Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Where should I plan on retiring to?
  • kermit
    Free Member

Evening all,

I’ve got at least 20 years until I’ll be able to afford to retire, but in true Christmas fashion, I had a few beers yesterday, then started thinking about where life would be ideal.

At the moment, I live in Epsom. It’s OK, but I’m only really staying here because it’s convenient for work (1 hour cycle to Central London) and we want to give our kids a stable upbringing (both my wife and I were moved long distances several times as kids, and I hate having no roots or childhood friendships as a result).

I’ve also got decent mountain biking within 45 minutes at Swinley and in the Surrey Hills, but I get constantly frustrated by the sheer weight of traffic everywhere, the cost of beer, meals out etc, and the fact that we’ve got a house worth over half a million, but it’s still only a thirties semi with a loft conversion!

In my dream world where I no longer have to be tied to the area for work, I yearn for somewhere I can get a bigger, detached house for less money so that there’s space for grown up kids to bring their families to stay at Christmas, and where I can literally be on trails for biking or walking within 5 minutes of my front door.

Now, obviously I could get that and more somewhere in the Highlands, but there are a couple of limitations.

Firstly, on the assumption that our kids will probably stay in the South East for work, I’d like to be within a couple of hours of London, although that doesn’t have to be by car. Somewhere with a 2 hour train ride for trips down South would work just as well.

Secondly, and possibly trickiest, it has to be somewhere near enough to a large town that my wife – who can’t drive due to diabetic eyesight problems – can easily maintain her independence on foot, bike (of the shopper variety rather than “Downtown Uddersthwaite’s just two miles down that bridleway”) or public transport.

Obviously a lot can change, and it’s a long way off, but our youngest will be off to Uni in 10 years, and home working is only going to get easier, so who knows when I might be able to make the dream a reality? There’s also the prospect of long weekends exploring possible areas with the bike in the back of the car in the meantime! 🙂

All ideas welcome! No limitations on direction, so long as there’s good riding – ideally not too steep as I’m getting older – and good country pubs.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Warrington, it’s lovely.

kermit
    Free Member

And sorry, even though I’m planning to base my retirement location largely on the quality of local riding, I guess this should probably be in the chat rather than bike section if a mod is able to move it? 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The top of a hill would appear to be quite a good bet these days 😀

matt_outandabout

Western edge of Sheffield.

End of thread.

Tracey

Just beat me, + 1for Sheffield.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Don’t come to Lowestoft gt Yarmouth or any where near here it’s crap consider yourself warned!

dantsw13

Devon coast.

sleigh62
    Free Member

Finale Ligure?
    Less than 2hr from London … great riding, plenty of towns and cities within an hours drive and now that Gove has completely fu**ed up the british education system … why not.
    Plus you get to see that big yellow thing that makes you feel good … can’t remember what it’s called now … Oh yeah … The sun!!

… Sorry … just being a miserable barsteward … too much rain and grey skies

Mbnut
    Free Member

Bath area is lovely as is the area just on the eastern edge of Cheltenham/Gloucester. Bristol is great too.

Probably South Wales for me but I have no money and don’t mind the rain!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sussex ?

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Lancaster?

2.5 hrs on the train from London. Not great riding from the door but perfect for exploring the lakes, Yorkshire Dales and there is some lovely road riding.

£500k will buy you a load of house in the area.

wilburt
    Free Member

Well done op, you’ve summarised the question I’ve been asking myself for a year or two,I havent got any good answers mind. Presently living in Suffolk which is relatively pleasant for the SE but increasingly a chav heaven so I won’t be staying. The Yorkshire Dales are lovely but thats where I moved from so it would seem like going backwards and the weathers a bit grim. Scotland and Wales feel a bit selfish toward the kids who will find more opportunity in the SE and I would like to be near them.

