Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Where do I get a long cable to lock 4+ bikes up?
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

Looking to lock multiple bikes up to a ground anchor and need a long cable to do so 4/5m+ would be ideal.

Is there anywhere that does them?
    Or has anyone got any igneous solutions?

Cheers

soobalias
    Free Member

multiple locks?

never seen a single lock that sort of length, without it just being chain/padlock

tinsy
    Free Member

Yup, you should be able to get a lifting cable in massive lengths with eye’s at each end.

edit, search lifting slings.
    http://www.lifting-equipment.co.uk/p/WIRE-ROPE-SLING/c–g0ntnNaHE/h

Northwind

2 cables the same? Actually, I’m sure I saw some humungous ones for sale on ebay a while back…

But seriously, cables are all ****. Chain comes in longer lengths, and actually might work.

ads678

I got one from B&Q that is 3m long, i’m sure they longer ones. can’t remember what it was called, i’ll check when i get home.

ThePinkster

If it’s going to a ground anchor and doesn’t need to be transported anywhere I’d be more inclined to use heavy chain as you can buy it in pretty much any length.

My local locksmiths even sell plastic coated security chain by the metre.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Screwfix do them 2.1M or 4.5M but I’d only use it to secure bikes to a car rack in transit.

geoffj

Multiple locks & multiple chains FTW

belugabob
    Free Member

Lava – that’s an igneous solution 😉

Seriously though, multiple cables and locks should suffice – also makes it easier to release one or two bikes without having to unthread the entire length of cable.

Gorehound
    Free Member

I got one from B&Q that is 3m long, i’m sure they longer ones. can’t remember what it was called, i’ll check when i get home.

That might be a masterlock cable, they do a 5m one as well which is more than enough to lock 4 bikes up.

Northwind

The main downside of a cable lock is that it’ll take you longer to unlock your bikes with the key, than it will take a thief to cut the lock with a cable cutter.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

What would be the best way to install a ground anchor in a shed which is built in flags rather than concrete?

gusamc
    Free Member

I use a windsurfer lock cable for in the car etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Board-Lock-Steel-cable-BRANDNEW-/251065785997?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Windsurfing_CV&hash=item3a74afde8d

I’d say maybe too thin for a static job, but appreciate plastic coating,I’ve used mine for years now, so qualitywise is good and it bends fairly easily for weaving through frames and wheels

coolhandluke
    Free Member

How about this from Screwfix. Just add a big padlock

£12.59.

Clicky

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Where do I get a long cable to lock 4+ bikes up?’ is closed to new replies.