• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Where should I go camping within an hour of Chester?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

A mate of ours is leaving the country and his goodbye do is in Chester. Unusually we have the rest of the weekend free so we might go camping but don’t know where to go. We’ve done Shropshire, the North Wales coast is largely grotty, we live in the Peak District anyway and the rest is Liverpool or Manchester. Where in rural North Wales is exceptionally pretty? Or is there anywhere else worth going?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Delamere is always a laugh Luke.
    Anglesey is lovely too…

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

*Where in rural North Wales is exceptionally pretty?*
    Ceiriog valley?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

the North Wales coast is largely grotty,

Where in rural North Wales is exceptionally pretty?
    How incredibly rude. I shan’t dignify you with anywhere decent in North Wales then. It’ll save you a lot of bother.

saxabar
    Free Member

Oh come on, it’s true – lovely coast but the towns have seen better days (and I live here).

Anglesey a contender but you’ll be pushed to do it an hour. Beddgelert has some stunning nearby vistas (and campsites) so that should be on the list.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Oh come on, it’s true – lovely coast but the towns have seen better days (and I live here).

Up the Flintshire coast is a bit ropey, but from Colwyn Bay onwards until about Cardiff, I think is OK. As for asking for somewhere exceptionally pretty within an hour of Chester. I’m sorry, I just can’t think of anywhere that would satisfy the OP.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Rivington is about an hour from Chester. Loggerheads/Clwyd’s are about 30minutes. Llangollen is about 40 minutes. Ellesmere is nice but not too sure about campsites in the area. Anglesey is about 1hr 30 minutes from Chester.

mrhoppy

Anglesey is about 1hr 30 minutes from Chester.

Is it bobbins. I can be in Valley from Shrewsbury in 2 hours doing A5/A55.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I was going to say “if I wanted to be somewhere pretty in an hour, I wouldn’t start from Chester.”

But actually, somewhere up the wirral could be quite nice. No personal knowledge of camping but I used to live there.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve driven to Anglesey quite a few times from the Peak District (Buxton/Leek) and it’s quite easily 1 1/2 hours from Chester and sure enough that’s what the SatNav says too. I’m sure you can do it quicker if you drive faster, and I’m sure you can take longer if you drive slower.

Shrewsbury

What about Shropshire hills OP? Seriously.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

How about Thursaston on Wirral?

Views of North Wales across the Dee, Wirral Way, cycle/walk across to Hilbre Island etc.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

it bobbins. I can be in Valley from Shrewsbury in 2 hours doing A5/A55.

You have never stuck to the speed limits or experienced A55 traffic then 😉

binners

llandudno fits the bill. Its bloody lovely, unlike the Toxteth-on-Sea Welsh coastal ‘resorts’ closer to…. erm…. Toxteth

SiB
    Free Member

I’ll second the caravan park at Thurstaston on the Wirral but I’ve got a feeling they don’t accept tents, just tourers and statics, I might be wrong though. Fab views of N Wales over the Dee, walk to Hilbre Island as tide is going out (from West Kirby) Wirral Way walking……….but keep it to yourself, we like it to stay quiet!

jekkyl

betwyscoed or llangollen, both will be ace if mtbing too. degla within 30 mins of gollen and the marin plus loads of natural from betwys.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Camping in the Forest @ Beddgellert

munrobiker
    Free Member

Captainsasquatch- I’ve been to Rhyl. I stand by my comments. (Although when I said “Where in North Wales is really pretty?” I was asking, it wasn’t a sarcastic rhetorical question)

I’d love to go to Abersoch but it’s too far, which means Anglesey is also out (though we have been before, same with Shropshire/Shrewsbury).

Llangollen and Ceiriog Valley looks alright, as does Thurstaston. Thanks very much.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Captainsasquatch- I’ve been to Rhyl. I stand by my comments

As you assume that the whole coast is like Rhyl, I can’t make any offers of places to stay.
    Most of North Wales is exceptionally pretty with the exception of a few places like Rhyl, Prestatyn, Flint and ironically Abersoch, the latter having more to do with the Cheshire set ruining it. 😆

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Llangollen is probably your best bet.
    Look for Abbey Farm, its just after the horseshoe pass on the left of the hill dropping down into Llangollen town itself.

Llandegla is around the corner if you have the bikes with you

Abbey Farm itself has a small bar, or if you fancy the walk into town its not actually that far to go, walk along the canal and take a torch if you plan on heading back late

Marin
    Free Member

Cant think of any places to pitch a tent on Wirral. Hoylake Prom good if you have a camper. Toxteth Tesco has a big carpark. Locals friendlier than the Peak District.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Where should I go camping within an hour of Chester?’ is closed to new replies.