Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Where For Winter Road Riding?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m looking at going away somewhere for a week at the end of January or early February for a week.
    Needs to be somewhere reasonably warm with some decent riding, probably with the road bike but a couple of MTB rides wouldn’t be a bad thing!
    Needs to e somewhere where my other half can laze about in the sun while I’m out riding. We’ve been to Gran Canaria the past couple of years which has been pretty good and ticked all the boxes but we fancy somewhere different this year.

Any suggestions?

whitestone
    Free Member

Majorca or southern Spain would be my first thoughts but lying around in the sun might be a bit hit and miss.

cp

Calpe/Calp in Spain (a little up from Bendidorm – don’t let that put you off, it’s a different world!) is very very popular with European trade teams and particularly Spanish domestic teams over winter. The riding is fantastic with lots of options for both rolling coastal roads and spectacular quiet mountains. Loads of options, different route every day etc…

Think I need to go back, had a great week there a couple of years ago.

EDIT – plenty to do in the surrounding area for non-bikers.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I did calpe in jan/feb three or four times. Good riding, if a little cool first thing in the morning (Arm and leg warmers until 10 ish sort of thing) but *usually* rather nice in the afternoon. Did have some rainy days.

Was a shock going back to ride in the Belgian rain in March……..

shortcut

I’m heading for Gran Canaria in December in hope of some winter sun as I don’t have any work to do, need to ride up some hills and need to keep on top of the tan.

I know it will be windy.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Tenerife or Fuerteventura? 😆

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I think I’ll take a look at Calp.
    Tenerife also sounds like it fits the bill quite well. Just depends which the boss prefers 😀

davidisaacs
    Free Member

Andalucia, southern Spain, https://bikingandalucia.com/road-cycling/ refers

turbo1397
    Free Member

The greek island of rhodes. usually about 20 degrees midday.. there is a chill in the air in the morning and its cool at night. Road cycling is awesome! The pic below was yesterday..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PoLiq6]IMG_20160516_195057[/url] by thebigman1191, on Flickr

dickie
    Free Member

My wife & I have been to Gran Canaria for the last two years in Jan & its been excellent, temp around mid twenties & even seen 34.
    Hired bikes from Free Motion.

ransos
    Free Member

Apparently, Tenerife has the longest road climb in Europe*. Quite fancy having a crack at that…

*yes, I know.

stevious

Can’t speak for any of the island options, but I found Calp/Calpe a bit disappointing when I went last month. There’s quite a lot of busy road by the coast before you get to the nice quiet roads.

Have been to Analucia a few times on MTB and road and it’s totally awesome. I use cycle sierra nevada for accom and guiding.

stumpy01

Tenerife.

We went for a holiday last year in June & I hired a road bike from BikePoint in Playa De La Americas. I only bothered with it for the day, but it was great….although a bit warm to be basically riding up a bloody great hill…!

You could probably tie up with Lavatrax for a couple of days MTBing…

mogrim

Majorca or southern Spain would be my first thoughts but lying around in the sun might be a bit hit and miss.

Majorca in January could be very wet and unpleasant. I’d be heading to either southern Spain or the Canaries.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Where For Winter Road Riding?’ is closed to new replies.