Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Where to buy a proper decent wok / karahi?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Just finishing a kitchen refit and I fancy getting a new wok to replace my trusty old one and with it being nearly Christmas and all that….

So – where is best to get an authentic wok / karahi (none of this non-stick coating rubbish, just a nice heavy weight pan that will be used for Indian, Chinese, Thai food etc).

Cheers

atlaz
    Free Member

Whereever your local china town is or one of those big Chinese supermarkets/wholesalers.

johndoh
    Free Member

As it’s a Christmas present I’d like to be able to point someone in the direction of the ‘right’ type via a webernet link though 🙂

monde
    Free Member

Bought a Bpdum cast Iron wok at one of their outlet stores 10 years ago and its been great. not sure if you can still buy them but worth looking out for or a cast iron equivalent.

gonzy
    Free Member

any decent asian cash and carry will sell them…you need the stainless steel ones

Drac

Yup Chinese Supermarket ones work brilliant, cheap and last for years. Sometimes people have to get out and look at items rather than stare at them on a screen.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have a La Creuset wok. It’s very, very heavy and very good.

Although it’s quite expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creuset-Glass-Recipe-Satin-Black/dp/B00008WFE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449580058&sr=8-1&keywords=le+creuset+iron+wok

Drac

£135 😯

Mine was around £5 it’s light, works very well, doesn’t have a flat base as Woks don’t and it’s over 12 years old.

gobuchul
    Free Member

it’s light, works very well,

A light wok that works well?

doesn’t have a flat base as Woks don’t

Say who? Is that from the STW Mods Law and Code of Practice on Cooking Implements?

Besides the inner surface is curved and it means it can stand up on it’s own.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Isn’t a thin wall/light weight/rapid heating and cooling and curved bottom basically what separates a wok from… erm… not being a wok?

Drac

Yes is that a difficult concept to grasp?

Say who? Is that from the STW Mods Law and Code of Practice on Cooking Implements?

No from the very description of a Wok.

slowoldman

Isn’t a thin wall/light weight/rapid heating and cooling and curved bottom basically what separates a wok from… erm… not being a wok?

Correct. Exactly what my Chinese supermarket wok is. Pretty it ain’t though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That fancy expensive wok isn’t really a wok, just a funny shaped pan. Its got two handles for gods sake and neither if them are long, it’s too heavy, it’s made of cast iron, its not a wok.

jairaj

gobuchul, why do you think a light wok doesn’t work well?

And yes technically a wok should have a rounded bottom not a flat bottom. It’s a different way of cooking food and the shape of the cooking vessel is important.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

We had one from the local Chinese supermarket about 10 years ago. Still going strong. But it’s huge.

Noticed a local place selling smaller ones about 3 years ago. Reduced from expensive to pennies.
    Bloke had ticked the wrong box on his order form and ordered round bottomed instead of flat. In a country that is about 99% electric hobs……. cheaper and easier to sell them off than send them back and pay restocking etc etc. 50 quid pan for about a tenner.

Glad i insisted on a gas hob.

Coyote
    Free Member

it’s light, works very well,

doesn’t have a flat base as Woks don’t

Besides the inner surface is curved and it means it can stand up on it’s own.

Woks are light weight. Karahis are heavy.

Woks were meant for cooking on an open flame so a round bottomed one can be used on a gas stove. A flat bottomed one is useful for electric.

Clobber
    Free Member

these cheap steel woks… how do you stop them going rusty?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Clean it, dry it, oil it.

No rust.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oil them after use

Drac

Yup season them and then just keep on top of them after that.

In a country that is about 99% electric hobs..

😯

DaRC_L

how do you stop them going rusty?

Season them properly at the beginning
    then just wash with warm water (no washing up liquid) and a quick blast on the hob to dry them
    Edit – I think mine is around 15 years old and is seasoned luvverly which adds to the flavour of the food (I think)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy a proper decent wok / karahi?’ is closed to new replies.