Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Where in Scotland should I have my honeymoon?
  • bullheart
    Free Member

STW Massiv,

Due to my chemotherapy/radiotherapy, we are now unable to go to the US for our honeymoon because of extortionate insurance costs. With this in mind, we've decided to go to Scotland. Can any of you recommend somewhere lovely to stay? We fancy desolate and beautiful views, but within an hour of a good ride… Maybe the east coast?

Merci,

Mark

epicsteve
    Free Member

Are you looking to stay in a hotel or self-catering?

If you want emptiness & views then Wester Ross, Sutherland or perhaps even one of the islands could be an option.

clydebuilt
    Free Member

or west coast (near dalbeattie)

http://www.gonetothebeach.co.uk/section187494.html

clydebuilt
    Free Member
    jimmy

Second Dalbeattie area. We've stayed in Kipford before – if the weather's right its stunning round there and not far from decent riding if you're allowed.

iDave
    Free Member

summerisles hotel north of ullapool

or harris

Hazel
    Free Member

What about here;
    http://www.millnesscroft.co.uk

Near Glen Affric for desolate, and not too far from Golspie or Laggan for riding.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

North west for the scenic beauty. Ullapool, lochinver or the islands.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

http://www.greatnorthlodges.co.uk/

check out the above link, they have some great accomidation in some fantastic locations

we stayed in the Beaver lodge and it was ace

bullheart
    Free Member

Have those of you posting links stayed at these places? Are they nice?

crazy-legs

Desolate and beautiful = NW coast. The gale breeze tends to keep the midges at bay and the beaches are stunning!

Edit: TJ beat me to it by 30 seconds!

Hazel
    Free Member

I'm from nearby and have heard lots of good things about millness cottages, apparently they get lots of repeat bookings, but haven't seen inside.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I'm just back from a wee spell in Mallaig. Accomodation around about is plentiful and there is both walking and biking to be had. We walked, but a bike trip from Morar alongside Loch Morar and over to Tarbet then Ferry back to Mallaig would be do-able. If you really want remote, then Knoydart, inaccessable by road so the most remote place in Britain, should do the trick.

Clicky for pics of Knoydart
    The pub doesn't do accomodation but it's website can advise you

You're also a short trip away from the glorious island of Rum. again remote, but with biking and white tailed sea eagles.

HeatherBash
    Free Member
    BikePawl
    Free Member

For some luxury on the West Coast I can thoroughly recommend The Crinan Hotel

Riding near by ish

Fire Tower Trail

robgarrioch

Some brilliant pics of the country that may tickle your fancy, from a wee while back – Beautiful Caledonia.

Being a teuchter myself I'm biased to the North West & Skye, particularly Gairloch & surrounds.. What time of year are you going? Used to guage May as the best month, with spring in full flow & good weather possible…

gavinski
    Free Member

I reckon in Scotland you'd be very hard pushed to get further than 1 hour from a half decent trail.

when's the day? west coast much much more midge infested in summer than the east

We spent new year in Achiltibuie last year – just lovely, a long way to drive (4-5 hours from Glasgow/Edinburgh) but if you were going to the states then it maybe doesn't sound that far. That area is simply stunning and it's pretty remote too – no trail centres though if that's what you need!!

For a honeymoon though maybe Skye is your best bet? it's perhaps not quite as remote as some other areas but there are lots of good hotels etc for a proper treat meal – even at the peak of summer you can find remoteness on skye – specially up by staffin way. If you were happy with mixed off road/road riding i'd say it was perfect

East coast you could do a lot worse than findhorn, (not the hippy commune but the village!) it's a bit London Ya's on sea, but it's pretty and romantic for a honeymoon. Lots of trails both man made and natural in Moray.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My wife and I have used this self-catering place, just outside Gairloch:Tir Aluinn

It's ideal for a couple and there is plenty to do in the Gairloch/Poolewe/Torridon area including plenty of walking and mountain biking. There are several good places to eat nearby as well – the Old Inn in Gairloch is one we like, along with the Melvaig Inn which is a few miles further along the coast from North Erradale, where the self-catering place is.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Summer Isles Hotel great but very cut off from other parts.

Torridon has probably the most dramatic scenery in Scotland and tons of fantastic riding. Both these are excellent, with the Shieldaig one being much less formal and a great pub next door.
    Torridon Inn
    Torridon Hotel
    Tigh an Eilean Hotel

Self catering, we have stayed here a couple of times – right on the shore of Loch Torridon
    Balgy Lodge

epicsteve
    Free Member

Of the others mentioned above I've eaten at, but not stayed in, both the Summer Isles and Crinan Hotels. Both are lovely locations. The views across the Summer Isles from above Achiltibuie are some of the best in Scotland IMHO.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The three chimneys?

I have not been but its reputation is good even at the large prices you will pay

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've eaten at the Threee Chimneys as well. Fantastic food and location and, if you can afford it, it also looked a great place to stay. Pretty expensive though. We stayed in the campsite in Dunvegan instead!

