• This topic has 92 replies, 84 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by 10.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Where do you live and how did you get there?
  • yossarian
    Free Member

and will you be moving on again?

Me? I live on the East Kent coast. I ended up here after living in High Wycombe, then Oxford, then Hong Kong, then Oxford again, then London.

I moved down to East Kent on a whim. I'd been reading the darling buds of may by HE Bates, had gotten bored with London after living in Leytonstone (in the squatted street on the M11 link road scheme) and fancied a bit of Catherine Zeta-Jones style action down in the bluebell woods of kent, a bit of a dreamer I guess 🙂 . I haven't managed to leave again yet (17 years and counting) despite both me and the missus wanting a change of scenery.

Where's next for me? Not sure at present, both my kids are pre school age so we aren't really tied down. Just back from a visit to Plymouth where a big branch of my wife's family are from (we are talking a BIIIG family, they have their own songs FFS) and I think Devon is a likely candidate.

what about you? Have you moved away from home never to return or have you returned to your roots?

molgrips
    Free Member

I was born in Lincolnshire, grew up in Herefordshire, went to uni in Cardiff, moved to Manchester, back to Cardiff, then to Finland and back to Cardiff. Don't really feel like I have roots, particularly.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Saltwood, near Hythe in Kent. I've lived in Canada, California and Australia, but I keep coming back and now I've got sprogs I'm staying here. Beaches for windsurfing, some pretty good trails for biking and a pub on the village Green (and an awesome school for the kids) – what's not to like?

RealMan
    Free Member

I was born in Portsmouth. I've lived all my life in Fareham, ~5 miles west of Portsmouth. I'll be off to uni in October (hopefully), in Exeter. Can't wait.

donsimon
    Free Member

Madrid, airplane? 😆

trailmonkey

Born in Birmingham, live in Devon.

Anyone asking why has obviously never been to Birmingham

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Born – Surrey lived in New Haw then Cobham then West Horsley
    Moved in 1989 (aged 14) to Cornwall – Trebetherick then a small village nr St Endellion
    Uni – three years at Swansea
    First job – four months in Kingston then offered a great job in Bristol
    Dotted around Bristol, got married travelled for six months, back to Bristol then did a year in the Docklands, back to Bristol again (Abbots Leigh) then finally back "home" to Cornwall – but Truro area. Been here over four years.

Creg

Born in South Africa, now live in North East UK. Moved here when I was 5 after my parents divorced.

Lived in a few places around the UK but only short term. Done seasonal work in the ski resorts as well but again only short term.

Where next? No idea

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Born in Kingswinford West Mids, moved to Wombourne, Got job for Large Construction company worked in Northampton, Helensburgh, Folkestone then Warrington, Met Mrs in Sheffield moved over to there, settled down had kids etc now living in Barnsley then…..

Visit my Mom once a year in Wombourne but lost my roots along the way

bigrich

middle park, melbourne, the tram

jonb
    Free Member

Born in Bolton, moved to Durham to study. Moved to Somerset for work for a few years before coming back oop north to Newcastle where I've been for 2 years.

No plans to move anytime soon, just bought my (our) first house. No fear of moving though, most likely it for work reasons. Would love to work overseas. Both mine and my GF companies are large multinationals and people move all the time. Unfortunately the companies operate in different countries and cities. Both of us moving together would be a challenge.

I'd love to go and live in the far east for a few year.

jam-bo

devon, A38.

gusamc
    Free Member

Fair Isle, Dunnet Head, Isle of Arran, Stranraer, Girvan (dad = lighthousekeeper), Glasgow (Uni), North London (job), Christchurch, Addlestone, Maidenhead, Reading, Faringdon part time, ??retirement TBD

brakes
    Free Member

Barnsley > Middlesbrough > Durham > London > Umbria > Doncaster > Durham > London
    an eclectic mix driven by work and play

singlespeedstu

yamyamblade.
    I think I used to be mates with your brother.
    Did he ride MX for a while?

terrahawk
    Free Member

S Manchester, N Manchester, Calderdale, back to N Manchester.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Dumfries, Edinburgh, Frome, Buckingham, Nottingham, Ipswich, Hampton Wick, Ealing, Hampton, Varanassi, Buckingham, Holyhead, Dumfries, Leeds, Gibraltar, Totnes, Belo Horizonte……….next move is two months back in Dumfries to finish my MSc, then to where the work is, hopefully still in Belo Horizonte as opposed to Sao Paulo.

I would happily live down in Devon again having been there for 6 months.

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

Born Northampton-raised in Milton Keynes.

Lived there for 30 something years-worked in bike trade.Mate working for same company got offered a job in Wales.6 months later he offered me a job.

Wasn't a driver at the time-bought a CG125 and "ride west young man"
    Currently NW of Swansea with views of the Gower or the Brecon Beacons on a good day.
    Plan was to cycle lots but bigger bikes made that stumble and fail.
    Pedal a bit still but not as much as I should.

