Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where did the cheap flights go – UK to Singapore/KL etc.
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have a lot of airlines stopped their routes? Getting a really limited & expensive selection of direct flights coming up. Is there a good SE Asian Hub that is better these days? Half looking at combining it with a work trip but flying to Dubai/Abu Dhabi does take the shine of it a little

stewartc
    Free Member

Have you registered with Cathay for their fanfare Tuesday’s, they often do some good deals if you dont mind going via HK?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll take a look, chance I’ll be up in Jakarta from Oz for a week and last time I was there I spied some great deals back to the UK but looks like lots are going via the middle east now.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Go with one of the Middle Eastern airlines or Turkish. OK not direct, but not a huge inconvenience. They’re much cheaper and undercutting the traditional and overcrowded Kangaroo routes. Pricing is totally linked to capacity, and between all the Middle-Eastern operators plus Turkish theyre is more capacity than the traditional direct routes. Maybe when Heathrow’s third runway is built then more capacity will be released and prices will come down again…..

paladin

Singapore via Istanbul is apparently inexpensive

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Finnair are worth looking at.

The separation of BA and Qantas has, I believe, had a bit of an impact on travelling that way. Also, business travel budgets are back up again, so more people paying full(er) price .
    I do miss my trips to SIN. Land, taxi, pool, food. Lovely. Only getting to the US these days.

jambalaya
    Free Member

They went up a lot a few years back, I think airlines cut capacity. Via Middle East is often cheapest but you have a stopover in Doha/Dubai etc. you can also look at Thai via Bangcok it’s the route a friend of mine uses but that’s as he says it’s the cheapest first class.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thanks for the help and ideas but think it’s been ruled out for this trip, nothing leaping out as cheap and the flight times once you start changing make it a pain for what would only be a week back.

chewkw
    Free Member

I fly with Emirates all the time …

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep Emirates/Qantas Dubai or Etihad/Virgin Abu Dhabi is my choice for going the full distance but going there for a stop is just a bit too much hassle for the value.
    That and some of the prices are similar to coming direct from Oz if you get it right.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where did the cheap flights go – UK to Singapore/KL etc.’ is closed to new replies.