Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Where can I get a 26inch 20mm front wheel?
  • ibnchris

Bearings are knackered on my front wheel and thinking it might be as cost effective to pick up a new front wheel (nad maybe the rear as well) in the sales or secondhand. But everything is 15mm…

Any ideas? Or how easy to convert to 20mm…guessing quite hard. Secondhand would not be ruled out…

Don’t really want to spend more than £50…£100 on a set

bruneep

Something with a Hope hub easy peasy to convert

nickjb
    Free Member

Plenty of good 2nd hand 26″ 20mm wheels out there. Mixing 2 obsolete standards makes them dirt cheap. Only hard bit is getting one with a wider rim if that’s what you fancy.

ibnchris

Ebay then? Not seen many on here…

akira

Put something in the wanted and you’ll get plenty of offers. I’ve got two in the loft, sun ringle and superstar spank one, although the chocolate spank rims might put people off.

mactheknife

Hope pro hubs can be converted with removing the end caps. You should be able to pick up a cheap as chips wheel with this hub. Ebay is always good or take thr rim to your LBS and get then to rebuild. But like you say cost then rises.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Pinkbike.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above Hope Hub or S/h Hope Hoops wheel or convert your old one. I kept my old wheels (2006) as spares as my forks are 26″/20mm as/when the bearings are knackered I was thinking of replacing with Hope and a rebuild someday.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve a nice roval 26″ one that can be purchased from me cheaply. Email in profile for details.

kayla1
    Free Member

Ebay, pretty much. I got a pair of SS Switch hubs (20mm and 135mm QR) with 26″ i23 rims for £60-odd least week 😀

Del

i’m guessing all those recommending a set of hopes missed

Don’t really want to spend more than £50…£100 on a set

OP – change the bearings. typically you can pick up replacements for less than a tenner. and before anyone shouts that they’ll be shit, i’ll just drop in that i have less than a tenner’s worth of bearings in my front dt swiss 240 hub and they last a lot longer than the dt swiss ones did. 😉

Northwind

In all honesty unless it’s cup and cone or rubbish, fixing the bearings is going to make more sense. But, stealth aaaaadddddd!

I’ve got a Roval Traversee EL front wheel with 20mm adaptor sat in the shed- I killed the rear so it’s an orphan. It’s the original Traversee from back when that still meant a good wheel- tubeless, fairly light but reasonably strong, I had it in various hardtails so it’s well used but still going strong… Would be looking for around the £70 mark and I think I have a few spare supercomps for it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-specialized-bicycles-roval-traversee-disc-wheelset-28683/

That wasn’t very stealthy, **** it.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I still use the above roval wheels in my enduro sx and they have outlasted many newer sets

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bearings are knackered on my front wheel and thinking it might be as cost effective to pick up a new front wheel

Not if they’re cartrige bearings it won’t.
    I’ve got a 26in 20mm wheel hanging up in the garage, but that’s mine!

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of 2014/15 Mavic crossmax sx
    In great condition with new bearings and spare spokes 20mm front and any configuration you want rear.
    Inc tyres if you need too but nearer £200

stevenk4563
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of wheels with silver Hope bulb hubs, 20mm front, qr rear, on Mavic rims (321 I think), good bearings and Stans tubeless rim strips, pretty bomb proof, £90 delivered.

deadkenny
    Free Member

OP – change the bearings. typically you can pick up replacements for less than a tenner. and before anyone shouts that they’ll be shit, i’ll just drop in that i have less than a tenner’s worth of bearings in my front dt swiss 240 hub and they last a lot longer than the dt swiss ones did

Plus you can get the same bearings that the manufacturer uses from a bearing supplier. Fancy brand will still only be about £10 a bearing. Generic will be same thing without the name on it so long as you match the bearing standard and seal type. Assuming cartridge bearings.

Try simplybearings.co.uk

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Where can I get a 26inch 20mm front wheel?’ is closed to new replies.