Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Where is Bos suspension made ?
  • maico
    Free Member

Are the external parts French made and some of the internals German ?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Given what I hear of their reliability, surely has to be all French 😉

maico
    Free Member

Some of the seals are high quality SKF.

So what’s the story with reliability, or is it the slow availability of spares?

A number of smaller companies fit it OE

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maico
    Free Member

maico
    Free Member

Bos is likely to be using standard seal sizing so for those parts at least a factor could be used.
    There are lots of companies in the fettling mx motorcycle suspension who could probably service these forks.
    There is also a healthy uk motorsport suspension manufacturing industry.

http://www.nitron.co.uk/index.htm

maico
    Free Member

I had a look at some of the Bos promotional videos which show prototypes being machined in their French factory. There is also some assembly going on but I can’t see any manufacturing so I guess they are made in Taiwan ?
    The other possibility is they get damper cartridges custom made at Öhlin in Sweden or Bilstein or Sachs in Germany.

LoCo
    Free Member

It’s only a bit of machining, anodising and fitting parts to components so not really much that couldn’t be done in house or contracted out to local companies.

mildred

I was told by a former Bos employee that seals are outsourced & all mechanical parts are manufactured in house. They have a fairly long history and good reputation in motorsports and already had the necessary expertise and tooling to manufacture their own product. Also consider that they started off by making replacement internals and damping that slotted into the big manufacturers products. I recall the 888 cartridge/conversion was very highly regarded.

mildred

It’s potentially their in house production that causes the problems when it comes to after sales service & support. That, and a certain disregard to the world of emails and answering questions.

tang
    Free Member

Having ridden some (very nice) the lever on the axel is very poorly designed. We (I say we, my good mate who is on the team and me) were testing polygons proto carbon enduro bike and it’s such a fiddle, the little black lever in the pic just flops about. They have been sponsored by Bos this year so hope their parts are good as I can imagine those guys(mick Hannah etc) giving them some abuse.

maico
    Free Member

mildred – Member

It’s potentially their in house production that causes the problems when it comes to after sales service & support. That, and a certain disregard to the world of emails and answering questions.

Some direct contact details here:

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/bosmtb/

jamj1974

No issues with mine 13 months in and performance is out of this world.

jamj1974

Through axle lever as mentioned above is a complete non-issue for me.

NazNomad
    Free Member

Not sure where they’re made but they are damned good forks!

Developed by Nico,used by Anne Caro last year…

As for reliability,how many people post on forums ‘I’ve bought had these forks 6months & they haven’t broke yet!’?

Dave

ratherbeintobago

As for reliability,how many people post on forums ‘I’ve bought had these forks 6months & they haven’t broke yet!’?

That’s not really the point. Three different distributors in three years puts a lot of people off on the basis that, if the forks you’ve bought do break, it’s potentially going to be horrible trying to source spares.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Developed by Nico,used by Anne Caro last year…

And here lies the crux of it. Nico hasn’t slowed down since he went onto Fox, then Rock Shox, and likewise AC hasn’t all of a sudden gone any faster.

Which reflects my own experiences. They all feel diferent, but i’ve never sped up or gone slower with one fork over another.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Where is Bos suspension made ?’ is closed to new replies.