Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Where in UK to ride steep+loose+drifty (and not pulverized bones)
  • sideshow
    Free Member

That’s from the Schilthorn in Austria (see pinkbike). But where in the UK can you ride loose drifty stuff like this?

This question got me thinking about angles of repose, i.e. the slope naturally formed by piling up different materials. I would say the slag heaps around South Wales are too steep to be fun, and the angle of repose of coal slag is 35-37 degrees (though it should be piled less steep than this to avoid disaster). Natural sandy gravel has a more gentle angle of repose 25-30 degrees according to wikipedia, so gravel pits might be fun? Ground slate is 30 degrees… but are any of the slopes in the Llanberis quarries suitable, or are the lumps all too big?

Either way, avoid riding on pulverised bones cos according to this table they rest at 45 degrees which is clearly too steep for non superheroes to go play drift monkey on.
    http://www.unionironworks.com/engineering_calculator_detail.aspx?x=wZWr/QqjPORgDQ4VPL%2Bqn07XK8X1uqUw

Any suggestions on where to go ride then?

Northwind

Slate (and a lot of other machined stone) will kill your tyres. Industrial tips can be pretty unstable, there’s no real structure to them. Glacial moraine/scree slope maybe? There’s a pretty good one in the pentlands, bit too steep for me but there’s got to be gentler ones

dunmail
    Free Member

Some of the waste tips above Honister have been ridden – saw a shot in one of the comics a month or two ago, although it’s slate waste it’s not like the stuff in the south of the Lakes but more like shale. Might still be a bit steep though.

There’s also a shot of the area in munrobiker’s mega posting, the Warnscale Bottom route.

selkirkbear
    Free Member

The Shale Bings of West Lothian might be a shout.

There are loads of these around Broxburn and Bathgate just off the M8 between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

I don’t know what it will do to tyres though. They used to use this waste for all weather football pitches in central Scotland and after your first slide tackle you quickly learned to stay on your feet.

gazc
    Free Member

we used to ride slag heaps when we were kids – good fun, but quite compacted material and you ended up absolutely minging if you crashed on it

chvck
    Free Member

Scree slopes i reckon

CrispyCSW

Gunnerside Gill?

oliverracing

Schilthorn in Austria

I think you’ll find the Schilthorn is above Murren is Switzerland (Bernese Oberland) – just sayin! 🙄

Sadly they are no very pro bikes at the moment so don’t (or didn’t the last few years) let you take bikes up there and this was done with special permission.

nedrapier

There’s a sandy slope here: 51.224336,-0.577576 which is pretty fun if you’re passing. I wouldn’t claim it’s a destination, though.

Edit: what they said below, probably. There’s a footpath across the bottom too.

welshfarmer

Please don’t go riding natural scree slopes or you will very rapidly find MTBing getting a very bad name for itself.

scotroutes

+1

I can think of a few places that would fit the bill but I wouldn’t disclose them.

pigyn
    Free Member

Just out of interest what’s the beef with scree slopes? Are they a special habitat? The ones I have poked around on near Innerleithen seemed to be only home to a mix of small to medium rocks.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Possibly a touch of erosion.

deadkenny
    Free Member

oliverracing – Member
    I think you’ll find the Schilthorn is above Murren is Switzerland (Bernese Oberland) – just sayin!

And is a top Bond villain hideout 😀

thekettle
    Free Member

Quite a lot of scree slopes do seem to harbour rare plant species – I would guess it’s sometimes due to their abnormal mix of chemicals/metals if they are mine waste deposits. There’s a huge one above Coniston (Lakes) that’s a SSSI, not meant to even walk on it anymore, and the rare plants are microscopic!

jimthelad
    Free Member

There’s a huge scree slope on the north side of Snowdon Horseshoe before Crib Goch. Smaller shale rather than fist sized lumps too. Pretty steep mind.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Just out of interest what’s the beef with scree slopes? Are they a special habitat?

In short – Yes.

Spin
    Free Member

The descent from the bealach between Beinn an Dothaidh and Beinn Dorain is pretty steep and loose but I wouldn’t be tackling it at speed.

Coming down the red burn on Ben Nevis might fit the bill too although I’ve not done that.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Skiddaw has some if you go via Ullock Pike

And Warnscale

Also, so do the golf course trails at innerleithen but I don’t have any photos of that.

sideshow
    Free Member

Yes even slag heaps are considered important to biodiversity these days according to my mate who manages nature reserves with them in. Partly it’s because they are useless for farming so are left undisturbed. Not that wildlife and recreation can’t coexist if done right.

Natural scree, I don’t know anything about the wildlife aspects but the visual impact of erosion will piss off walkers and climbers no end despite the fact they (we) cause 99% of it.

Recently decommissioned quarries are probably the best bet for these shenanigans 🙂

Thanks for all the suggestions. My bad on Austria! That’s a great pic of gunnerside, must have missed that bit.

sideshow
    Free Member

…I came down the gully when I was in gunnerside this summer, nice techy rocks and quite pleased to clean it on a hardtail!

sideshow
    Free Member

A bit steep and dangerous but how about here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30504447

…should ride it on principle because the company have apparently sold it to a near bankrupt holding company in the Caribbean to avoid having to pay restoration costs :-/

bigyinn
    Free Member

Isnt the whole of Blaennau Festiniog not just a massive shale tip?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Where in UK to ride steep+loose+drifty (and not pulverized bones)’ is closed to new replies.