Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Where good to eat around Aviemore
  • falkirk-mark

Son is going up to Lossiemouth tomorrow and will be looking for somewhere decent to eat just off A9 any recommendations welcomed .
    Cheers Mark

bignoise
    Free Member

Cairngorm Hotel on Aviemore Main St

RustyMac

Mountain cafee in Aviemore is good.

footflaps

Can 2nd both recommendations!

falkirk-mark

Cheer guys I will pass it on to him

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The old Bridge Inn was lovely last time I was up that way.

maccruiskeen

The Mountain Cafe is difficult to spot if you’re not familiar with it – next door to the new Blacks outdoor shop – but upstairs – above another outdoor gear shop. Its pretty popular any you’ll often have to be prepared to queue on the stairs before you can get a table but its well worth the wait.

For lighter tea and cake type refreshments the Potting Shed cafe at Inshriach Nursery is really nice, a little way out of Aviemore is a nice stop off and a good break from the monotony of the A9

geoffj

La Taverna is good as is Cafaidh Active
    The mountain cafe is ok, but not worth queuing on the stairs for.
    A left field option is Pizzariach next to bothy bikes in Dalfaber.

renton
    Free Member

If he is heading up the a9 to Lossie he could stop at the mosset tavern I’m Forres. Some of the nicest food I’ve had whilst we lived up there. Is he off to the RAF camp ?

bri-72

Not 100% but think potting shed may be closed over winter

falkirk-mark

Aye Renton he is joining 6th squadron

seosamh77
    Free Member

old bridge inn is magic.

holmesy
    Free Member

Old bridge inn a good option – also the ‘druie’ cafe at Inverdruie does nice lunches

maddyutah

The food in cairngorm hotel is gash
    Old bridge inn and mountain cafe are good

bruneep

Chap on scotroutes door

renton
    Free Member

Ah fair play to him. Bit of Typhoon action. Ive just left Lossie and was on 1 Sqn but had a few mates on 6.

What trade is he ?

sniff
    Free Member

Route 7 cafe in Dalfaber industrial estate for a cycle themed venue

falkirk-mark

Aircraft Maintenance Mechanic, but onto AV tech after a year posting

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Glen Hotel in Newtonmore is pretty good and usually has nice ale as a bonus.

iainc

Spend a fair amount of holiday time there. Kids love Taverna, pretty good food and value. We all like The Cairngorm. Mountain Cafe good but often long queue up the stairs. OBI was OK, haven’t been in since refurbished.

NZCol

OBI was good when I had dinner last week but bloody hell it was freezing cold inside, properly freezing and spoiled a nice dinner frankly.
    Mountain Cafe
    Druie
    Cairngorm OK, better for beering

falkirk-mark

He won’t be beering as he is driving so food only. Thanks there is lots of good info.

sweepy
    Free Member

I think the active cafe is closing, shame as it’s good.

The food in the mountain cafe is worth the queue generally but coffee takes an age there. Breakfast is very good food and value but they insist on serving it vertically.

BigJohn

We enjoyed the Happy Haggis Chippy in Aviemore. But that was 1969.

scotroutes

What time of day?

Some of the options listed are only open days or evenings.

Can’t go wrong at the Cairngorm Hotel but service can be slow.

Mountain Cafe has a well deserved reputation but is busy and you can be queuing for ages. Not open evenings.

Druie is good for lunch but small and not open evenings. Limited menu.

Active Cafaidh is closed. So is Inshriach Cakeshop.

La Taverna has pizza and pasta aplenty.

Roos Leap is cheap, tasty and large portions.

Skiing Doo has a wide ranging menu.

Winking Owl has stepped up several gears since being bought by Cairngorm Brewery.

Ben Macdui has a small menu of basic but good food.

Route 7 Cafe is great for breakfast and lunch but can be hard to find.

Old Bridge Inn probably has the best food in the village but is expensive.

deejayen
    Free Member

Nothing to do with food, but if the weather is bad it’s probably easier to carry on up the A9 to Inverness and then take the A96 to Forres rather than go cross country.

bruneep

Not sure weather will be an issue It’s probably around +12c in Aviemore today

falkirk-mark

Cheers guys I have sent him a link to this thread I think he is leaving Falkirk about 11:00 but I am at work so I won’t see him before he goes.

nbt

A little further on, we’ve always enjoyed the food at the Dalrachney Lodge in Carrbridge – however last time we were in Aviemore to eat there was 2012 and it was up for sale at that point 🙁

kcal

If weather is *really* bad yes A9 then A96 but in all years of travelling that route – Central Belt to Elgin – have only done that once (and re-routed through Aberdeen once). In quickness / mileage / residence to weather order, it’d be – off at Aviemore then –
    – through Carrbridge and over Dava to Ferness – B road, can be dodgy in snow
    – through Grantown and over the ‘main’ Dava road (A941)
    – A95 through Aberlour

scotroutes

It’s 14C at the moment. I don’t think the Dava Moor Road will be a problem.

I forgot to mention the truck stop at Newtonmore. It does require a bit of a diversion off the A9 but I can heartily recommended it.

jolmes
    Free Member

I’d say drive over to Andersons, just off the A95 down Deshar Road. Incredible food for really good prices, might have to book though as its small.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mountain cafes shut for renovations innit

Last time I was in maybe 2 -3 weeks ago I was seriously disappointed with the service. No wonder there is a queue. Was over an hour between sitting and food arriving. I get its fresh and the food was lovely but I wasn’t looking for a whole day event 🙂 they only had 2 waitress’ on on a Saturday afternoon and were packed. I guess maybe they were short staffed and “coping” how ever their Facebook suggests they don’t open when understaffed

scotroutes

trail_rat – Member
    Mountain cafes shut for renovations innit

Re-opening delayed until Saturday now.

There are definitely times they could do with more staff but I think kitchen space is also restricted so they do seem to control demand by queuing.

geoffj

And avoid Cobbs Cafe in town, although the one up at Glenmore is actually pretty good – if a little expensive.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

+1 the truck stop. It’s only a couple of mins from the A9, cheap, big portions, often have venison casserole etc.

fannybaws
    Free Member

la taverna is shut till the 16th dec for family holidays.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve always been content after stopping at the Italian buffet place. Also, the wee place down the stairs near mountain warehouse does spiffingtastic burgers

stevie750

la taverna is shut till the 16th dec for family holidays.

I was up at the weekend and it was shut, Roo’s landing wasn’t open either (or it closes really early).

I ate up in the lochan(?) bar at glenmore lodge and it was very nice, doesn’t do food till 5/5-30 though

scotroutes

Lots of places shut for a week or three around the end of November. It’s the only quiet spell in Aviemore really.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Where good to eat around Aviemore’ is closed to new replies.