• This topic has 35 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Where did "aggressive" as a description of riding a bike come from?
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

I ask because the only time I can think of riding a bike aggressively is chasing some muppet in a car after he forced his way past when the road was way too marrow.

yunki
    Free Member

what’s it got to do with you..? hey..? HEY..!?

cynic-al
    Free Member

“aggressive xc” gives me a LOL too, “wannabee freeride racer” more like.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m gonna take up aggressive touring.

I’ll just sneer at any pedestrians I see.

juan
    Free Member

Well Al in order to understnad the agressive XC i’d love to know what a freerider is ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

juan, if you have to ask…back of the class!

juan
    Free Member

Well yes I have to ask. AFAIK I am free to ride any trail I want 😉

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Juan, it’s like Freecycle – you go to the tip and build a bike from anything you find there. Works for me. 😀

muckytee
    Free Member

freeride racer

surely that’s an oxymoron

brooess
    Free Member

When I ride road aggressively, I’m riding fast and attacking the corners and the climbs rather than taking it easy
    When I ride MTB aggressively I’m riding fast, with flow, pumping, manualling, generally being very active rather than just holding on/riding slowly

Aggressive riding is more fun IMHO 🙂

muckytee
    Free Member

Aggressive = not mincing 😐

Rorschach
    Free Member

Brooess yesterday.

chakaping
    Free Member

The combativity award (also known in English as the most aggressive rider prize)[1] is a prize given in the Tour de France.

Since 1952 according to Wikipedia.

HTH 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

I don’t write on my forehead. What you on about? 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

When I ride road aggressively, I’m riding fast and attacking the corners and the climbs rather than taking it easy
    When I ride MTB aggressively I’m riding fast, with flow, pumping, manualling, generally being very active rather than just holding on/riding slowly

See – everyone I’ve ever ridden with just calls that “riding”.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This is just riding a bike.

Northwind

As far as I can tell it’s for people that ride XC, but think that riding XC is for mincers, so don’t like to think of their riding as mere XC.

Personally, I ride passive downhill and if anyone says otherwise, well maybe I’m wrong.

brooess
    Free Member

This is just riding a bike.

For some people, yes. But many don’t IME

Northwind

brooess – Member

Yup. And that’s just riding a bike too.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Personally, I ride passive downhill and if anyone says otherwise, well maybe I’m wrong.

Passive aggressive?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No, Ive got to disagree. If you arent doing as you said then you arent riding a bike, you are merely a passenger.

sc-xc

Where did “aggressive” as a description of riding a bike come from?

The zoo. You got to be on your shizz.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c[/video]

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I think of aggressive riding as doing things like instead of taking the wide entrance to berms, cutting in halfway and drifting into it. Stuff like that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

brooess’ riding is better than yours!

glupton1976
    Free Member

I think of aggressive riding as doing things like instead of taking the wide entrance to berms, cutting in halfway and drifting into it. Stuff like that.

So is aggressive riding merely what I would call “riding like a fudd”?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It is, obviously, when you get into some fisticuffs with a rambler which you have instigated. If the rambler instigates it is naturally called Defensive XC. And if no fisticuffs ensues then it is just riding your bike.

I suppose said fisticuffs could involve other members of the public too.

There is also Slightly Miffed XC for those moments someone shouts at you, but you didn’t quite hear what about. Irate XC for when you shout at someone for being a fool (usually a rambler whom has accused you of despoiling the countryside). And Can’t Be Arsed XC which is what I am currently doing since it is raining outside and my bike is past it’s use by date 😉

juan
    Free Member

Riding like a moron and digging brake bumps in the trail?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Not really. There’s no grabbing a brake involved and not enough people are good enough to ride like that to cause braking bumps.

ask1974
    Free Member

Ooowww… Lets play samantics.

I see nothing wrong with using the term ‘aggressive’ as an adjective to riding (noun). It defines how someone may like to ride on any given day in relation to how they normally do. I like the follow dictionary reference;

“vigorously energetic, especially in the use of initiative and forcefulness”

Today I rode a tad aggressively and ended up with a hole in my leg… I think it works 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’d say it’s any type of riding flat-out.

Bit like driving aggressively.

Pushing the boundaries as opposed to holding back.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I find dawdlers more moronic personally.

klunky
    Free Member

Please watch the slalom sections on the above film if you dont understand what aggresive riding looks like.

It should be pretty clear after watching.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Hmm – that just looks like fannying around on a bike.

klunky
    Free Member

Im sure you are faster than Palmer eh…

ojom
    Free Member

do you reckon he slammed his saddle though?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Where did "aggressive" as a description of riding a bike come from?’ is closed to new replies.