Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Where to buy a 2nd hand road bike?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m finding myself more and more ‘road bike curious’ and so want to buy a road bike, but I’m not sure how much I’ll take to it so want to start with a 2nd hand bike, but at 6’5″ I’m struggling to find much in bigger sizes on ebay etc, so where should I look for 2nd hand bikes? Thanks.

antigee

when I lived in Sheffield the local Tri club had an active classifieds ad’s section

easygirl

I’m 6’5 and am selling a Planet X carbon bike
    E mail me if you are interested

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks easygirl, but carbon sounds likes its out of my price range (I’m hoping to spend less than £400)!

easygirl

I was only thinking £550

Jamie
    Free Member

When I became road-curious, I picked up a couple of year old Defy 2 for around £400. Look on eBay or Bikeradar.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm, these prices are going to get me into grief, the n+1 itch is flaring up again.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Cheers, there are one or two 62cm ish within my budget, but not much. Where else should I look? Thanks

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m the same height as you. I just put a wanted ad up on here and got a great deal (Thanks MrTall 🙂 )

beefheart
    Free Member

At least you’ve come out of the roadie closet.

hooli

Ebay or pinkbke but the usual beware of strangers selling on forums.

I am a similar size and bikes do come up, just not as often as midgets bikes 😆

JEngledow
    Free Member

At least you’ve come out of the roadie closet.

I wouldn’t go that far, I think I’m still in the ‘just experimenting’ stage!

funkrodent

Hi OP. I’m 6’4″ and am about (ie next week) to put a Rock Lobster cross bike on the forum. Originally bought it off here about 18months ago with a view to taking up cross racing. That didn’t materialise as I spent all my time riding it on the road and I’m now having to downsize the collection as have moved to a terrace without a garage 😥 .

It’s a race level RL alu frame, with bar end shifters (Ultegra), Ultegra brakes, a 105 Groupset and Mavic rims on 105 hubs. Superb bike, extremely light. Was going to ask £250 for it. If you’re not particularly conversant with road bike kit, 105 is broadly equivalent to XT and Ultegra sits between XT and XTR.

Anyway, let me know if you’re interested and I’ll rustle up some pictures

nemesis
    Free Member

Don’t think I’d agree that 105 is the same level as XT. SLX more like but that is a decent price for the complete bike by the sounds of it.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks funkrodent, where are you based?

funkrodent

Hi mate, I’m in Manchester, whereabouts are you?

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m in Oxfordshire, but might be oop north soon(ish) to visit my Mum!

davosaurusrex

Funkrodent – if Jengledow passes on it (this is his thread after all) I may well be interested. What size is it?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy a 2nd hand road bike?’ is closed to new replies.