Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Where to break a journey of the A1 between Leeds and Newcastle?
  • MoreCashThanDash

To avoid services on our trip up north next week.

Near the A1, somewhere to stretch our legs and have a bite to eat.

What do you suggest?

kayla1
    Free Member

Scorton, Catterick, Boroughbridge or Thirsk? All nice enough to get a cuppa and some non-services fuel.

chestrockwell

Knaresborough, Wetherby, Ripon, Richmond or Northallerton? All nice to look at with plenty of places to eat and not far from the motorway.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Darlington is probably more midway, hence why I suggest it over nicer places mentioned above.

Just find a supermarket like Sainsbury’s where you can enjoy some reasonable nosh in the cafe and fill up with non-Motorway price fuel.

Boroughbridge ain’t a bad call though – it’s literally just off the Motorway and has a nice town centre with some nice cafes – free parking too. Or head down to the picnic area by the river – very nice.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Boroughbridge ain’t a bad call though

Which is why we live here, 5mins walk from Morrisons too!

But you’ll only be 35-40 mins from home if you stop here.

Catterick or Leeming?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Boroughbridge ain’t a bad call though

Which is why we live here, 5mins walk from Morrisons too!

But you’ll only be 35-40 mins from home if you stop here.

Catterick or Leeming?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It only takes 1.5hrs from Leeds to Newcastle !

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It only takes 1.5hrs from Leeds to Newcastle !

scaredypants

Go A19 – Osmotherley

scaredypants

Go A19 – Osmotherley

scaredypants

Go A19 – Osmotherley

smogmonster

Avoid Richmond/Scotch Corner like the plague, the never ending roadworks mean its a permalogged with traffic as the asshats in charge don’t give a damn how long the traffic lights stay sat on red, and its been made single lane only whilst they do…..well who knows what it is they’re farting about at for so long. Getting off the A1 to Darlo is a cinch, but getting back onto the A1 involves driving through town, which can take 10 minutes on a good day, or half an hour on bad day. I’d stay clear. Id head to Bedale if i were you, its only a couple of minutes off the A1, and then you are refreshed for the boredom of driving at 50mph for the next 25 miles. Between Darlo and Newcastle there isnt much worth stopping at, Durham is beautiful but it depends if you can be bothered heading there, again the traffic there can be a nightmare…and aif youve got as far as Durham, you may as well go straight to Newcastle.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Oops, I read it wrong! Thought the OP was going south. Doesn’t make a difference though, still Leeming/Bedale.

Saying that, If I was going from Leeds to Newcastle I wouldn’t even bother stopping.

Scapegoat

Bedale. Quaint market town, nice cafes free parking (get a free disk from shops for two hours).

ninfan
    Free Member

Off at the J after the 66 for the Roman road and A68 for the scenery,

stop off at Piercebridge for Roman fort goodness

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pop up the a19 and go to redcar beach. That should convince you just to do it in one go…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pop up the a19 and go to redcar beach. That should convince you just to do it in one go…

+ 1

Teesside in general actually.

Stay on the A1.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Go A19 – Osmotherley

For one cafe?

scaredypants

Yeh, unless he’s stopping for multiple snacks/meals/days in which case, err, York*, maybe

It’s a nice place, pretty good for a short walkabout and really quite close to the A19

*by which I mean Middlesbrough, obvz !

Mackem

It’s not very far, dunno why you’d ned a break.

scaredypants

poor effort Mackem. You could at least have offered wonderland as an option.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yeh, unless he’s stopping for multiple snacks/meals/days in which case, err, York*, maybe

It’s a nice place, pretty good for a short walkabout and really quite close to the A19

*by which I mean Middlesbrough, obvz !

Except the OP is heading up the A1. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Makes no difference though heading to Newcastle. A19 is a decent plan b if the a1 is crap

RustyNissanPrairie

Need a break on the A1?
    check the engine oil,stretch the legs, fill up with fuel, take a toilet break, a quick bite to eat, buy another pack of Wurthers for the journey? Nah none of that – buy a massive dildo and something slutty for the wife to wear or maybe just a grot mag for a quick danger **** in the next layby instead?
    The A1 sex shop! Nothing answers the question of “how was your journey today my dear?” than the souvenir of a silicone replica of John Holmes’ appendage.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Another +1 for the A19, just stick to speed limit plus 2 plus 10% 79, usually see cars getting pulled going any faster

seadog101

Off at Scotch Corner, head west, Mainsgill Farm.
    Nice food, great shop, and beasties to look at if there’s kids to be entertained, Llamas!
    About 10 mins from SC.

chestrockwell

I read it that the op had a long journey so wanted to stop somewhere in the middle (between Leeds and Newcastle) rather than he was traveling from Leeds to Newcastle and wanted a break on the way?

MoreCashThanDash

Should have clarified, the stop is between Leeds and Newcastle, part of a leisurely multi day journey from Derby to Drumnadrochit.

Thanks for the ideas though.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Another +1 for the A19

Have you been on the A19 recently? There are loads of roadworks and delays.

MoreCashThanDash

Big thanks for suggesting Bedale – had the best bacon and the cob ever, and a proper Curd Tart from Thomas the Bakers.

johndoh
    Free Member

Boston Spa is just off the A1 and is a very nice place too – lots of places to eat good food have been popping up over the last few years.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Wetherby is a good option, nice wee town with lots of places to eat and very easy access off the M1.

I’ve got a house there if you need a bed for the night 🙂

scuttler

LOL at Nissan geezer.

johndoh
    Free Member

and very easy access off the M1.

A1 😉

goslow

Dales Bike Centre is only 20 minutes or so from A1.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Dales Bike Centre is only 20 minutes or so from A1.

really ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

and very easy access off the M1.

A1

A1(M) 🙂

matt_outandabout

You need a break between Leeds and Newcastle?

It is only 100 miles…

Just open the window for a minute.

johndoh
    Free Member

A1(M)

Trudat 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Just open the window for a minute.

Or you could read the whole thread properly 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Where to break a journey of the A1 between Leeds and Newcastle?’ is closed to new replies.