Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Where should I plan on retiring to?
  • DrJ

Middlesborough

No that’s not a typo.

The good thing about the ‘Boro as a retirement location is that you will find death as a welcome release.

DrJ

As I have a French wife and have always been a francophile this is most likely where we will end up.

Jamba is not 100% wrong. France has many advantages as a retirement location – as he says, property is cheaper and property taxes are not too bad. Obvious advantages in terms of weather, access to mountains and beaches. Disadvantage is that even if you speak fluent French it can be hard to be part of a community (same wherever you go, really).

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Where, grandad?

LoL Forest of Dean

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Ha ha

The good thing about the ‘Boro as a retirement location is that you will find death as a welcome release.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

We’re going to somewhere within 5 miles of Machynlleth in approx 12 months time, selling up and downsizing and i can’t bloody wait. Climach X here i come.

MoreCashThanDash

I know we moved away from here – couldn’t afford the work life balance – but having spent the last few days down with the outlaws, Sussex would be fine if you had London money to set you up to start with. Great riding and walking on tap, trains to that there London if you must, sea not far either.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Not Urmston. Traffic dire, large proportion of the population appear to be zombies or just socially constipated and the local riding is flat boredom. Rant over.

Nipper99
    Free Member

@twinw4ll – please don’t unless your going to contribute. We seem to be plagued with retirees and downsizers here, they contribute nothing in any meaningful way generally.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Nimby alert! You might have noticed that there has been a general shift in the population towards the older generation. Contribute nothing? What contributions are required for entry in this otherwise free and democratic country to the state of Machynlleth?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Nipper99, i intend to contribute and i reserve the right to buy a property where i like.

CountZero

If i had a partner that couldn’t drive who wanted to maintain independence then i’d be moving to Bristol. It’s my favourite small city, you can walk from anywhere to anywhere and you’ve got great transport links and riding on your doorstep.

Has a lot going for it these days, regeneration of the docks has improved things no-end, excellent transport links, M4/M5 give access to pretty much anywhere quickly, as does Bristol Airport, the railway is currently being upgraded to high speed electric, there are loads of good pubs, music venues, and a new 12,000 capacity arena is being built right next to Temple Meads.
    Dead easy to get out of the city by bike, it’s fifteen miles on the Sustrans path to Bath, or even further afield if you want.
    I love Devon, but I wouldn’t go to the South coast with your caveats, get south of Exeter and the roads are very narrow, and slow; if you want to get to Kingsbridge or Dartmouth quickly, get behind a bus, because everyone else has to give way to it! 😉
    If I drive down to South Hams, the last twenty miles from Exeter takes almost as long as driving from Chippenham to Exeter, and driving down to Weymouth is almost as bad; narrow roads, slow traffic, and zero passing places, I drove down to Charmouth earlier this year, got stuck behind a tractor and trailer doing 20mph for nearly eight miles before I found a stretch of road long and empty enough to pass.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Yes, but how. Pricing local families out of the housing market is contributing, are you a Welsh speaker?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Dont understand the need to be in the SE for the sake of the children. I mean, theyll be proper grown ups and able to cross the road by themselves, wont they? Might even appreciate the excuse to have the odd weekend outside thenSE visiting you in your dotage, that is assuming they dont have te gumption to move somewhere nice themselves.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I think I’ll buy a holiday home in Machynlleth.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

@twinw4ll – please don’t unless your going to contribute. We seem to be plagued with retirees and downsizers here, they contribute nothing in any meaningful way generally.

It’s the same everywhere, fella. Has been for many years now. It’s just a different group moving in.
    Many places would see “rich” incomers as an opportunity. Are you sure there’s nothing else?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I think I’ll buy a holiday home in Machynlleth

I’ll probably get 2 and leave them empty maybe 51 weeks a year.
    Then cash in on the 2nd home property price rises.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Where should I plan on retiring to?’ is closed to new replies.