Maybe its France?

rOcKeTdOg

Midlands, great travel links for family, good local riding, from the door if you choose wisely & central to all other riding, 350k will get you a great house in a good neighbourhood (based on my village) no extreme weather! lots of traffic quiet lanes that are not too hilly for shopper bikes And the locals are friendly
    Based on the North Worcestershire Alps

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anywhere that I would suggest is already being ruined by the influx of cashed up elderly southerners filling family homes with just them and changing the social aspect of what made it such a great place. So stay put.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Any plans will be stuffed up once London disappears up its own arse after the next banking meltdown.

You won’t be able to give houses away if they are within an hours drive of the biggest ringpiece in Europe.

😉

(Somewhere not in the UK would be my vote, but I’m biased……..)

Wookster

Northeast / Scottish Borders for me, lakes all with in spitting distance. ( compared to Southampton anyway!! 😉 )

badnewz
    Free Member

Presently living in Suffolk which is relatively pleasant for the SE but increasingly a chav heaven so I won’t be staying.

That’s my retirement plans scuppered! Why is it so bad? I’ve driven for work around Suffolk and my impression is that it is quite an elderly population but on the whole it is a beautiful county.

postierich
    Free Member

Not the Lakes its to full!

ajt123
    Free Member

I’d say Sussex. Where I plan to go.

I’d consider moving sooner than retirement so you and the missus can build a social circle.

Where are your kids at Glyn and Rosebery? Fairly hard to beat.

State education outside of Surrey and London a bit hit or miss, so need to research or hold off until then.

Alex

timraven

I agree with Mbnut, you could do worse than come down to Bath/ Bristol area. Great transport links South Wales, Exmoor and the Cotswolds easy travelling.

Any plans will be stuffed up once London disappears up its own arse after the next banking meltdown.

😆 😆 😆

MoreCashThanDash

Mikewsmith hits the nail firmly on the head, but Ilkeston has proved a great success for our move from Sussex. Nice village just outside, 20 minutes to Derby station if you time it right, bridleways and footpaths on edge of village, 30 minutes to the White Peak by car, an hour by bike with a following wind.

And mortgage free at 46! 😀

Davesport

Scotland.

spxxky
    Free Member

Anywhere outside the UK 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Middlesborough

No that’s not a typo.

Under an hour:
    NYM’s
    Dales
    Sheffield

Just over an hour:
    Lakes
    Northumberland
    Manchester/Pennines/Hebden/etc.

3hours:
    Borders
    N. Wales

Still possible to get a 2 bed house in a nice area for less than £100k.

People bring in pie to the office on special occasions, not those tubs of ‘cakes’ from waitrose.

Pubs still do 99p a pint during happy hour.

There are takeaway’s that serve a roast dinner. This alone is a reason to drive past Watford and never look back!

chipps

I was just about to suggest Calderdale, but at the moment it appears to be under rather a lot of water…
    How about halfway up a hill in Calderdale? That’s where I am right now – amazing riding literally out of the door, I’m 3 mins walk to a train station that takes 30 mins to the middle of Manchester, or an hour to Leeds. Houses are mega cheap compared to the south – although there is a bit more weather. Ahem.
    OK, how about Nice then? 😉

scaled
    Free Member

If i had a partner that couldn’t drive who wanted to maintain independence then i’d be moving to Bristol. It’s my favourite small city, you can walk from anywhere to anywhere and you’ve got great transport links and riding on your doorstep.

Xylene
    Free Member

Sanookville Cambodia

whitestone
    Free Member

As a Lancastrian I’ll suggest Skipton. Dales on your doorstep; Calderdale about 40 mins away; Lakes is just over the hour (Staveley is 1hr15mins, Keswick 1hr40mins – actual legal driving times). Trains to Leeds run every half hour, there’s also an express London service which takes just over 3hrs.

Despite being full of Yorkshiremen it is reckoned to be one of the best towns to live in, came top in some poll earlier this year.

@thisisnotaspoon. Just how do you get from Middlesborough to Manchester in “just over an hour” or Sheffield in “under an hour”? For the latter it’s a distance of 103 miles.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon. Just how do you get from Middlesborough to Manchester in “just over an hour” or Sheffield in “under an hour”? For the latter it’s a distance of 103 miles.

