• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Where in the world are we all from…?
  • jamj1974

As someone who would describe themselves as mixed-race or dual heritage, I am surprised that even in 2012 there seem so few people on the trails from ‘non-white’ ethnic groups, even within my locale in the supposedly multi-cultural West Midlands….

Without wanting to cause any pointless online arguments it would be good to know a couple of things to try and understand this more:

1). Is my perception real and backed up by your anecdotal or quantifiable data?
    2). Apart from the obvious why do you think this is? I can honestly say that I have never detected a colour or culture bar in our sport.
    3). Who here would describe themselves as anything other than ‘white’?

Fair enough if no-one is comfortable answering this, but this is not a troll or for any kind of research – just my own curiosity. I have no chip on my shoulder about it either!

Thanks,

J

crikey
    Free Member

Historically cycling was a white, northern European, working class sport; demographically it has changed of late, becoming much more aspirational, but still has no strong base in cultures who are typically not white.

That’s my take on it anyway.

cranberry
    Free Member

1. Yes.

2. I would guess that in many cases the culture and the bar comes from and exists in the minds of the people who are not out there getting muddy/dusty on the trails – there are many cultures where a bike is generally considered a poor persons form of transport, and spending a fair bit of cash to travel round in a circle like a pauper and get muddy might seem a tad strange.

3. I am white* when I start a ride, often greyish, brownish, redish when I finish it.

*pinkish-beige

hora
    Free Member

If you are Chinese or Indian bicycles are seen as poormans transport.

What population of the UK is non-white? So say if only 10% of 40m whites ride. What about 10% of 10% of the population?..

All these figures are 75% accurate

julianwilson
    Free Member

1) No idea about proper data/research but I would love to see some. In the south west there just aren’t many not-white people around anyway. I suppose our local kurdish community ride bikes a bit but that is as a means to get from A to B on not a lot of money rather than being “MAMIL”s.

2) As crikey said above. Although I have been reading the first BikeSnobNYC book and in this he talks about cycling taking off in NYC as a very posh sport originally: lots of ‘society’ (white of course) involved in it at the turn of the century.

3) I tick the ‘white european’ as opposed to ‘white british’ box cos I iz rockin’ the Posh Kent/Bumpkin Pyrenéen genes, and the two nationalités/languages/cultures to go with it. But I suppose that means I should be even more into bicycles (and mushroom foraging, boar-hunting and smoking) really. There are a few Cornish separatists (hi-six, Crispy!) and a few ‘not-white’ regulars on this forum, mind.

cloudnine
    Free Member

White hobbit

hora
    Free Member

I an Connor McLoed of the Clan McLoed.

loum
    Free Member

1. I’ve got nothing to suggest you’re wrong.
    2. Don’t know, but crikey’s answer seems reasonable ^^^.
    I’d guess things are changing slowly, and a successful Olympics could make cycling more appealing to all, and we’ll see the rate of change increase. I reckon some of it comes down to role models that youngsters empathise with and look up to. Shanaze Reade winning could boost BMX’s profile, and it’s the sort of exciting sport that could really interest youngsters.
    The other side of the coin is the fact that there are already a lot of non-white sportsmen/women totally dominating other sports, like the ahthletics, and the youngsters would rather aspire to follow them.
    3. White.

Cougar

What population of the UK is non-white? So say if only 10% of 40m whites ride.

10% is about right, but the UK population is over 60m now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_Kingdom

busydog
    Free Member

EDIT–need to make my math add up a little better

Here in the New Mexico, US, there are quite a number of Hispanic MTB riders, but any other ethnic groups, except we caucasians are very few in number.

If I was to guess, I’d say the ratio is caucasian/60-65%, Hispanic/30-35% and all others the balance (which isn’t drastically different than the ethnic population makeup here in New Mexico)

As an aside, the ratio of men to women MTB riders here is probably men/85-90% and women the balance, based on who I see out on the trails every week.

I think that the cost of MTB is most certainly a factor, at least here, as New Mexico is, historically, more of a rural ranching/farming state except for the 4 largest population centers).

Cougar

I an Connor McLoed of the Clan McLoed.

I don’t believe you. You’d be able to spell your name correctly if you were.

ocrider

Whatever, busydog. We’ve all seen where the money’s at in New Mexico from watching Breaking bad 😆

100% whitey in sud de France and vastly masculine. I’m the minority, being a rosbif ‘n all that.

busydog
    Free Member

Whatever, busydog. We’ve all seen where the money’s at in New Mexico from watching Breaking bad

Yeah, really helps the reputation of Albuquerque 😀

khani
    Free Member

Someone from here once told me I was brahn…but I think he was mayd!…
    I’m from a place far far away, where Muffins have chips in, aren’t a verb.. and you can get curry sauce on as well…
    I live in Essex now and see quite a few Darkies out and about…more road than mtb it seems..

dokta
    Free Member

I’m mixed of oriental flavour, and I happen to see more and more asian types. Even spotted Rasta Jamaican on classic Spesh Enduro. But then that’s riding around London areas. Surprisingly moorish riders are more chatty than the whites IME.

enfht
    Free Member

A high proportion of Rastas seem to ride bikes.

After 3 trips (or maybe 4?) to Jamaica I consider myself part-Rasta.

Irie Ites. 8)

hora
    Free Member

No a cheaply produced 80’s film got my name wrong on the story about my life.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Where in the world are we all from…?’ is closed to new replies.