Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Where for …. Long sleeve merino wool base layers
  • letmetalktomark

Now that the cold weather is definitely with us I need to break out (read buy) some winter apparel.

I spend most of my time in t shirts and in winter add a LS merino base layer.

I need to replace a well worn Howies one that has always been a bit … meh.

Before I jump and buy a couple of Finnisterre ones are they any other I should consider?

druidh
    Free Member

SportPursuit are currently doing an Icebreaker pop-up sale.

I’d send you a link but that seems to be frowned upon.

nbt

On-one merinos are pretty good IME

letmetalktomark

druidh – Member

SportPursuit are currently doing an Icebreaker pop-up sale.

I’d send you a link but that seems to be frowned upon.

Care to share the sort of prices?

druidh
    Free Member

£32 to £45

I’ve sent you an email

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Rock and Run do some pretty good deals on Merino. Worth signing up for their offer emails anyway.

http://www.rockrun.com/categories/Clothing/Base-Layers/

DezB
    Free Member

druidh got in the first with the SportsPursuit link, but I will add that Icebreaker are the best. And at those prices (£30-£40 OFF RRP), definitely worth it.

somafunk

Dunno if it’s applicable to your area or not but my local TKMaxx (dumfries) had quite a few Rohan superfine merino zip 200 long sleeved tops for £20 at the weekend, i bought 3 of them as their usually bout £60ish in the Rohan Store – excellent quality and 3 for the price of 1 is a bargain in my book, whether i actually need them or not is a different matter entirely.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I just bought an Icebreaker Mondo Zip 200 (relatively lightweight one) – full list was £69 from Snow and Rock – I am on Sportspurist but decided I was prepared to pay the extra to have it immediately and get exactly what I wanted. By the time you add in a bit of postage etc the difference in price can be quite small.

I am also a fan of Helly Hansen for synthetic base layer, great value.

MrSmith
    Free Member

rapha

ransos
    Free Member

I use my On one base layers a lot during winter – they’ve lasted well and are fairly cheap.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Are all merino tops as itchy as each other? I can wear a fine weave merino buff but have an on one top which can feel itchy against my baby soft skin.

druidh
    Free Member

Expensive merino tends to be a finer weave and use better quality yarn.

DezB
    Free Member

Icebreaker and Patagonia tops I’ve got are not at all itchy – they’re nice and soft. I did find the Endura Baabaa pretty itchy though. The Enduras are very popular so it must be my skin being all soft and baby-like.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Sorry for hijack.

Cloudnine, any news on your brother? My mate will go and knock on doors for you, if you need.

iainc

I just ordered a new Icebreaker one on SportPursuit the other day. I have a few already and they are great. Also got an old Howies NBL one that refuses to die and is even older than the Icebreaker ones I have.

sok

I was in Decathlon last night and they seem to be doing them for £5. I didn’t take too much of a look as although they seemed cheap I reckon my baselayers should last one more winter.
    The quality might not be up to some but for that price…

mrben100
    Free Member

nbt – Member
    On-one merinos are pretty good IME

Where I’ve bought from in the past – recently had a merino sale, might still be on.

maccruiskeen

I’ve had some very affordable short sleeve ones from decathlon that only say that they are wool rather than merino but are both nice to wear, keep their shape and are robust. Had cheap ones from aldi / lidl (the ones that are 100% merino rather than 30%) but over a few washes they get shorter and wider until you look like a dancer from Fame.

I’ve got a patagonia one that is very fine / thin. Gets all stretched out of shape after half a days wear until you find yourself constantly rolling up the saggy cuffs. Its snags and holes very easily too.

Most used and most reliable for cycling are some jumpers off the sale rail in TK Maxx and H&M for about £15, bought a size too small so they are tight, worn under a cycling jersey – breathable toast.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

I second Rapha, great quality and not too badly priced.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Where for …. Long sleeve merino wool base layers’ is closed to new replies.