• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Where do MAMILs go on holiday?
  • markgraylish
    Free Member

Inspire me!

I’ve been living in Vancouver BC for the last 7+ years but I’ll be returning to the UK for the first time late spring next year for a wedding. I’m thinking of extending my stay to take in some road-riding in the UK and/or Europe

(I’ve been spoilt for mountain biking over here, but the road-riding sucks by comparison to Europe)

Wedding is May 23rd 2015. So I could holiday the two weeks prior or the two weeks after, meaning any areas such as the high Alps could well be too snowy/cold/crappy

I’ll want a reasonable guarantee of decent warm sunny weather and either the sea or lakes for afternoon swims

Thoughts so far:

Mallorca (though I went cycle touring there about 15 years ago)
    SW France/Atlantic coast
    Geneva to Nice
    Croatia

Would consider a self-supported ‘centre’ with lots loops or a supported/organized holiday from point-to-point.
    I don’t really want to do a bike-packing trip as I specifically want to be able to travel light
    Don’t have to take the full two weeks
    I’m not specifically aiming to conquer col after col either, though one or two big TdF cols to tick off would be nice.

Any good websites anyone can suggest? Or tour companies I pick ideas from?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I was expecting a better punchline

tomhoward

Base in Alpe d’huez, ride some legendary cols, then do the mega route if you fancy it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    markgraylish
    Free Member

I was expecting a better punchline

Sorry, but with the turn-over of posts on here, and the limited attention span of the average STW’er, I had to get your attention somehow… 😉

ampthill

May can be very early in the Alps

Majorca lept into my mind. Southern Spain around granada perhaps

Markie
    Free Member

Club la Santa.

Club La Santa Lanzarote

At least, that’s where the ones I know go.

brooess
    Free Member

Where do MAMILs go on holiday?

Richmond Park and Box Hill it would appear

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Of those you list, Geneva to Nice would be my pick but at that time of the year I’d venture further south. Just got back from Mallorca which was okay but not as impressive as I thought it would be. See Skedaddle for a good tour company.

captain-slow
    Free Member

take a look at http://www.forevermorzine.co.uk – went to the alps with them last year, but early season I think they go to sicily or corsica or somewhere similar

really good guys, would recommend them without hesitation

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Mallorca in May will be lovely. Just make sure you’re based somewhere good for the type of riding you want. You can hire good kit out there, the flight’s short from the UK, you can stay cheap or fancy, ride flat or mountains, discover courteous drivers who ‘get’ cyclists, eat great food and drink fine coffee and beer.

Port de Pollenca works well if you’ve got non-cycling family with you, but it’s also a good base for some of the classic road routes, but you can still ride some great climbs from some of the south coast resorts too – staying almost anywhere between Andratx and Palmanova gets you into the bottom of the Tramuntana and some cracking routes.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Where do MAMILs go on holiday?

Goa in January, but I only wear lycra under my baggies & I wouldn’t even ride a bike in Goa, too hot.

Go Canucks!!

Soz, no help at all. 🙄

MoreCashThanDash

This year I’ve been to Peebles and Eurodisney.

Had a couple of great trips to Club La Santa in the late 90s in my pre cycling days. Lots of other sporty things to do for non cyclists.

MrsMC won’t let me go back there after I enjoyed it too much.

*invokes the Ross From Friends Defence*

danti

Corsica – superb road riding and a bit warmer than the Alps.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Club La Santa looks more regimented and focused specificly on training which doesn’t immediately appeal. Seems they only operate in Lanzarote?

Ride Morzine is limited for my dates, though do have one Corsica tour which coincides

Corsica – superb road riding and a bit warmer than the Alps.

I went to Corsica on holiday many years ago and the roads on the west coast looked superb but the tarmac was rough-as-****, the roads were very narrow & twisty and Corsican driving was, err, spirited. Have things improved?

Will have a proper look thru Skedaddles web site later…

Keep the ideas coming…

TiRed

Oudenaarde in April.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Where do MAMILs go on holiday?’ is closed to new replies.