Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • where has the pitch gone and other all mountain traily bikes?
  • stewart4444
    Free Member

have specialized decided that the 29 camber is better than the 140mm pitch?
    Also the giant reign only has two versions in the range compared to 4 a few years ago.

Is everyone getting orange 5’s or are the manufactures steering everyone into the 29’s

james
    Free Member

IIRC I read somewhere (might have been on this forum so .. ) that the pitch didnt sell very well in most places/at least the US (UK an exception)

When the pitch was released the stumpjumper FSR was 120/120mm (having mostly been 140/120mm in 2007). The Stumpjumper went 140/140mm in 2010? (still QR forks). They’ve since released the 150mm QR15 forked Stumpjumper FSR Evo, Id guess the latest 150/150mm pitch was overlapping (apart from price)? The SJer FSR Evo starts at well above £2k?
    Having said that the original 140/150mm pitch, apart from about £300-500 cheaper, must have overlapped the 150/150mm Enduro SL?

I don’t really get spesh’s gap between QR15forked 150/140mm SJer Evo and then the 170/160mm coil front/rear Enduro Evo. I’d have thought the 160/160mm air f/r enduro cant have sold that badly?

re the giant reign, from when the 120/127mm Trance X (now 125/127mm?) came in, the giant reign went more hydroformed (shock stopped going through downtube) and I think got steeper angled (69deg HA w.140mm fork). Ive seen one or two (might have only been mbr) saying why buy a reign over a trance x?
    Since then (though hardly well publicised the reign has got a whole load slacker angled (now 67deg HA w. 150mm fork?) bringing it more into line with more DHish orientated trail bikes (eg orange 5, spesh pitch etc).
    Tis a shame they dropped the frameset as even the ‘more hydroformed’ 69degHA one was £800 (trance x was £1000, might be more now?)

Northwind

Aye, the Pitch didn’t really become popular til it was deeply discounted, and then when the price came up, everyone said “It used to be £900, now it’s £1200 and the spec has gone down”- ignoring thta it was still a good buy in its own right. (also, it’s been afflicted with horrible colours)

I suppose it competes with the Stumpy Evo and the Enduro, which doesn’t make all that much sense.

Kuco
    stewart4444
    Free Member

arr, thanks for that. i didnt realize the stumpjumper was now 140. i remember it being 125.
    wondered why specialized jumped from the 120 camber to the 160 enduro.
    obvious now, why would they have a 120 camber and a 125 SJ’er derrr

PJM1974
    Free Member

Marketing innit…trail bikes had a bit of a revival in 2007 with the Pitch, Wolf Ridge and others but now they’re pushing 140mm lightweight do it all bikes. Besides the Pitch is pushing five years old and is practically an anachronism in Spesh marketing terms.

I’ve never ridden one, but even now I’m tempted to buy one outright at £399…They’re all the better for being silver instead of either poo brown, garish red/blue or whatever derivative colour Spesh was painting them last year.

Northwind

No way, poo brown was the best!

xiphon
    Free Member

My pitch cracked far too much – all mountain my arse!

xcentric
    Free Member

pjm1974:

I’ve never ridden one, but even now I’m tempted to buy one outright at £399…

from where? I might, too, at that…..

sherry
    Free Member

Bike scene have pitch frames including shock at that price. I just got an enduro frame at a real good price from there.

james
    Free Member

” why would they have a 120 camber and a 125 SJ’er derrr “

Although the camber didnt pop up until (after?) the SJer went from 120 to 140mm, I thought it replaced the 120mm FSR XC. Similar to the FSR XC the camber also comes with generally lesser spec builds/cheaper than the SJer FSR?
    (For 2009 at least the FSR XC and SJer were both 120/120mm)

When was the SJer FSR 125mm?

stewart4444
    Free Member

2005/2006 ish

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I always assumed the camber* was to the stumpjumper what the pitch was to the enduro? The Pro/Comp builds of both were fairly similar components. But looks like the camber is now the 120mm bike going right through the range, and the stumpjumpers now the 140mm bike.

*Previously the FSR-XC

ahwiles
    Free Member

where has the pitch gone?

vitus escarpe:

remind you of anything?

my guess is that Specialized can’t compete on value (all those magasine reviews adverts don’t come cheap), so they’ve abandoned the ‘less than 2grand’ market to the likes of Vitus, Canyon, Rose, etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘where has the pitch gone and other all mountain traily bikes?’ is closed to new replies.