Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Where shall I disappear to?
  • badnewz
    Free Member

Campervan, Europe – MTB in Alps, North and South Spain, party in Croatia, explore Albania. May to September.
    Well that’s what I’m doing anyhow!

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yes Ziva as in Ziva David. I always loved the name and figured if I ever get a cat I get to call him Gibbs!

If I went to France to live with my parents I’d only really have to chip in for food, they have suggested it before and converting their garage into a house for me and if I had a job that I could do online id probably be there!

I’ve also considering using the 10k to reskill and do something new but it seems a waste somehow.

sadexpunk

yep, definitely in an enviable position 🙂

so youve been in education so far? you thought about taking a TEFL course and teaching english abroad? my bro’s in that business and seems to me its a job you can do in pretty much any country you wish to visit/live. dont like the place youre at? move on to the next country you fancy 🙂

took one myself a few years ago with a view to emigrating, but too much going on here to have made it happen.

igm

I’d have thought teaching English in the Alps might be worth checking out – there’s probably a market. You’d have to learn French first of course but that’s only reasonable.

But wait a minute – “trained careers advisor” and you’re asking us?

Really? 😉 Us, with our knowledge?

perthmtb
    Free Member

China! Tis the future innit?

Teach English, learn Mandarin, and do a bit of travelling – do it while you’re still young and I don’t think you’ll ever regret the experience.

The dog may be better left at home though 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And to add it’s just been cold and wet all day today down here in this bit of Oz so at least it will be a bit greener…

mark90
    Free Member

Yes Ziva as in Ziva David. I always loved the name and figured if I ever get a cat I get to call him Gibbs!

Our daughter is called Abi, different spelling but at least partially inspired by. I refer to our son as G (we do actually know his name though) 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

I went to Vienna. I absolutely love it.

I went to Vienna. I absolutely hated it.

Beautiful city ruined by beautiful people who walk around with their faces tripping them and a bad attitude. Wouldn’t go back, prepared to give the rest of Austria a chance but it’s a big no-go for me now.

Bratislava on the other hand was awesome if small. Budapest would be my preference if it was a city on the Danube.

Golfchick – you’re lucky, I know what you mean about ‘wasting’ money on retraining. I’d take the opportunity to get out and do some stuff you never had the time or money to do before without anything tying you down. Call it a sabbatical if you have to 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

Visit GeordieLand or have a look around.

I can show you around, you can teach me to play golf in the GeordieLand or we explore the place together if you wish, I like dog (got plenty of dogs myself) and then we can date … how hard can that be?

D’oh! Not sure if I am doing this correctly but how do you pull nowadays?

😛

p/s: as for other European countries I think I would prefer a place with fewer people and near to the sea … Austria is fine when I was there. Nobody said anything about some funny looking foreigner …

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m currently in the eye of storm on my way to a similar situation as you GolfChick!

No dog for me though….and I love my job (self employed musician/guitar teacher) so I’m kinda reluctant to leave that.

Anyway, I plan on doing a ski season in the Alps this winter, straight to Nepal for a month trekking. Back home for 6 weeks to earn some cash. Then over to Indonesia for a month. Back home for 3 month to save some more cash….then will come the big decision….I’ll either carry on travelling around the school holidays or give up my jobs buy a round the world plane ticket and selling everything that I own!

Xylene
    Free Member

10k – coke and gigolos

About 10 years ago, I had an interview for the Marshall Islands, that I turned down, in retrospect still a good things to do, but it is always somewhere I have wanted to live for a while.

andyl
    Free Member

Don’t know if this already exists but if not…I know you like baking so start an online blog/website doing English reviews of places to eat etc in France. go round in a campervan, take Ziva and your bike. Get plenty of advertising revenue from youtube and website adverts.

You could find a theme like diners, drive ins and dives. Cover nice cafes, places that sell food etc and aim it at tourists, ex-pats, people touring etc.

Use your folks place as a base.

I was reading the other day about the girl who started a fashion video blog on youtube and is doing very well out of the revenue from youtube.

oh and then branch out to other European countries on tour.

iolo
    Free Member

Beautiful city ruined by beautiful people who walk around with their faces tripping them and a bad attitude. Wouldn’t go back, prepared to give the rest of Austria a chance but it’s a big no-go for me now.

I can’t say I find bad attitude here. I do find they don’t tolerate fools but I have had mostly good people wherever I am.
    Maybe they’re nicer if you’re nice to them? And the fact that if you learn their language (I am in the process but far from fluent) then they are much more open maybe?

Sandwich

teach me to play golf

From memory it’s the car not the game. Do keep up at the back!

For Austria, I would be off to Graz in a heartbeat if Mrs S would agree and we could find employment.

iolo
    Free Member

Graz is a great place. And close to Slovenia for day trips. The Austrian Slovenian border is beautiful among the vineyards.

andyl
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    Visit GeordieLand or have a look around.

