Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Where should I live if I come back to the UK???
  • adrianp7
    Free Member

Not that I want to start a north-south war but it might be that I will be moving back to the UK next year from Vancouver, BC and I am wondering where might suit an moderately able all-styles round cyclist best?

So here's the ideal

A) Mountain bike territory – no more than an 1 hours drive from serious outdoors and within 30-45 minutes ride of year round trails for 3-4 hour loops of sweepy/techy/singletrack/woods on long travel hardtails. On balance more riding from the door than epics requiring long dull motorway drives. No interest in North Shore hucking…
    B) Road bike scenery – similar to above but with tarmac for nice sunny days on some boutique carbon -like a bit of climbing, sportives and country lanes don't like hoards of knobs in 4x4s

I used to live near Dorking which was great but a little samey. Loved the Peak District when I went there on a couple of bike camping weekends

roundwheels
    Free Member

Edinburgh/borders

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Somewhere between Edinburgh and Peebles.
    Wales.
    Inverness area.
    Lake District.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Cockermouth ?

Property will be good value in a month or two 🙂

Coat please!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Cheltenham.

The cotswold ride locally and wales sub 1 hour away.

stumpyjon

Calderdale / Rossendale / RIbble Valley. Loads of natural riding from the door and 2 possibly soon to be 3 fledgling trail centres within 30 mins if you pick the right place. Loads of small lanes with scenary for road riding. Close to big cities like Manchester and the motorway network. An hours drive from the Lakes, Peaks, Yorkshire Dales, 2 hours from the Yorkshire Moors and North Wales. Housing is relatively cheaper too.

GlenMore
    Free Member

Scottish Borders

DickBarton

Stirling or Perth, Central Scotland (although Perth might argue they are more north than Central!)

Kendal
    Free Member

Lakes

allthepies
    Free Member

Scotland somewhere.

neil853
    Free Member

second the north west, its certainly the best placed area for all sorts of riding

badblood
    Free Member

Somewhere near Newcastle? Spitting distance from great riding, handy for trail centres and M1 for getting further afield, great scenery and good value property

ampthill

Sheffield for the Peak district

or North Yorkshire

Sheffield

takisawa2

If I had to shift from the Midlands I'd probably also head for somewhere like Sheffield. Wales maybe.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Adrian, I did the same a few years back. Dorking – Vancouver (for a year) – Dorking. Cant beat the surrey hills for woodsy riding, although to be fair it aint the Northshore where I used to live! good road riding, better weather than up north, can ride from the door as well – but of course you know all this!

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Does your job come into it?

If so Id reckon on Leeds or Edinburgh just because they are big cities with decent local riding and lots of jobs potential

crazy-legs

Kendal.
    Easy access to all the Lake District, some fantastic road and MTB right from the door yet never as crowded as the rest of the Lakes. Also easy access to the M6, you can be up at the 7Stanes within 3hrs.
    Peak District and North Wales is about 2hrs the other way.

Oxenholme Station (West Coast main line) is nearby.

cp

Sheffield! great city, loads of local riders, peaks is half an hour ride away, wharncliffe woods on your doorstep, easy motorway up to Yorkshire for a change of scenery, hilly scenic road rides in the peak, or flat road rides out into Lincolnshire…

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'd suggest Molesey/Surbiton/Leatherhead/Esher in Surrey 30 mins from London 30 mins from the surrey hills and swinley, local riding in esher and so on. 2 hours from the quantocks, near the north downs etc.

The North is lovely but I prefer a nearby metropolis myself more opportunity down here I think and easier to get to France for "full on" riding. 8 Hours or so to Scotland 5 hours to the Alps.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Crazy Legs – if it takes you 3 hours to get from Kendal to Glentress then you drive like an old woman 😉 I used to do Stirling – Milnthorpe in less than that given a clear run, and 3 hours if it was snarled up!

I would say Cumbria, North Yorkshire, Peaks, Wales and… of course… pretty much any of Scotland. Not in that specific order – all depends what you want from your wider life really.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Joolsburger – ever been to Scotland? Both Edinburgh and Glasgow are real cities with all the facilities that you could need and don't try to compare the riding!"

