Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Where do I go for a cheap Giant Reign? (or similar enduro weapon)
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Got your new frame hobbers?

oldtimejedi
    Free Member

5.11 and a medium is spot on, just put 30mm riser bars on.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, it was waiting for me when I got home. Awesome service, all they wanted was 2 pictures 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

I considered the Rallon as well but I think the X30 comes with a QR rear.

I mean WTFLOL!?!

My Reign should be here tomorrow or Thurs. Any set-up tips?

😀

julians
    Free Member

I considered the Rallon as well but I think the X30 comes with a QR rear.

yes I think it does, but you can buy the 142x 12 rear end for something like £40

wrecker
    Free Member

Order some token for the shock and fork

chakaping
    Free Member

Order some token for the shock and fork

Already got some Pike tokens in the garage.

Also already purchased a replacement shock.

:S

wrecker
    Free Member

New shock? The monarch plus has impressed me no end, despite hankering for a shiney fox number.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mine comes with the Monarch RT.

I’ve used the shock on another bike and it’s alright, very active and swallows bumps easily.

But I picked up a CCDB Inline for a price I couldn’t refuse. Will be keeping the Monarch as a backup though.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

But I picked up a CCDB Inline for a price I couldn’t refuse. Will be keeping the Monarch as a backup though.

Ah.

Do a little research on the Inline with the Reign. I, and a number of other have tried it it. If you’re riding at any pace, quite simply, it doesn’t work.

The leverage ratio on the Reign is on the higher side, so the Inline will struggle with that for starters. The useable adjustment range is tiny as a result.

I had all the volume spacers I could in it, and even with all the HS compression on (which then affects the LS) it bottomed out way too easily. I ended up running 10-15% sag to compensate! so it basically rode like a sack of sh*t. Thankfully both of the Inlines I tried broke, so I got to try something else. I would genuinely say the Monarch RT is better on this bike.

If you want something different though, Monarch + DA, Float X, Float X2 in order of performance IMO. The CCDB Air won’t fit it for reference.

tomaso
    Free Member

I am 6’2″ and got an XL and it is huge. It has taken some adjusting to but its starting to click with me now. Overall it is a great bike for the money, in fact it’s just a great bike! It doesn’t feel fast or sprightly up hill but my STRAVA says its quick with PBs up a range of climbs from long slogs like Garburn and Gatesgarth to more technical steep loose climbs.

As for tips…

The stock tyres have Rizla blue sidewalls and were junked instantly from Specialized grid casing Butcher Purgatory combo.

I’ve fitted nearly a whole pack of bottomless rings to the shock and it doesn’t blow through anymore and feels sweet.

The stem got swapped from 70mm to 35mm. And the bars got chopped down a wee bit.

The Deore cranks need heli tapping as their profile means heel rub is inevitable and the black finish wears off and looks pants.

Keep an eye on the OEM wheels spoke tension as they are either slack to start or lack thread lock and go loose quickly. My front wheel got pummelled in Wasdale and has a nice side to side wave now.

The lower shock hardware is fiddly and will test your patience!

tomaso
    Free Member

Oh and I like how Giant UK have stretched the size guide to allow fort them not importing the XL!

wrecker
    Free Member

Monarch + DA

8)

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers for the input hobnob, I’ll give the Inline a miss then. Won’t have any trouble selling it on.

What’s the buzz about chain retention? I’ve got some XT 1×11 kit on the way. Is a chain device required? Will be doing lots of rocky riding.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There are normally a few decent choices floating around second hand. I’ve tried a few options, run an X2 on mine – which I think is hands down the best shock i’ve used on any bike.

Chain guides – I run an MRP AMG on mine, just because I race a fair bit and I don’t want to lose a chain. I was half tempted to lose the lower bash guard, but the state it’s in from all the hits it’s taken, i’m very reluctant to (after having bent a chainring from a big rock strike).

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m happy to stick with the Monarch RT for a bit anyway. And I’ll try without a chainguide for a bit, see how it goes.