The clue was in ‘a nice area’, Thirsk (nice area) to Pennistone (again, not the city center, but somewhere to ride from) is under 1 hour.

whitestone
    Free Member

Thirsk is hardly Middlesborough now is it? It’s a bit like saying Lancaster is a nice area in Manchester.

scaredypants

Well, you’re too early for 2016, TinaS, but you’ve definitely pocketed this year’s most creative use of the word Middlesbrough !

peepingtom
    Free Member

Richmond / Bedale etc ,but NOT Middlesbrough !

Harry_the_Spider

We’re planning on being in Dorset in 20 years time.

Better weather than Manchester, some biggish towns so it won’t be like living in the boonies, better weather than Manchester. And the weather is better than Manchester.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I stick with my Sussex suggestion as it ticks your bixes and it isn’t too far from where you are now and I would imagine you’ve made local friends. Also you have North and South downs riding on your doorstep, mtb, cross, road – your choice. Dorset is great too but imo the riding isn’t as good.

Maybe its France?

As I have a French wife and have always been a francophile this is most likely where we will end up. Property and cost of living much lower (France is a bad place to earn money due to high taxes but it means most things are cheaper as people have less to spend). Plus if younown a property and pay the associated annual taces yiu get access to the French health system as a local,would. Obviously anyone thinking of it needs to be working on their langauge skills (night school classes are cheap as chips) and its a huge country so very many places to consider (excellent fun researching when on holiday). OP having a house to host the kids/grandkids is a draw, but how often will they stay over ? If you where in France or rural Sussex they could stay every half term, Easter, summer etc ?

Happy pontificating 8)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

One hour into London from Epsom? Blimey – you hammer it a bit don’t you? Takes me an hour and fifty from Leatherhead, what with the traffic lights and massed bus rallies after Clapham. Got a secret route?

As to retirement – you could move nearer the Surrey Hills if you like this part of the world – best offroading in the Southeast and still within striking distance of The Big Smoke…

Edit: Although, after retirement, you’ll probably be winding down on the biking front I guess. D’you like to be beside the seaside?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Retired at 55. Trails 10mins then hundreds of acres of woodland, trail centre, off piste trails. Three gyms in town 15 min walk to mine across the park and lake. Bike shop, dental and medical 10 mins on foot. Railway station 20mins walk past the lake. London 2 1/2 hours Gatwick 3. Local airports 1 hour. Bike Park Wales 1 hour, Afan 1:30, Quantocks 1:20, Cmw Carn 45 mins

I downsized, less to maintain, no grass. Afternoon sun on patio in the rear not over looked. Garage for bikes. Detached. Own shared drive.

If you define retirement by what you do 2 fo 3 hour round trip to trails isn’t sustainable. You just driving in the rat race again.

Sat in Cape Town after Xmas now heading for two weeks MTB in Stellenbosh

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Although, after retirement, you’ll probably be winding down on the biking front I guess. D’you like to be beside the seaside?

Huh? I do more than ever as do most retirees as we have the time. Not ready for the slippers and pipe thanks

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Guy in our cross league started moving up the rankings quite effectively in the 3 or 4 years after he retired (at 60 maybe?) ended up placing at the masters worlds one year.
    It’ll probably be when i get the most time to ride my bike since i was in my 20s, and effectively unemployed.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Retired at 55. Trails 10mins then hundreds of acres of woodland, trail centre, off piste trails. Three gyms in town 15 min walk to mine across the park and lake. Bike shop, dental and medical 10 mins on foot. Railway station 20mins walk past the lake. London 2 1/2 hours Gatwick 3. Local airports 1 hour. Bike Park Wales 1 hour, Afan 1:30, Quantocks 1:20, Cmw Carn 45 mins

I downsized, less to maintain, no grass. Afternoon sun on patio in the rear not over looked. Garage for bikes. Detached. Own shared drive.

Where, grandad?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Where should I plan on retiring to?’ is closed to new replies.