Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Where is this? Is it in the peak district???
  • crazy-legs

Yes, it’s the start of The Beast.

HERE

GavinB

Yup, top of fluffy bunnykins.

I bloody love the Beast – propping the gate is proper city boy cockishness though. Sometimes Strava sucks bawls!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    I bloody love the Beast – propping the gate is proper city boy cockishness though. Sometimes Strava sucks bawls!

Sometimes making claims based on nothing but speculation will make you look very silly…

There are a lot of reasons that gates are left open/propped open. Unless you were there how do you know why it was.

hora
    Free Member

Ive never seen ANY sheep herded on the Beast by a farmer or used as a farming route. Its too narrow too.

That’d help get you a good Strava time though

Onzadog
    Free Member

Funny, to my mind, that gate is the start of fluffy kitten. The bit from the cross roads down to the get is just getting to it.

Perhaps that’s because I grew up in a time and place where you learned the countryside code (and hence how to operate gates) at a young age.

Pook

Mike – normally I’d agree with you, but for this gate in particular I’m with those who reckon it’s been propped by riders.

oldnpastit

I think if you propped the gate open it would make that top section a bit easier,

Superficial
    Free Member

Funny, to my mind, that gate is the start of fluffy kitten. The bit from the cross roads down to the get is just getting to it.

Yeah, although the segment actually starts before the gate unfortunately.

willber
    Free Member

Its just a gate

Makes me chuckle seeing how bent out of shape people get by the smallest things.

jekkyl

create a new segment that starts after the gate?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Its just a gate

Indeed, how hard is it to close it behind you?

I can confirm that going out to heard livestock because some **** left the gate open is more of a PITA than closing it in the first place.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Willber – trolling or clueless?

hora
    Free Member

Not so long ago I came across all gates propped open -from the bottom of the Roman road to the top at Hope Cross.

What is Strava and who cares if your ranked 50 out of other faceless random people on the internet. Wierd folk out there.

martinhutch

Having said that, do we know that the gate wasn’t propped by the landowner to make his or her life easier? When I see a gate propped as opposed to just left open, I tend to leave it be.

Pompous name twitter man is making a few assumptions there.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

So assuming it’s Strava, someone rode down propped open the gate then rode back up to the top of the segment to ride down again? Seems plausible….

thepodge
    Free Member

Idiots existed long before Strava

hora
    Free Member

Having said that, do we know that the gate wasn’t propped by the landowner to make his or her life easier? When I see a gate propped as opposed to just left open, I tend to leave it be.

So hes sheep can wander off down lanes and scattered far and wide? Why do you think they maintain walls and wire fences? For visual effect?

That gate is tiny across -its not designed for farm traffic.

willber
    Free Member

Not trolling – maybe clueless, but I prefer to maintain a sense of perspective. There are more important things to worry about, global economic crisis, raging civil wars that threaten to erupt into all out chaos, being diagnosed with a life changing illness – where as a gate being propped open…… Just makes me wonder why people get sooooo pissed off. Its JUST A **** GATE.

Pook

I think the issue is the impact it has Wilbur. Yes it’s just a gate, but if it’s meant to be shut as the sign says and it’s not, and the grazing stock scatter, the likely blame will be laid at riders’ doors. It just doesn’t do us any favours really.

martinhutch

Is it the last gate between the high pasture and the road? Is there another gate higher up? You may well be right, it was clueless idiots. But sometimes it’s a bit harder to tell whether the farmer has propped it himself to make it easier to take a quad up there. There are plenty of gates round me in the Dales which are either virtually permanently left open or regularly propped by the landowner.

Willber…it’s all about perspective, you’re right. If the gate was propped by some idiot, it might be hundreds of pounds worth of roadkill losses, or a day spent rounding up scattered sheep. I’m sure if someone caused you to lose substantial amounts of money, or waste that amount of time, you’d be on here moaning about it, and not particularly receptive to someone telling you to get a grip because Ukraine was in crisis.

hora
    Free Member

global economic crisis, raging civil wars

Are you pissed?

the gate is too narrow for a quad bike.

