Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Where in the Lakes will be dry this weekend?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Might be daft question at this time of year, but the weather forecast is looking ok for Cumbria. Can anyone suggest an area or route which is likely to be dry? Have done the Borrowdale Bash before and keen for something with a little less road if possible. I guess Nan Bield looks fairly all-weather?

Cheers!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Have done the Borrowdale Bash before and keen for something with a little less road if possible

There’s bb versions with very little road riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bottom of Nan Bield can be a bit soggy after rain, and I think it’s been raining up there.

Maybe Helvellyn if you don’t mind a big climb?

richardkennerley

Went up Helvellyn yesterday and it’s all lovely dry rocky goodness

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Apart from the odd area here and there, the lakes in its entirety is a great place if it’s wet, as there are huge amounts of rocky trails that don’t get muddy. I wouldn’t let rain dictate my lakes route choice, more concerned about high winds etc, which would keep me lower down.

As Banana up there says, there are bash options that are far better than the published route. I don’t think I’ll ever bother with castle crags again for a start!.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

There’s loads of water about running off the fells, just get wet, it’ll be reet.

Sandwich

Wilfs in Staveley stays dry and has some cracking bacon based food and there’s beer

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As the saying goes there is no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothing.
    Grizedale bw’s are always fun

chakaping
    Free Member

Grizedale will be rammed with enduro-ers this weekend.

agent007
    Free Member

Skiddaw Loop? Never done it, how’s it hold up in the wet? A bogfest or all rideable?

whitestone
    Free Member

Skiddaw loop – the first bit down from Skiddaw house following the Caldew will be boggy in places, improves the further down you go.

Mowgli
    Free Member

All sounds good, thanks chaps.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If you’re doing a Skiddaw loop, it’d be rude not to go to the top first, then ride down the scree slope and do Ullock Pike ridge, before going clockwise Whitewater Dash to Skiddaw House to Lonscale Fell

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tour o skiddaw is one I’d not bother with if its wet tbh. It’s a decent big loop, but with so much better close by, I dunno if I’d do it again actually.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I think Helvellyn tomorrow and a shorter Ullswater loop on Sunday is the plan at the moment 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ullswater ye say?.

Park at Glenridding (it’s free at the moment) then pedal along the road to hartsop. Up to hayeswater reservoir, then push up the grassy path – only about a 20 minute push this bit – then follow the well made path on your left ie back toward Ullswater. From here, just follow the path through Satura crags to boredale hause, then the awesome descent back down to the south end of Ullswater. A cracking wee loop, that will only take a couple of hours but has some ace riding.
    Then a wee out and back on the Ullswater bridleway. Honestly, you’ll thank me for it.

Ps – take the higher of the 2 paths down from boredale hause.

scruff
    Free Member

chakaping
    Free Member

Ps – take the higher of the 2 paths down from boredale hause.

Do both!

Have you ridden there recently nobeer? Heard those tracks were blocked at the bottom?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well i can confirm it is now pissing down in the lakes

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Chaka, myself and a mate did it in late February, the last 100 metres or so, just as you come into the woods, looks like it had suffered from a land slip, but a path has been cut through it already. Makes no difference really, as its right at the end.

postierich
    Free Member

I,m hosting a ride tomorrow from Glennridding up Dollywagon via some cheeky Sticks Pass Seldom Seen then a bit of Ullswater shoreline. 9.45am meet up.
    Feel free to join will be at a sociable pace

Rich

postierich
    Free Member

Dry as a bone sunny but a biting wind!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/547199116
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/FpiAVR]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FUt5gs]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Where in the Lakes will be dry this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.