Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Where can I get a cheeap frame/fork for the wife?
  • poppa
    Free Member

I am looking to build up a cheap bike for my wife – I have some wheels, mechs, handlebars, shifters etc. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find a sub-£100 Alu frame to hang it off? The cheapest I have found is Brand-X stuff at CRC for £100. It also seems quite hard to get hold of rigid forks – they seem to start at about £50! All help appreciated.

Moses

Buy my small MOngoose frame, good nick, Vs or disk brakes, £40 posted.

Clink

Merlin frames were going for £90ish (40% off) last time I looked.

freakcrab
    Free Member

Yep, Merlin seem to still have frames with a couple of useful bits for 100 quid.
    Not sure about forks. The benchmark Kona Project 2s are 70 quid.

matt_outandabout

Second hand – got to be someone on here with a half decent frame and forks kicking around – even factor in a £20 respray from local powder coaters if she is like my wife and wants it to look nice…!

poppa
    Free Member

Hmm, Merlin stuff sounds interesting. Not keen on the decals, but I guess I could probably remove those. Shame bout forks – £70 for a P2 sounds like a lot to me. Could probably get carbon for not much more.

TomB

Sure you want rigid forks- I’ve got some 04 Marzocchi MX Comps I’ve just taken off a bike which will be going for cheap.

Hooter
    Free Member

The merlin sale jump frames are £65 (plus postage), about 4 1/2lbs so not too heavy for xc. They even have rack eyelets. Forks, second hand is your best bet, you should be able to get some old Marzocchi MX Pros for under £100, or second hand v forks for 20ish, but make sure they are the right length for the frame.

DezB
    Free Member

Merlin usually send the frames bare and you can take or leave the stickers.

midlifecrashes

Orange f8 rigid forks are £55 at Fatbirds

takisawa2

Samways in Derby had some nice alloy frames in smaller sizes for £50.
    My mate bought one for his lad.
    Its very nice.

As for forks…STW Classifieds.

tinsy
    Free Member

These are good for the money, light and nice gemetetry, I built one as a singlespeed some time back.

http://www.dirtyjobikes.co.uk/Frames/Dirty_Jo_Triple_Butted_Frame

If you can stretch your budget the Merlin team tig sl scandium frame is a lot of frame for not much money.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=694

I got some Pace rc31s that I have been meaning to take some pictures of to sell if your interested in those. But yes, you can buy carbons for under £100

poppa
    Free Member

Hmm, that Dirty Jo looks interesting, not heard of them before. Any idea if they are lightweight, comparitively speaking? It would be good to build her a light bike, I don’t want to put her off!

tinsy
    Free Member

The triple butted is under 4lb for a medium, they have another thats not triple butted at £80 nice little frames. (almost identicle to the brand X xc hartail)

Here is mine built up, the forks on this were a little too short for it, I bought the RC31’s after a few rides..

MtbCol
    Free Member

GT Aggressor frame for £57 at http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?category_id=19
    I’ve used these in the past and had a good level of service from them.

poppa
    Free Member

Thanks guys great response and a great help. Would never have found all those options on my own! Will probably start ordering bits next week.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Where can I get a cheeap frame/fork for the wife?’ is closed to new replies.