Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where to apply copter tape
  • yarp
    Free Member

Ive never used it before and I was wondering do you cover every inch of the frame or just the underside of the downtube and stays?

Cheers

Andy

Zoolander
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a new frame and have been considering the “copter” tape. I first thought I would put some on the stays and on the top of the top tube – I then thought why bother it’s a bike it’s supposed to get scratched. I have not yet decided though.

neninja
    Free Member

I applied it to the top of the top tube on both bikes and areas where cable rub are likely.

Normal scratches I can live with but I hate cable rubs and rubs where my muddy shorts contact the TT.

travellingman
    Free Member

On both sides of the headtube where you’re likely to get cable rub. Otherwise maybe the driveside chainstay, although there are plenty of alternatives to heli tape out there.

That’s about it really. I’ve got some on the underside of the BB shell as that’s where my single IGH cable passes but this maybe won’t be relevant.

It’s a git to apply at times. Don’t remove all of the backing in one go, just enough to apply and tease it out.

Zoolander
    Free Member

“copter” tape….. Anyone know if it’s easy to peel off and replace at a later date?

travellingman
    Free Member

Comes off very easily mate. Quite satisfying in a weird way….!

markinoxon
    Free Member

“Don’t remove all of the backing in one go” is good advice. Also, find the online vid of applying it when wet.

I didn’t do either of the above last week when when applying it to the underside of the downtube of my brand new Pipedream and almost burst into tears at the state of it; it looks like some horrible experiment on the paint work has gone wrong! I reckon my mum’s almost blind dog could have done a better job.

Cheapest seller I found was BikeTart, but it still costs twice as much when you have to buy it twice.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

+1 Wetting Tape before application.

Have a look on YouTube. Clean bike thoroughly, use Meths to finish surface, remove bottle lugs/cable ties etc. Cut tape to rough size, Bowl of water, tiny amount of washing up liquid, drop tape in water, take backing off, put on bike, slide around until correctly positioned, use credit card and sponge to squidgy/squeeze out water. It will stick like sh*t to a blanket when you’ve done this – so make sure it’s positioned. Finally, use a craft knife to trim it off where necessary, especially round bends. Use a burning cigarette or soldering iron to burn out Bottle lug holes.

If nothing else, it does give minor ding/dent protection – it’s quite thick stuff.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Cable rub fair enough but Jeezus wept bikes do get scratched! It’s called being used.

thebunk

Meh – basically you’ll scratch the frame wherever you don’t put it. Spent about a week meticulously cutting out and applying the stuff, only to scratch the inside of the chainstay with my rotor (before my first ride!) when I took the wheel off.

Then I did it again, cos I’m a stupid clumsy fecker.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where to apply copter tape’ is closed to new replies.