Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Where to buy 2nd hand snowboard / bindings / boots ?
  • AndyPaice
    Free Member

Is there a good place(s) to buy 2nd hand snow boards / bindings / boots? And what do you need to look out for when buying the above items? Are the boards/bindings fairly durable or do they get shagged if not looked after.

I'm about 6'1" and looking for a cheapish 2nd hand set up to use for some lessons and messing about in snow (if we get any more this year). The boards are height specific right? what do I need and are there different styles of board?

Any advice appreciated.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Saw a full package in Slush and Rubble earlier today for £300. Board, boots and bindings. Seemed pretty good for a starting point.

Creg

ebay?
    ex hire equipment from ski centres?

if you have feet over size 10UK then you might need a wide or mid-wide board.

some boards can be prone to delamination if edge damage hasnt been repaired. if youre looking for something just for learning then I would just pick up something cheap as its going to get pretty smashed up anyway

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Saw a full package in Slush and Rubble earlier today for £300. Board, boots and bindings. Seemed pretty good for a starting point.

Ta, I'll have a look at that

some boards can be prone to delamination if edge damage hasnt been repaired. if youre looking for something just for learning then I would just pick up something cheap as its going to get pretty smashed up anyway

I think both me and the board may get a little smashed up ! Would learning on a dry slope damage a new/good condition board? Are they like skis where you can re-wax them?

Creg

yeah you can service a board no problem with a wax, edge sharpening and p-tex filling for the gouges. delamination is one that cannot be fixed though.

I havnt ridden on a dryslope so cant comment but have heard of people having dryslope specific boards that are usually just old boards.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Ta

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Sold a belter earlier in year – mint rossignol board, 2 sets of boots and bindings for £120! – used ebay so i would check there, with all snow in scotland there will be a few folk upgrading and letting go some older kit.

Also put a wanted post on the 'winterhighland' forum – sure you will get a result.

Other option is to try the ski'n'board room in partick, glasgow – think they do mail order and always have amazing deals on older model boards. I got a brilliant Head ICT board worth £500 for £250, it rides sooo well – had some nice stuff last time I was in.

gray

Whereabouts are you Andy? I have a Salomon Driver 160cm board for sale. Has S2 bindings. It's in pretty good nick. I also have a board bag and some boots (I normally take a UK size 9.5 or 10) if they're of any use. I'm a novice – only done 2 weeks of boarding but have now decided that skiing is much easier, so to be honest I couldn't give you much advice on whether it suits your needs, but I'm 6ft and was told it was about the right size for me, so it may well be of some use. Not sure how much it's worth to be honest, but I'd happily take £75 for the lot. I live nearish to Oxford, so if you're interested and within striking distance then let me know.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Boards are weight specific not height, the heavier you are the longer board you need. (think base surface area) However longer boards are harder to turn so if you are just learning erring on the shorter side isn't a bad idea

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Gray thanks for the offer, I could well be interested. I'm in Sheffield so a couple of hours drive away. I'm similar shoe size. Please would you drop me an email to a_paice at hotmail.com with a couple of photos of the board.

How much do you weigh? I'm near 15st so quite weighty. Do you know if the board is about right for that weight?

Creg
    AndyPaice
    Free Member

Creg – Member

This might help

Thanks 🙂 that puts me on a 160cm ish board

gray

To be honest I'm not really qualified to advise on whether it's ideal for a given weight / height combo. I bought it from a friend mainly because it was convenient and he gave it to me for a good price and in the right ball-park size-wise. I guess it's a different model year to that one in the eBay auction – mine is green. Looks broadly similar other than that, but then so do all snowboards to me! I'll email you some photos. For reference, I'm more like 12.5 stone, and 6ft. The chap that I bought it from is a bit shorter, but was probably a stone or two heavier.

Earl
    Free Member

I've got a board and bindings to sell. £150 for both.

Palmer Clutch 164 and Solomon SP5 bindings. Board seen about 15 days and binding about 30. About 4 years old now but with 2 kinds under 3 they haven't been out of the bag for a while. Excellent condition.

The board would suit your height, weight and 9-13 boot size as its midwide. Bindings best for 8-11 boots size though. The board is more of a all mountain/freeride board aimed at Int to Adv. You can ride it as a novice but not ideal. However if you have any kind of sporting ability you only stay a novice for a 3/4 days before you are riding at Int level (unless you are one of those people who are board skiers).

I'm working in Castleford so not too far away from you.

I can field any questions you have (even if you are not interested in the board and bindings) as I've been around boards since fluro.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Try snowheads.com

krag
    Free Member

Gray,

If you see this and you've still got the board/boots give me a shout as I'm local and interested.

craig . ward at gmail . com

Ta!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy 2nd hand snowboard / bindings / boots ?’ is closed to new replies.