Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Where should I camp near Knutsford, Cheshire?
  • CliveA

Heading up to Cheshire and Manchester this weekend by train. Plan is to go to Tatton Park on Sunday (girlfriend loves posh gardens) and then into Manchester on Sunday.

I’m looking for campsite recommendations. Near Knutsford (within walk or short train ride). Simple is good, cheap is good.

Any tips? Ta.

CliveA

Bump. (sorry – just ‘cos I posted this late last night, I need to find somewhere and I’m sure someone here must know somewhere!)

monksie
    Free Member

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=10213

Royal Vale gets a good review. Does it have to be near to Tatton Park? If my criteria was a posh country house and gardens and then a day in Manchester, I’d be camping near Chatsworth and getting the train in to Manchester somewhere on the Sheff/Manchester line.
    Tatton really isn’t all that good (or maybe hundred of visits when the off spring was younger has jaded me).

ourmaninthenorth

Just wild camp in Tatton Park…. 😉

(I’m sure the deer won’t mind)

tops5
    Free Member

Delamere? There’s a camp site and station there

IHN

Not Tatton Park, but:

http://www.peaksandplains.co.uk/directory/elm-beds-caravan-and-camping-site

Train to Poynton or Middlewood and from Poynton or Middlewood into Manchester. You’d probably want to get a cab from Poynton station though, it’s about two and a half miles. Middlewood is about a mile down the Middlewood Way (disused railway line, now footpath)

Nice walk into Lyme Park for posh gardens (of BBC Pride and Prejuduce fame). And parkland, deer etc.

Tatton Park is more parkland than posh gardens if I remember rightly.

CliveA

Thanks all for your tips.

I’ve settled on Royal Vale, as it’s walking distance from Tatton Park. The bloke on the phone sounded very friendly, and I suspect there’s a country pub nearby.

Ta all!

donsimon
    Free Member

Do people really camp in Cheshire? How awfully quaint.

CliveA

don simon – Yes, they do if they’re visiting places and people south of Manchester, it’s summertime and they’ve got better things to spend money on than hotels.

donsimon
    Free Member

they’ve got better things to spend money on than hotels.

I’d have to agree on that one, there’s just too much work involved in making a profit in the world of hotels these days.
    Do you think we should open a campsite then?

CliveA

Do you think we should open a campsite then?

Well, that would depend on who you are, and what you’re on about, I suppose.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Where should I camp near Knutsford, Cheshire?’ is closed to new replies.