• This topic has 22 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • where can you surf and rock climb in Europe?
  • jimmy

South France? Spain? Portugal? Anyone done this combination in Europe?

tlr

Northern Spain. Lofoten, Norway.

meehaja
    Free Member

Morrocco… not really europe but close enough.

yunki
    Free Member

at the beach

uplink
    Free Member

Lanzarote must have climbing

kcr
    Free Member

Caithness:
    World class surf, and sea cliffs:
    http://www.samhchair.com/act.html

highclimber
    Free Member

Cornwall? north wales?

tangent
    Free Member

Tarifa, Spain (climbing ain’t the best tho’–go inland to El Chorro)

Cornish is the coolest suggestion

nedrapier

North Devon, Ireland, Lewis, and probably a plenty of other Scottish islands

BigJohn

I got back from Tarifa yesterday. I’ve never seen any evidence of surf except in the winter months, and even then it was a bit poor.

But it’s still just about my favorite place on the planet.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

hopefully pembroke/ gower as that is where I am heading next week. 🙂

Pook

baggy point, north devon.

molgrips
    Free Member

The Gower? Good climbing but most of it is only accessible by beach at low tide.

jam-bo

Sennen.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hey Jimmy, I hope you’re well! I haven’t done much climbing since I got here but there is a place between Bilbao and Santander called Baltzola and there’s great surf about there. http://novebi.ning.com/group/baltzolaclimbing

Edit: It’s not for the faint hearted though and some of the locals are a big strong!

antigee

dougbasque is spot on google costa verde / asturias sports climbing northern side Pico de Europa and big atlantic swells

GW
    Free Member

East Lothian

druidh
    Free Member

Lewis/Harris. But you knew that already?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup another for “Bilbao and Santander called Baltzola”

Spent some excellent times on that coastline and just inland..
    You can get a ferry that way too but driving or plane is probably best.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Tarifa has rock climbing areas, just google for them. The surf around Tarifa picks up in the winter months but it is mainly a kite / wind surf area. check magic seaweed for wave info. Obviously being the med the waves are created by wind rather than swell.

There’s some good camping places around tarifa aswell. We camped for free for weeks in our van outside tarifa going west, there’s a cool surf beach with a bar/cafe and a big field. Lots of Brit New Age travellers come down from the sierra nevada mountains and summer there free for months as its a public field.

Other than that I’d look at san sebastian, surf beach right in the town centre and the Pyrenees mountains directly behind it. But I guess that goes for quite a bit of the coastline down there of north spain and south france as you’ve either got the pyrenees or the picos de europa to choose from to climb in.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Don’t know about the surfing but for rockclimbing you must go to the Verdon Gorge in Provence. It’s deeper than the Grand Canyon and you can drive to the top, then abseil off and climb back up or you can walk in to the bottom through a tunnel blasted out of the rock but take a torch as it has no lighting. Just remembered, there’s windsurfing on a massive man-made lake at the bottom of the gorge.

cynic-al
    Free Member

West coast of France and the Alps.

😉

Andalucia?

iolo
    Free Member

Porthmadog

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘where can you surf and rock climb in Europe?’ is closed to new replies.