how tempted)

jam-bo

I bought one 12 yrs ago because I had a couple of balls lined up. I thought a couple more and it made sense.

Never worn it again…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    I bought one 12 yrs ago because I had a couple of balls lined up

Ahem, which way does sir dress?

allthegear
    Free Member

Well, get out to more formal occasions then!! I’ve got to say, guys in dinner suits do look at their best…

Rachel

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about tails, Rachel?

stgeorge

Charity shops the way to go, bought 2 for £30 a few years back, one double breasted, one single breasted, as new, quality.

allthegear
    Free Member

Tails are just as good, although it’s more the change in attitude brought on by the smartness I think – they all think they’re James Bond or something. 🙂

Rachel

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Nope tails too poncey!

Some useful info!
    Tuxeda: man’s evening dress for semiformal occasions, 1889, named for Tuxedo Park, N.Y., site of a country club where it first was worn in 1886. The name is an attractive subject for elaborate speculation, e.g.:
    The Wolf tribe in New York was called in scorn by other Algonquians tuksit: round foot, implying that they easily fell down in surrender. In their region thus came the names Tuxedo and Tuxedo Lake, which were acquired by the Griswold family in payment of a debt. There the family established the exclusive Tuxedo Club, and there in the late 1880s Griswold Lorillard first appeared in a dinner jacket without tails, a tuxedo. By a twist of slang, one may now refer to a man in a tuxedo as a ‘wolf. [Joseph T. Shipley, “The Origins of English Words,” 1984]
    But in another version of the story, p’tuksit was the Algonquian word for “wolf,” the animal, perhaps from the shape of its paws. The authoritative Bright, however, says the tribe’s name probably is originally a place name, perhaps Munsee Delaware (Algonquian) p’tuck-sepo “crooked river.” Short form tux is attested from 1922.

damitamit
    Free Member

Sorry, dinner suit!

I’m in London btw…

Will check out M&S and charity shops.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m in London btw…

Go to Lipmans.

http://www.lipmanandsons.co.uk/

Cougar

Tux.

chiefgrooveguru

I got mine ex-rental and it’s done sterling duty for 15 years.

donsimon
    Free Member

Mine was charity shop, excellent value.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Moss bros, suit, shirt, tie. ~ £130

mudpup
    Free Member

Got a M and S DJ and trousers for 50quid at christmas. They come up a size small but a good bit of kit.

edhornby

I found a really quite acceptable one in Matalan, full outfit including shirt for about 50 quid

you can also get them from the supermarkets for even less, although they are definitely at the budget end….

get a proper dress shirt too, makes a big difference

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Find a Suits You that has just been bought out and buy a Pierre Cardin dinner suit for £37 🙂

I only passed the shop as I was on my way to Moss Bros and similar to hire a dinner suite, and this was the 2nd shop I saw after coming out of the car park 🙂 I went in to ask them where Mos Bros was!

And it actually fits better than any other suit I have.

£8.75 for a dress shirt as well.

bomba
    Free Member

M&S Dinner Suit

Bought one of these for an awards ceremony the other day. Unbelievable value and as long as you get the fit right, it looks just as good as many far more expensive suits.

sambob
    Free Member

Unplanned yacht race dinner = 3 days to find a dinner jacket. Asda online = Exactly my size, £7.50 down from £60. Result.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy a tux?’ is closed to new replies.