Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Where to buy a ladder
  • DT78
    Free Member

Need to paint the outside of the house, was hoping I could find someone to borrow a ladder from, but nobody has one big enough… So where is a decent place to buy from, laddersdirect comes up on Google…seems quite a bit cheaper than b&q panda the like.

Victorian terrace, so I reckon it needs to be around 5m+

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Screwfix is pretty good. I recently had to buy a new one for work and they came in cheaper than the likes of Wickes and B&Q.

stick_man

Do you need a real ladder or a step ladder?

DT78
    Free Member

A ladder that gets me to the roof line and let’s me pAint round windows….? Screw fix seems good though it looks like 7 day delivery rather than store pickup

craigxxl
    Free Member

Why don’t you just hire them if it’s just for a one off job.

DT78
    Free Member

Hire is an option appears to be £25 for a day, £35 for 2, buying is around £110 and then I’ve got a ladder for life….

craigxxl
    Free Member

and also a ladder to store/get in the way for life.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve used Midlands Ladders a few times for buying sets for work.

Zarges (brand) are the daddy. The Skymaster combination sets, although expensive are much, much, more pleasant to use than anything else out there

johndoh
    Free Member

Or hire a platform if you have space to erect it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

You are welcome to borrow my ladder for free. It is a double extending one that reaches the roof line on my house.

You can see it in the background of this picture. Make sure you secure it properly when you are up it or you may end up like the foreground of this picture

DT78
    Free Member

Hey wca, thanks for the kind offer if I can fit it in the car I,d like to take you up on it!

I’ll drop you an email (if it’s in your profile)

And that looks horrible. Really horrible. I plan to enlist the wife to hold the bottom of it….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay. I am working from home on Friday and probably kicking about the house most of Saturday.

You will need to stick it on the roof of a car or have it sticking quite a way out of the boot. I will leave it up to you.

craigxxl
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident – Member

You are welcome to borrow my ladder for free. It is a double extending one that reaches the roof line on my house.

Someone needs to take your ladders away with the track record you have for accidents.

tonyd

buying is around £110 and then I’ve got a ladder for life….

I wouldn’t imagine a 5m + ladder that costs £110 would be very good! I looked a while ago for one that I could use to clean out the gutters and anything that looked half decent was more like £300.

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve dropped you a mail nick, I’ll see if I can get the day off work on fri, I’m off tomorrow (thurs) morning

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I got a pretty good one from Wickes fairly cheap. I think it’s about 7 or 8 m long. Initially they said they didn’t have any.
    I pointed to the triple extension that was taking up nearly 4m of floor space and said whatabout that one?
    He said it was only 6m long or something.
    I said it can’t be, it’s 3 parts and the parts are each about 3.7m long.
    He looked at the label on the ladder. Nope it’s definitely a 6m ladder.
    I repeated that it couldn’t be and asked him what (3 times nearly 4m)minus two lots of overlap was.
    He said he had no idea but that was definitely a 6m ladder.
    So I changed tack and asked him how much the ladder would cost me if I took it to the counter and scanned it.
    He said £151 minus 10% off this weekend.
    So I stopped arguing and bought the £190 ladder for a 30% discount.

No idea why I decided to share that dull story with you. Sorry.

Actually I do, go to Wickes and check if they’re still putting the wrong stickers on their big ladders.

d4
    Free Member

Ebay? One of those things that people want rid of.

Picked up a massive set of ladders for less than £40 must be worth more than that as scrap ali as they weigh a ton.

On section was plenty long enough to reach upstairs windows with ease and much more solid than the modern ones I’ve seen.

Northwind

craigxxl – Member

Someone needs to take your ladders away with the track record you have for accidents.

You’ll take his ladders from his cold dead hands. Probably won’t have long to wait.

scotroutes
    WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Dt78 I haven’t received you email. If you need the later tomorrow you can collect it between 11 and 12 tomorrow. Wood has a bad knee so knock loud and wait a while. She is there. You will have to do all picking and carrying yourself. I have updated my email address on the profile. Email again If you intend to collect it tomorrow please.

Nick

DT78
    Free Member

Tried to email again, I’ll come round Friday am if it is easier for you

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You should get one on higher perches

DezB
    Free Member

If you’re in Southampton I’m about half hour away. You could go round and get mine from my garden.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer dez, I’ve arranged to borrow Nicks. Hopefully there won’t be a similar photo in a few days time!

maccruiskeen

Do you need a real ladder or a step ladder?

I’ve got a stepladder. Don’t get me wrong I love them very much and everything, but sometimes I wonder what it would have been like i I had known my real ladder.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy a ladder’ is closed to new replies.