Cheers for the tips Tomaso, I must confess I’m replacing the drivetrain. brakes, wheels, stem, bar and tyres from the off for stuff I already have.

Well, hoping I’ll have the XT 1×11 bits today or tomorrow anyway.

Gotama
    Free Member

Groundskeepwilly – Pedal and Spoke in Peaslake/Cranleigh have a medium ex-display rallon for sale. Not sure on price but may be worth giving them a ring if its the right size.

BoardinBob

Does the Reign still have a problem with the lower linkage snapping or have they solved it?

wrecker
    Free Member

The frame was completely redesigned for 2015 (to 650b) bob.

tomaso
    Free Member

No one has snapped one on 120 pages of the 2015 Reign thread on Pinkbike. Some foolhardy types have broken their carbon frames…not mentioning any names that sound like a biscuit…

chakaping
    Free Member

Blimey, that Reign thread on PB is a bit of a rabbit hole.

Might have to put a day aside to read the whole thing.

Still no sign of Le Reign here.

v666ern
    Free Member

tap tap tap

c’mon has it arrived yet!?!?

wrecker
    Free Member

Still no sign of Le Reign here.

😀
    I don’t want to say I told you so, but I told you so!
    I think the courier they use row the stuff across in a dinghy. Mine took like 3 weeks I think?

chakaping
    Free Member

Arrived this morning.

Box seemed to have been torn open a bit but all appears to be present and correct.

Sitting astride it, the position feels great. Medium but it’s longer than some large bikes, while still being nice and low.

🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

PICTURES!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

In time.

Currently babysitting while bike is stripped to chassis in garage.

Nice to see they’ve included downtube guides for rear brake as well as internal cable routing.

Even if they’re on the wrong side.

chakaping
    Free Member
    wrecker
    Free Member

Cool blog. I bought a pack of spacers for the monarch plus on mine. I doubt I’ll use them all so I can throw one your way if it’ll fit the normal monarch?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My old one’s demise:

It’s replacement isn’t quite so offensive to the eye 🙂

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Is the 29er for sale? Could be intrested..

chakaping
    Free Member

Wrecker – That’s very kind thanks but my pal already offered me some last night I think. And glad you like the blog, if you click the FB/Twitter/Insta icons on it you can follow/like to get updates.

rock3 – Yes it is, please email me.

hobnob – I quite like the green, it’s nowhere near as offensive as the orange/yellow or the new turquoise/yellow.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The green was better in the flesh to be fair, it wouldn’t have been my first choice, but Giant kindly replaced it with the colour I wanted (but didn’t want to wait for when I got the bike ~12 months ago).

The orange one, i’m probably conditioned to it now – Whistler hire bike number 1, i’ve been around hundreds of them all summer. The new turquoise one – better in the flesh, and a great spec, my wife likes the colour of it 🙂

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Just ordered a Reign this morning 😀 any updates from the folks who bought theirs recently?

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes, it’s still awesome.

Earlier today on top of a hill…

chakaping
    Free Member

Also, I had to put lots more air than expected in the shock (Monarch RT3 – about 250psi) – but it is very impressive.

Glad I didn’t bother upgrading it in the end.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve started reading the Pink Bike thread, looks like the monarch is the best option albeit with some reduction bands. Is that a wheel upgrade?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The standard shock isn’t too bad, considering it’s not exactly a high end one.

Save your money for something really good for it (vivid air/float x2/11-6)

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve started reading the Pink Bike thread, looks like the monarch is the best option albeit with some reduction bands.

The Monarch RT is great, yeah – no need for any bands on mine.

Supple, gets full travel, good support. Hard work pumping it up to 250psi though.

Is that a wheel upgrade?

Set of Superstar Tech 4 wheels I already had. Got something more fancy and French on the way though.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Did you feel the wheels were the first thing to upgrade?

HobNob, I’m finding your posts very informative over on PB cracking looking bike too.

scunny
    Free Member

Where could I find one of these in Large for da barginz?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Where do I go for a cheap Giant Reign? (or similar enduro weapon)’ is closed to new replies.