Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • where can i get a quick alu drill jig made (cheaply)?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i need a jig, ideally two, for accurate drilling of skateboard truck holes. fag packet size roughly, i can send a pic with exactly what i’m after. anyone know where i could get such a think made, its not a complicated item that i want. cheers

wwaswas

was going to suggest a bit of mdf with these in but they’re not that cheap if you need a few;

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-12mm-drill-guide-bush

nickjb
    Free Member

If you have a local laser cutting firm they should be able to squeeze it in, assuming it can be made up from a few flat sections. Some will be able to work from a sketch or you’ll need to supply a DXF (Happy to turn your sketch into a DXF if you like)

I have a couple I use, one is good for one offs, the other has a minimum order of £50 (your bit would be under £5). Shame you didn’t post a couple of days ago. I’ve just placed an order with the £50 guys and had to add a couple of random parts to make up the order. Would have been happy to add your bits instead.

An alternative is to print it out, stick it to a piece of metal, centre-punch the holes and drill it carefully.

creagbhan

Could you get it 3d printed?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

no it’ll need to be alu or maybe steel, it just needs to be really accurate from the outset. think a skateboard riser pad but for drilling so 6 holes (to take a 3/16 bit) and has a center line guide as well.

i can buy them from the US but the post is horrendous so with the actual parts will be about 100quid all up.

thanks for the offer nickjb, i may take you up the dxf thing if i can find someone.

igm

You can’t canabalise an old broken skate truck?

mickmcd
    Free Member

We could make such a thing after all I’m making some actual trucks for the skateboard scene

Bear in mind drill bushes are 5 quid a go and accuracy costs money

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Are you drilling the trucks or the deck? I suspect the deck so you can get away with clearence holes so super accuracy isn’t a problem. You could scribe a piece of gauge steel, centre pop it and drill with a pillar drill. Depending on how msny you are planning on drilling you could then harden the plate. Would be good for couple of hundred holes. Scribe your centres on and match to the deck. Not sophisticated but would work.

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

I have sent you an email old skater.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Cheers guys. It really does not need to be that complicated, it’s for drilling the holes into the deck. An old base plate is ok but I want something a little better. It’s possible I don’t even need drill bushes as it won’t be used that much. I could prob do one myself with a pillar drill as was suggested but I’d like it a bit more accurate. Basically I just need something along these lines. Possibly though with a modification so a threaded rod can be used to set wb.
    http://www.funboxdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/snatchblock.jpg

mickmcd
    Free Member

well you said alu drill jig in your topic so i assumed your putting some kind of bush in there

but hey if your prepared to pay for an hour of my time i will cnc machine one from steel for you

ps you will have to send a drawing of itas the trucks i have are 4 holes and i dont know which pitch your using

ontor
    Free Member

Buddy, you’re trying to be too accurate & will end up with an expensive jig that is orders of magnitude more precise than the way that you are lining it up on the deck, and the dimensions of the deck itself. Just drill some steel & go!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘where can i get a quick alu drill jig made (cheaply)?’ is closed to new replies.