Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Where can I save weight on this for not a huge £
  • Spankmonkey
    Free Member

I have just changed the spec on my 5.5 to some heavier wheels and forks so want to shave some weight elsewhere…. Just not sure where would be best and the easiest weight to £ I can save. I didn’t get on with the Fox 32’s I had so wanted some slightly more burley forks & Wheels. Set up will now be

Medium Intense 5.5
    Fox Talas 36 r
    DHX 5.0 Air
    Thomson Stem & Post
    Halo Freedom Wheels
    Hope Mono Mini’s (Silver & black caps)
    X-9 Mech & Shifters
    RF BB
    DX Pedals
    Nevegal Tyres
    PZ Racing Bars
    San Marco Ponza Saddle
    Think Deore Chainset (came off a lapierre OEM)
    Hope Headset

I think I will end up putting on about ½ KG with the new forks & Wheels. So where can I shave weight without selling the kids?

wors

have a dump?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If you are using lockons, swap them for foam grips as long as you use some form of adhesive they are just as good and far more comfortable, you'll also save 100g which is a good weight reduction for about £8.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    radoggair
    Free Member

think you'll put on more than 1lb with heavier forks n wheels. Close to 2 or 3 maybe.

Save 1/2 lb on pedals, tiatnium spring and lighter tyres

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Have you already bought the wheels? Freedoms are pretty heavy, I saved nearly 500g going from Freedoms to Crossmax SXs. Cassette and chain might be worth a look, 11-28 SLX Cassette is very light, KMC SL chain (hollow pins)also very light. If you are running a standard cheapish chain/cassette combo theres a couple of hundred grammes to be saved there. Splash out on some magnesium bodied, Ti axled pedals (try NC-17).

TBH I'd look at other wheel options if you've not already committed.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Actually looking again its about 5 lbs it will put on, I am going from Fox 32 Talas to Fox 36 Talas and crossride wheels to Halo Freedom's.

The DX Pedals seemed quite light in hand not sure what light weight pedals are out there. I would like to shove some XTR cranks on but they are too much! Any light weight X-Type BB's Out there? I think realistically I could do the BB, HS, Pedals, perhaps the fork springs, brake levers, Tyres (around 2.3).

Konastoner
    Free Member

You could probably squeeze 1/2 lb out of the chainset, with full ally on the rings & upgrade to XT cranks. Weight saving on the wheels is worth double on the frame set remember, your wheelset is around 2350gms without tyres. You could get that down to 1900ish with 5.1's and Pro2's that'll get another 1lb off but worth 2.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

And yes I have comitted, going from the 32 forks to the 36's my crossrides where not compatible so it was a quick solution and at least a tough wheelset.. I can always look to upgrade the wheels in the future…

I agree that the wheels are the deal braker as it were… what would you recommend for a do it all set? need to run them for XC, bit of jumping and I do go to Cwm Carn so need to handle must stuff

DustyLilac
    Free Member

cassette
    chain
    pedals

XT Cranks BB combo pretty light at 820g all in

DustyLilac
    Free Member

I agree that the wheels are the deal braker as it were… what would you recommend for a do it all set?

Crossmax SX are silly money, but how about 819s on Pro IIs running tubeless?

Sam

Wheels – Halos are hefty. Agree on something like 819's (maybe Stans Flow?) on ProII's tubeless.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Freedoms aren't as heavy as they look, only 530g ish IIRC?

You wont get lighter for the same strength without spending a lot of cash.

Begs the question though, why are you building a light/mid weight enduro type frame with forks and wheels more at home doing 20ft drops and still trying to lose weight?

140mm bolt thru' Revs and your pick of the millions of lightweight 29mm rims?

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Freedoms aren't as heavy as they look, only 530g ish IIRC?

The complete wheelsets are quite heavy though…

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Ok.. I used to ride a Demo 8, commencal furious etc etc.. I love Downhill etc but after 2 bad accidents I decided to not focus on Going downhill, just ride and enjoy it.. but I am not an XC rider. So I need something … and I hate the phrase "all mountain" as light but as tough as possible. Now from reviews and personal conversations with other owners the 5.5 frame seemed ideal, light but very tough. A few I spoke to said they have used 36's and it was great, reduce the travel for XC or full travel for a good ragging, I have seen a video of someone chucking a 5.5 over a 30ft gap jump.. No I wont, but its nice to know it can take it. I know the 5.5 can be built either way XC or aggresive All Mountain… and by my past riding I need it to be the latter! so that is it really, It is my only bike that needs to do everything…. just if possible I need to shed a few LBS for the all day rides!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

You'd lose a fair bit going to an RP2 or RP23 from the DHX Air.

Olly
    Free Member

TYRES!

tyres make the biggest difference to ANY bike by a LONG LONG way.
    both weight that you have to move, and friction/drag on the ground.

Single speed it? 😉

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

singlespeed.. I guess shaving my legs would be the next progression 😉

So far I love the 5.5 and know it was the right decision for a do it all machine, I guess it may be a case of save up for some light but tough wheels… cranks and tyres. My cassette & chain were near on top of the line SRAM so dont want to replace them for quite a while!

mark_b
    Free Member

So far I love the 5.5 and know it was the right decision for a do it all machine,

Honestly, i give you another three months on it going on your past record 😉

MrAgreeable

Wellgo MG1s seem to be the light bargain pedal of choice on here – about £30 on eBay.

Re tyres, it's not just the weight, the tread design will make a big difference to how bearable something is to ride all day. A Maxxis Crossmark, Larsen or High Roller semislick on the back will make a heavier bike into a bit less of a drag.

montylikesbeer

ianpinder
    Free Member

why not buy the pro2 and stans flow rims, from hope, 260 or there abouts at some shops, really light and strong and keep your alo wheels for when you want to go a little bit mental

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

thats not bad idea Ian… 2 sets of wheels.. mmm

Mark… nope not this time! this is the 1st AM bike I have had the rest were way too DH which I pushed myself to do too much instead of just riding

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

freedom's on proII? (or any other lightweight hub?)

I use EN321's which are marginaly heavier than freedoms, at the end of the day with wheels weight = strength for the most part, they'r all similar alloys, in similar shapes in similar sizes, shave off some weight to make them light and you lose some strentgth. Unless you spend silly money on factory stuff with expensive spokes, and machined rims.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

the £150 NC17 Magnesium pedals look eerily like the DMR V12 Mag with the optional Ti axle fitted.

Both of which are probably made on the same production line as the Wellgo MG1, which as Mr agreeable says are on ebay new for ~£30.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Where can I save weight on this for not a huge £’ is closed to new replies.