I can show you around, you can teach me to play golf in the GeordieLand or we explore the place together if you wish, I like dog (got plenty of dogs myself) and then we can date … how hard can that be?

😆

GC looks like you got an admirer. He needs a bit of help understanding the golf bit though.

chewkw
    Free Member

andyl – Member
    GC looks like you got an admirer. He needs a bit of help understanding the golf bit though.

If you are a bloke then you are on your own. Not homo me. 😆

Golf as the car or golf as in the swinging a stick against a ball?

cheese@4p

Todmorden for sure

duntstick
    Free Member

Came from Todmorden originally, now South of France…….tough call!

Daffy

Bavaria.

andyl
    Free Member

If you are a bloke then you are on your own. Not homo me.

Golf as the car or golf as in the swinging a stick against a ball?

You’re a sandwich short of a picnic aren’t you! 😆

GC = golfchick ie I was warning her she has an admirer ie YOU!

and golf as the VW – hence the VAG jokes.

mboy
    Free Member

Do what almost everyone else I know who’s had a mid life crisis has done…

Get a job in a bike shop!

Speaking of which, may I mention that currently I’m recruiting! 😉

nickc

Same situation as you a few months ago. Moved out of the South East Rat race, and relocated to West Yorkshire. Now live on Blue Pig descent in Heptonstall.

Second answer on the thread was pretty much bob on

munrobiker
    Free Member

I went to uni in St Andrews. As a place to live it is weird and a little expensive, however if you were to live in Dundee or Tayport you could ride in. It’s an hour to the Highlands, you have the sea on your doorstep, it’s the sunniest bit of Scotland and one of the driest, there are nice walks from the door along the coastal path and in tentsmuir forest.

The doorstep riding in St Andrews and Tayport is not superb, but the uni cycling club has managed to work pretty well with what they have and there’s an exciting selection of trails built up in Kemback woods by both them and the locals, and tentsmuir passes.an afternoon. Gentress is just over an hour south and dundee has the sidlaws and ochils within riding distance.

Being up there has given me the love of mountains I have now, it’s an easy drive up to the south east cairngorms around Glen Clova or the Perthshire Highlands around Blair Atholl and Dunkeld are a smidgen over an hour north.

Try it, Scotland is great. Abroad would be nice but realistically you are outside the age range most non EU countries.offer short term non skills based visas for so getting and Australian or Canadian visa may be tricky. If you can speak French however France is right there!

munrobiker
    Free Member

And that is all true. Been to Vienna twice and hated it. It was so bad the first time we left two days early. The rest of Austria is lovely though, but I’m not sure I’d want to live there.

CHB

San Diego.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never judge a place based on going on Holiday there…

munrobiker
    Free Member

I lived In Australia and wouldn’t want to recommend that either Mike 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fair enough, all of it?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Maybe don’t immediately think about upping sticks and then re-settling – maybe think about upping sticks and travelling. With not much money at all you can travel all over the World by volunteering. Consider registering with Help Exchange (helpx.com)? You can live months at a time working on all kinds of projects in all kinds of,places. Check out the host profiles and reviews, make a plan. When I registered it was about 18 quid. Soon had an offer come in from Canada working out in the wilds. I have many friends and acquaintances who travel the World year round this way, and eventually some find somewhere they want to stay for good.

More importantly – many find just what it is that they want to do with the rest of their lives. After trying so many new things and using a wide variety of old and newly-learned skills, meeting a wide variety of personalities…you have a much better chance of finding what it is that makes you happy and fulfilled – rather than what you could simply do to make you survive. Footloose and fancy free can be a great place to be, but we often look to re-settle immediately…which can be like landing a big fish, but then throwing it back in the water and eating the tackle instead.

All the best, and may the road rise to meet you.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yes female, Yes golf as in the car. I have contemplated moving up north though but just because my best mate lives in Darlington and I know I could live with him until I had myself a job or somewhere to go and do.

The working and travelling thing did occur to me yeah in terms of registering for things to go and do but the problem is Ziva and I wont abandon her. I’ve also considered winter resort jobs in the alps and then spend the summer doing whatever I like, go back and live with my parents, travel during summer etc.

It’s not so much the career advice which of course I should know haha its more about some places everyone would love to go and what combinations can be achieved. I’ve not seen a great deal of Europe and have wanted for some time now to book a ferry ticket, sleep in the car and just move about.

My best mate is in a similar position, he has some savings, hates his job, has a big family but no partner and kids etc and I’ve told him whatever I do he can come, then there would be the two of us!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sorry for the speedread tardy answer – please ignore*, I only read footloose and free, not the dog bit 😳

Since being a dog owner myself life is considerably less fancy free but he does snore me to sleep at night and is our boon companion.

*Wouldn’t write off WWOOFing/volunteering with a dog though, as some hosts may welcome it. Pun unintended.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Where shall I disappear to?’ is closed to new replies.