Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • where to bike in Newzealand?
  • oxforddan
    Free Member

Hello,

Just after some advice on New Zealand. Booked a 4 week holiday for the new year with the aim of doing some biking. Any recommendations of good trails , bike hire companies and guides would be very welcome. I'm looking for some lift assisted rides and hele biking but do not mind peddling up as well. I enjoy natural trails and anything very technical that flows well. thank you all.

timmys

I bookmarked the following thread from three months ago as I'm going to be in NZ for December. It might give you a starting point;

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mtb-holiday-in-new-zealand

thepodge
    Free Member

Ill be there in 8 weeks, some useful info in that thread

ThePilot
    Free Member

Try Rotorua and Taupo. The hostels I stayed in all had loads of info on biking. I hired a bike for a few days and just headed off. NZ is a mountain biker's paradise! I was going to move there but somehow haven't got round to it 🙄

scruzer
    Free Member

Banks Peninsula is 'local' to folk in ChCh. Otherwise just look for a mountain and you wont go far wrong. Post back if you cant find any. Its 15 years since I went there touring and mtbing was banned in National Parks but sure thats changed now, I hope. You will have the time of your life… Enjoy!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I loved Rotorua (North Island) and Wanaka (South Island) for awesome trail centre riding. I could have spent a week riding Rotorua and a good few days in Wanaka.

jonb
    Free Member

Wanaka is nice, like the queenstown but not as commercial. I went with fat tyre and did a big day out with 4×4 assist, weather wasn't good enough for heli biking. Good days riding recommended .Queenstown does/did have downhill course next to the cable car…

Rented bikes in Taupo, that was ace nice riding.

Bike rental was variable, some places I got nice new full susses. But I did more than one black run on an 80mm hardtail with v brakes. Entertaining for a little while but not more than a few hours.

I met a guy off here, paul of essence cycles in Wellington. Proper niche (I laughed when I met him as he fitted a fair few stereotypes) singlespeed steel something or other. Lent me a bike and took me fo ride in the pouring rain.

http://www.fat-tyre.co.nz/

and

essence has closed up (in frustration?) http://www.vorb.org.nz/essence-bicycles-closing-down-t101169.html

whyter

The Whacka forest by Rotorua is great fun. I did a heli drop trip organised by vertigo bikes in Queenstown which was also excellent.

Marin
    Free Member

Queenstown and Wanaka both do good heli biking and uplift service, did both but found Wanaka a bit more chilled for my liking. Will be trying them again in March, giving Nepal a bash first though in 9 weeks time 😆

Have a look at this site:tracks nz

There is lot's of riding here, however we do not have the network of bridleways and public access is limited when land is privately owned.

4 weeks is a short time in NZ, remember land mass wise we are larger than the UK. Use your time wisely. Public transport here is cr@p compared with the UK. A Vehicle is an advantage.

Some Highlights
    -Rotorua (well established "trail centre")
    -Wellington (a mixed bag of trails)
    -Queenstown (our version of a "alpine style biking")
    -Christchurch (coastal trails near town)
    -Hawkes Bay (mixed bag of trails)
    -Queen Charlotte walkway is a great multi day ride (restrictions apply)

Have fun!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘where to bike in Newzealand?’ is closed to new replies.