Smee
    Free Member

Ednburgh or the borders would be ideal. What a lot of people dont know is that the road biking down here rivals the mtbing.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I lived in Broughton street for a year and a half.

I love Scotland in the summer! Edinburgh is a great town but it's too cold!

Much as MTB is important there is also work and all that to consider and I think the SE is quite well known for being a busy spot and the OP lived nearby before.

clubber
    Free Member

Bristol is another good bet – good riding locally, Wales, Mendips, Quantocks nearby if you want to go further afield.

As for road riding, it's brilliant. 10 mins to get out into the countryside and there's miles and miles of country roads, decent hills to the South (the Mendips) and North (Cotswolds) or you can even choose flat routes for a change by following the coast.

And the city itself is a great place to live.

crazy-legs

Crazy Legs – if it takes you 3 hours to get from Kendal to Glentress then you drive like an old woman

I said *within* 3 hrs! Covers all bases that way – bad traffic and old-woman style slow driving! 😉

njee20
    Free Member

As for road riding, it's brilliant. 10 mins to get out into the countryside and there's miles and miles of country roads, decent hills to the South (the Mendips) and North (Cotswolds) or you can even choose flat routes for a change by following the coast.

Having been at Uni in Bristol and harking from the Surrey Hills I much prefer the road riding around Surrey! The local MTBing is far better in Surrey too, although the proximity of Wales to Bristol is good.

docrobster
    Free Member

Another vote for Sheffield- south west of the city if you can afford it.
    Can cycle off road from city centre to peak district in 1/2 hour. Can be in the dales in 90mins by car. Lakes 3-3 1/2 hours. Cardiff/ S. Wales trail centres similar, but to be honest with the dark peak on the doorstep, why bother?

khewett
    Free Member

if i had the choice to live anywhere the Lakes (maybe not last week though)

Saddly tied to commuting into London currently so Dorking way is good!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Dorset/Purbecks, a bit like most of the places mentioned, but with better weather (apart from this week!). Mountain biking is reasonable with great sea views and loads of riders about. Loads of roadies too and nice road riding (if a little bit trafficy in summer).

clubber
    Free Member

njee – funny, I grew up/lived in SW London so know Surrey very well and prefer Bristol riding – each to their own I guess 🙂

snowslave

I'd vote for Hayfield.

grumm
    Free Member

The North is lovely but I prefer a nearby metropolis myself more opportunity down here I think and easier to get to France for "full on" riding. 8 Hours or so to Scotland 5 hours to the Alps.

How is it 5 hours to the Alps from Surrey? 😕

snowslave

life's so fast down south, distances just blur.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

another bristol vote, so close to wales (5 mins for me as im North bristol) or pop down to the quantocks, tons of riding locally if you know where… im not a fan of the centre of bristol but if you like busy cities i guess its good, and lots of local small villages with nice pubs!!

teagirl
    Free Member

Around Skipton and the Dales is where you want to be, loads of biking around and easy access to The Lakes, 7Stanes, Calderdale and Northumberland. Good biking scene and bike shops too! Affordable housing (well, most of it) and gorgeous scenery. I've moved all over the country in my time and don't ever want to move from here. Gush!

Bimbler
    Free Member

If I had the choice I'd go west young man, better biking than the SE and nicer than the north imo

jam-bo

westcountry is best.

pastyland for the win.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Car to gatwick 20 mins, check in 1 hour, flight one hour 30, car from Geneva to Borg 2 hours leaves 1 hour for all the bits – about 5 hours what? That's how long it takes when I go skiing might need to add a bit for checking in the bikes.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Hopefully I am about to do exactly what you are planning and heading for 'The Borders' or Northumberland near the Cheviots, depends on a few factors. I am only moving back after 11 years in exile in Ireland though.

Out of interest why do you want to move from Vancouver?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Where should I live if I come back to the UK???’ is closed to new replies.