Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Where does one buy Oakleys these days?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Put my Half Jackets through the wash, only on cold, but the detegent has ruined the lenses. The lenses had been glued in because the frame broke, so looks like I need some more.

Where’s good to shop?

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I got some Radarlock Path Prism’s from Cycle Surgery, they often/sometimes have up to 50% off on Oakley.

molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like photochromic lenses aren’t popular nowadays?

vinnyeh

sunglasses-shop.co.uk have an extra 20% off tie Sunday, code is HOLS20, most prices seem reduced already.

Oakley Flaks with photo chromatic lenses for 158, less another 20% .

CountZero

Dunno about photoreactive, but it might be worth seeing if you can pick up a cheap pair of frames from eBay, then getting some lenses from Revant Optics, a pair of their standard lenses, Midnight Sun (+Red analogue), will cost $28, enhanced polarised are $36, and their Elite lenses are $59 a set.
    Frankly the standard lenses are as good as anything out there, unless you really need polarised.
    https://www.revantoptics.com/replacement-lenses/oakley-half-jacket-midnight-sun-mirrorshield
    You can get a pair of Half-jackets off Amazon for £72:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oakley-Half-Jacket-2-0-Sunglasses/dp/B007EN0FL0?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ipad-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B007EN0FL0

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm. Managed to pull the ruined lenses out of the frame. Could just get some more lenses and glue them back in… Much cheaper than new specs.

More interested in the hydrophobic quality than anything else.

CountZero

Get a new pair for £72, beats fannying around glueing a perfectly good pair of lenses in, then you could get some Revant lenses in a different tint and still be paying less than the discount sunglasses shop ones.
    Just a thought…
    Well, I’ve just bought a pair of those Amazon ones, I’ve been toying with getting a pair of frames and Revant lenses, and the ones I’ve seen on eBay ended up going for almost as much as I’m paying for brand new ones, then I’ll just get some different Revant lenses later on.
    £23 for Fire Iridium analog Revant lenses from Amazon, so £95 in total…
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revant-Replacement-Lenses-Oakley-Jacket/dp/B00CS8ANBS/ref=pd_lutyp_cxhsh_1_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01M698E61&pd_rd_r=BXZGZ89776C3AM7C42T5&pd_rd_w=WBFAe&pd_rd_wg=nhaKC&refRID=BXZGZ89776C3AM7C42T5&th=1

molgrips
    Free Member

Get a new pair for £72, beats fannying around glueing a perfectly good pair of lenses in

I could get Revant lenses for £23 and be good to go… Are they hydrophobic I wonder?

beej
    MSP

There are a few things that I wouldn’t buy from Amazon, especially if coming from third party sellers, oakleys and headphones being among them. There are a lot of fakes being distributed that way.

If the seller is a genuine oakley supplier, then they will often be cheaper on their own website rather than going through amazon, where they have to pay amazon fees.

MoreCashThanDash

Wiggle had some on offer a couple of months ago.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Custom Shop build when I’m in the US.
    8)

shakers97
    Free Member

Do what I did double your usual £27 of Tesco club card vouchers for £55 worth of Evans vouchers using club card boost buy some in the sale for £75 then sell your old ones on eBay for £80 and use the money to buy a new fox helmet in the sale from Chain Reaction

CountZero

Are they hydrophobic I wonder?

Honestly, I don’t know, but the lenses I have from Revant don’t appear to be functionally different to any of the Oakley lenses I have, the anti-scratch coating seems to disperse moisture, which makes it more-or-less hydrophobic.
    Personally, I think the ‘hydrophobic’ thing is just marketing bollocks, just like ‘Unobtanium’ is.
    They’re much cheaper, do exactly the same job, I see no problem.

My two pairs of original ’90s Frogskins, the only way you can tell which are the Revant lenses is by the colour; when Frogskins were first made, the only Iridium coatings were Fire and Violet, there was never a +Red.

CountZero

My Half-Jackets have just arrived!
    They look absolutely genuine, box, paperwork, spare nose-pieces, all markings on frame present; black with black iridium lenses, chuffed to bits with them.
    Going to get some Revant lenses for dim light when I’m driving, like Persimmon or similar, and maybe a pair of Fire or Midnight Sun – at the price they are I can be a bit more adventurous with lens colours.
    😀

Oakley Outlet, or whatever it’s called at Cheshire Oaks – won’t have all styles and probs last years, but good discounts last time I bought some

*edit – Oakley Vault

CountZero

Fess up time, the link to the Revant lenses is wrong, that takes you to standard Half Jackets, the ones I’ve just bought are Half Jacket 2.0’s, the Revant lenses for those doesn’t have as wide a range of the cheap standard lenses, but the top-end Elite lenses has a few photochromic lenses, including one that looks perfect for driving, it’s orange/neutral grey, which will be perfect for changeable light, the middle price lenses are polarised.
    Been wearing my ‘Jackets today, and I’m really pleased with them, hardly know I’m wearing them.
    😀
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revant-Replacement-Polarized-Midnight-MirrorShield/dp/B071WY2646/ref=sr_1_1?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1498329337&sr=1-1&nodeID=83450031&psd=1&keywords=Revant%2Boakley%2Bhalf%2Bjacket%2B2.0%2Blens&th=1

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Just checking Countzero the ones you’ve just received are from the Amazon link further up the thread?
    It’s nice to know something is genuine before I hit buy, there’s so many poor fakes kicking around.

CountZero

Yup, direct from that actual link, it appears to be a direct Amazon link, not a third-party, the speed of turnaround was bloody amazing, it was fairly late when I pressed the button, and it was something like 9-10 the next morning when they turned up!
    I can’t see anything that indicates they might be a knock-off, all the registration paperwork, the spare nose pads are present, and everything on the frames is crisp and detailed, the fine print showing model number is crisp and sharp,
    I’ve just ordered the Revant photoreactive orange/grey lenses for them, weather’s changeable enough at the moment I think I’ll get a lot of use out of them!

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Thanks, think I’ll press the button

yorkshire89
    Free Member

bluenty.com

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered the Revant photoreactive orange/grey lenses for them, weather’s changeable enough at the moment I think I’ll get a lot of use out of them!

Let us know if there’s any obvious difference in water repellency? For what that’s worth.

franksinatra

Interested in this as need to do some sunnies shopping soon

prawny

Oakley stopped doing the hard hydrophobic coating a few years ago so even the new ones aren’t as good as they were. I had some goofy looking radars that had the hard coating on the standard lenses but when I got some clear ones for the winter they came with a hydrophobic pen and weren’t nearly as good. Means they can sell the pens for £15 a go though…

CountZero

Let us know if there’s any obvious difference in water repellency? For what that’s worth.

If I can, I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that the Revant lenses are hydrophobic, but it may be more noticeable on the mirrored versions; the non-mirrored are coated, I think, which would probably give a water beading quality.
    It’s not something that I’ve ever really considered, I always wear a hat when it’s raining, I don’t ride these days, and I try to avoid getting my glasses wet anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm. Hydrophobism didn’t work as advertised much but it did make it a bit easier to clean them.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Where does one buy Oakleys these days?’ is closed to new replies.