Would like to be a bit further west-will see what happens….

obirobkeno
    Free Member

Born on the Wirral, left for Sheffield Uni, back to the Wirral, lived with a couple of different girlfriends, moved to Aylesford in Kent, lived in a few different places in that area for 2 years, back to the Wirral for 4 years, moved to West London last Novemeber… And planning on Canada in the next couple of years…

marsdenman
    Free Member

Oldham born 'n' bred
    Out to Saddleworth ('posh' bit of Oldham…)
    Thence to Mossley (less posh bit of Oldham / Ashton)
    Finally to Marsden 'by accident of divorce' – only place I could afford to get a place- It's worked out the best thing to have happened to me – love the place 😀

LHS
    Free Member

Stafford, London, Toulouse, Zurich, Frankfurt, London, Frankfurt, San Francisco, Boston, Denver/London.

loddrik
    Free Member

From Liverpool and live in erm… Liverpool.

Had an unpleasant stint living in Guildford for 18 months recently and realise how great it is up here 🙂

No desire go move anywhere else now.

Spent the best part of 6 years in Ibiza, spent 10 months in Stafford over a decade ago and spent lots of summers in Toronto.

Family also has had a cottage in Carbis Bay for over 40 years so lived in St Ives for a few years when I was a kid and still go down there a lot.

donks
    Free Member

Born in the far reaches of east anglia, then moved to Milton Keynes, and damn it I've been there ever since….about 35 years which is way too long believe me.

would love to break away to the coast or peaks area (good biking and great climbing) but wife and kids are well settled, so it's concrete cows and roundabouts for a while longer.

vinnyeh

Auckland, Queenstown, Christchurch, Tekapo, Mt Ruapehu, Surfers Paradise, Brisbane, Queenstown, Annalong, London, Nottingham, back to London.

Came to this country 17 years ago chasing a woman I'd known for three months, never left despite it not working out with her.

greyman
    Free Member

Toon

NE(born)>London(till 16)>NE>London(uni)>NE

travelled extensively, but all leisure, not work ….

lunge

Born in Stourbridge, lived in Halesowen (s. West of Brum), uni in Northampton, back to Halesowen, Queenstown, NZ for a while, back to Halesowen again and finally to Stourbridge where I am now.

Clearly I lack some imagination…

epicsteve
    Free Member

From a village (Bonnybridge) in Central Scotland. Moved to Linlithgow first then spent some time working overseas (Germany twice, Belgium twice, Holland, Switzerland and Hong Kong twice). Decided to return to Scotland due to the need for stable schooling for the kids about 10 years ago and pretty much been in Balerno (on the edge of both the Pentland Hills and Edinburgh ever since). Still find Edinburgh one of my favourite cities (along with Munich and Hong Kong) and particularily like the balance of living where I do. Good trails right out of the door but also with a good bus route (and a mostly off-road cycle route) into the centre.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

born warrington
    grew up in holmfirth
    uni wakefield
    Worked seasons for a few years so flitted between holfirth, brighton, france, Italy, austria and greece from 2000 – 2004

settled in brighton and been here for nearly 6 years. Can't see myself moving anytime soon, though the south west has a massive draw for me.

lovewookie

Born Malvern, Uni in Cambourne, Cornwall, then Malvern again, then Uni in London (Eltham, Then Uni moved to Chatham, so lived in and around the Medway towns, then back to Malvern, worked for a bit in Stourport, just on teh commute run, then Uni again (MSc) to Newcastle, then Uni (PhD) to Paisley, then quite swiftly to Glasgow as Paisley is a shytehole. Moved about various flats in Glasgow while doing my PhD, met a girl, moved to a cottage by the canal in Bishopbriggs, got married and here I am.

Will probably end up either somewhere sunny or next to a Loch.

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

Donks-make the break from MK if you can-I miss my family but not the cultural vacuum!

Nice surrounding area but a real breath of fresh air to be somewhere else!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sometime during September 1978 my Dad…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Born in Harrogate and lived here my whole life. Quite happy where I am and never seen the need to move (although I have been away and done some travelling).

Ti29er
    Free Member

Gatehead.
    Kirklevington (Cleveland)
    Nunnington (N Yorks)
    Pocklington (E Yorks – school)
    Aldershot / Cambereley / Minden / Hamburg (Army)
    (2yrs back packing adventure in SE Asia)
    SE / N London.
    Bushey, Herts (last 9 yrs)
    Next….. don't know but would consider a move, no problems with that as I'm self employed & single.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – yeah we both did!!???

5lab

brighton. first job i was offered after graduating (7 years ago)

ctznsmith
    Free Member

From birth:

Leicester->Grimsby->Poole->Durham(Uni)->Basingstoke->London->Poole/Bournemouth->Southampton->Australia->Chelmsford->Southampton->Leeds->Worcester->Malvern.

First 3 or so driven by my dad's job, rest driven by 'seemed a good idea at the time' life choices! 😉

Where shall I go next?

br
    Free Member

Goole – Harlow – Goole – Hull – Leeds – Buckinghamshire – Dusseldorf – Buckinghamshire (now 10 years)

But in that time worked all over the world, like travelling, but like been home more.

singlespeedstu

yamyamblade – Member

singlespeedstu – yeah we both did!!???

Couldn't remember if you did or not.

It was a loooong time ago. 😉

donks
    Free Member

MKChris..trust me i have tried it's like this god forsaken concrete hell has some kind of hold over me….in a Patrick magowen prisoner kind of way!! if only some one would offer me an electrical engineering job in the heart of the peaks 😆

yamyamblade
    Free Member

i guessed it was you somehow, hope you've had your haircut!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Where do you live and how did you get there?’ is closed to new replies.