STL

Might not want to totally throw out the US. My mum had just finished with chemo and managed to get reasonable insurance to come to my graduation here in the US. Think it might have been with M&S, let me see if I can find out for you.

STL.

anjs
    Free Member

http://www.loch-lomond.co.uk/

is a good place to stay one night if you want to break the drive up to the highland

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Forgot this one. Friends have stayed there and reckon its brilliant. Just won some awards as well. Kingussie is about 20 mins from Laggan, 15 from Aviemore and 45 mins from Ft William. Not remote though
    The Cross

STL

Ignore me. I think my paretnts had an annual deal that covered her as she was already insured before the dignosis.

I'd vote for Mull and Iona. Would be very relaxing on Iona.

Can't really go wrong with Scotland no matter where you pick!

Good luck getting it all organized.

STL.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

id second knoydart..its fun just getting there and is a true beautiful wilderness…in all my travels round scotland harris(island) is the best place ive been.lots of nice digs also there…

if you want something really nice and sleeps 2 but near amenities then have a look at this..http://www.cottageguide.co.uk/lindsaylodge/
    you can pop and see me also! 😆

ononeorange

This place near Oban – perfect. Stayed loads of times and liked it so much we got married there (well just up the road but took it over anyway).

http://www.dunnamara.com/

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you fancy Iona as suggested above I would really recommend it – and I have a friend with a house on Iona that I might be able to get for you

kennyp
    Free Member

Wester Ross. Most spectacular place in the country and loads of nice hotels doing great beef, venison, salmon etc. Tons of good riding too in Torridon.

bullheart
    Free Member

Some ace suggestions. We're kind of looking for a self-contained lodge/farmhouse/cottage, but within close proximity of a couple of pubs for food. If the west coast is as midge-ridden as people are suggesting then perhaps the east coast is a better option. Storage for the bikes would be good too, although we can leave 'em in the van if its unavailable. Bit of walking, bit of culture, and most of the riding suitable for ss/my other half.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I wouldn't let the midges put you off the west coast completely. Not too much of a pain actually on the coast.

steviegil
    Free Member

Like a few other's im Uber biased being a west coaster and the scenery is second to none 8) but it really depends on how far you want to drive. Lots of great scenery, pub's and riding in the argyll area plus its not too far north for you to trek, somewhere in the Oban area would also give you full access to island hopping 🙂

Some absolute belters on this site http://www.lhhscotland.com/

waynekerr
    Free Member

Most recommendations have been W coast, OP asked for E coast, so I would recommend Findhorn/Lossiemouth area, Lots of trails within a short drive.

gixer.john
    Free Member

http://www.seanndruimcottage.com

I have been here 3 times in the last 3 years, and will be going again.
    It's my annual unwind, getting away from work hassles, gridlock on the M6,road rage etc.
    Me and my mate head up there and chill out with hill walking, bit of cycling, coal fire, couple of bottles of malt, good home made food and masses of fresh air.
    Cottage is a couple of minutes from the sea, surrounded by cliffs to the NE and a natural harbour / inlet straight down the wee road – caught some fresh fish for our tea a couple of times. Nice road ride via Hungladder ( watch out for the big cows in the road, stop off at Flora McDonalds grave)down toward Uig, then over the climb towards the Quiraing car park. Blast down the hill then go into St Columba in Dtaffin for refreshments. Nice coastal and forsetry walk from Orbost out to the headland with sea pillars at the end where we sat watching a pair of sea eagles while munching sandwiches, chocolate and mugs of tea, then up to Dunvegan Castle for the touristy bit por some cake from the wee bakery.
    Elgol to camasunary is a stunning walk along a reasonable high level coastal path.
    Sligachan to just above Loch Coruisk is a reasonably flat walk, with a bit of a rise towards the Coruisk end – right through the Cullins with more stunning views.

Cottage has a wee kitchen diner with all you need for self catering. Lounge with coal / wood fire, little sun room, bathroom and a double bedroom and room with two single beds.
    Utility room with washing machine and oil filled boiler which dries all wet clothing, boots etc overnight.
    An outside garage/ store where bikes can be kept – up this part of the world doors are left unlocked. the cottage is beside a small holding on the end of a wee road, so no passing traffic or noise.

If you want any more info let me know. I have loads of photo', but don't know how to post.

TheDBF
    Free Member

NW without question !!! As others have said, Ullapool, Lochinver etc

The East is dull and I live on the East of Scotland

Most recommendations have been W coast, OP asked for E coast,

He also asked for beautiful views and desolate, the NW has much more and better of both requests…

gusamc
    Free Member

lots of good tips
    MW, W Coast, Harris, Tiree, Skye, Torridon etc
    also consider Glentrool (bottow sw corner)

scuttler

http://www.ruareidh.co.uk/ lighthouse north of Gairloch is ace. It is a hostel with private doubles (en suite) though so probably not honeymoon material unless you're on a budget. However it's worth including in a thread that is rapidly becoming 'ace places to stay in NW Scotland'.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Where in Scotland should I have my honeymoon?’ is closed to new replies.