Why not just leave gates open, nice to see sheep on Snake Pass. Also make those farmers work abit harder collecting their flocks huh.

banks
    Free Member

Usually do this as part of a night ride and it’s always shut, there’s a few feed buckets dotted the beast too.

It’s threads like this which make STW…

martinhutch

Fair enough. On this occasion, highly cockish behaviour! Awaits analysis of yesterday’s posted Strava times to identify the suspects…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I used to be a close-every-gate person, regardless of how I found it. My father in law – who ran a farm and has come from generations of famers – taught me to take stock (pun intended) of the surroundings to decide whether it’s been left open deliberately by the land-owner. It’s a bit of common sense, but if in any doubt I tend to close them.

Sometimes making claims based on nothing but speculation will make you look very silly…

There are a lot of reasons that gates are left open/propped open. Unless you were there how do you know why it was.

Last time I came down there, it was propped open and there was a guy on a DH bike sessioning with 2 lads sat by the gate filming. They may well have shut it after, but I do know this happens here.

Thanks

rogerthecat
    Free Member

but if in any doubt I tend to close them.

^^^ this – the local farmers I know have said they would prefer to have to open a gate closed in error than chase livestock all over the hills.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Can’t believe I didn’t recognise it I have been up and down the beast plenty of times. On a side note are there any other decent trails in those woods other than the beast? The footpath that cuts of the beast after the first corner is a nice bit of cheeky. Any other suggestions?

unovolo
    Free Member

Back in the day we used to bunny hop stuff like that…. friggin lightweights.

hora
    Free Member

Sessioning the Beast ‘DH’?!

Nothing in those woods- its all muddy mulch off the stone paths

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    Last time I came down there, it was propped open and there was a guy on a DH bike sessioning with 2 lads sat by the gate filming. They may well have shut it after, but I do know this happens here.

Thanks
    &

propping the gate is proper city boy cockishness though. Sometimes Strava sucks bawls!

So you have seen people on DH bikes playing on it and now it’s Stava’s fault?

proutster
    Free Member

hora
    Nothing in those woods- its all muddy mulch off the stone paths

Not looked far?

There’s some great, steep, DH trails not a very long stone’s throw away. Or are there? 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

I think Hora knows what’s there. And I think he thinks you should probably edit your post.

matt_outandabout

There’s some great, steep, DH trails not a very long stone’s throw away. Or are there?

Narnia?

banks
    Free Member

First rule of cheeky….

Trails getting battered since its last mention on here.

proutster
    Free Member

Sorry 😳

Too late to edit. A 😉 would’ve helped a numpty like me out.

banks
    Free Member

: ) i just just feel sorry for the poor bastards who dig/dug it.

So you have seen people on DH bikes playing on it and now it’s Stava’s fault?

Judging by some of the times posted down there I would guess it’s been done on a DH bike with the gate open. Why are you being such an arse?

Of course not having psychic powers I can’t be 100% certain.

I enjoy using Strava, but it can lead to cockish behaviour. Even on our rides it can lead to people riding too fast into dangerous situations – blind corners etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Judging by some of the times posted down there I would guess it’s been done on a DH bike with the gate open. Why are you being such an arse?

Because in a Daily Fail way you are linking 2 things together because you want to bash one of them. It’s becoming a fairly lazy thing round here to grumble a bit then blame strava, before all of this tech came out I’ve seen all of the behaviours that you describe all attributable to people making decisions and not respecting their surroundings and environment. I’ve done it and most in here will have done it. Perhaps the prevalence of trail centre riding has lead people to think they are on 1 way bike trails more than they are not, perhaps the growth in mountain biking means there are less people who can correlate between their speed and actions and the possibility that there are other users, perhaps there are a lot more people about who don’t really understand the countryside. Nope it’s all Strava’s fault and while we are at it time to ban the exorcist again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Where is this? Is it in the peak district???’ is closed to new replies.