Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Where can I find 10mm self tapping screws?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m needing to make up some ice tyres. I have a ‘selection box’ which had about 50 10mm self tappers in it. Most places I’ve seen only stock 13mm screws which are a bit too long. Were can I bulk buy 10mm self tapping screws?

bruneep

I used 13mm and dremmeled the point off.

Use the Flange head screws

scaredypants
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

B&Q are having a laugh. 25 screws delivered for £9.94.

Waderider
    Free Member

The screws wear down anyway. I’m just putting up with the wayward handling caused by over long screws on hardpack/tarmac sections. Lots of rolling resistance but quite easy to manage, you’ll only be going half the speed you normally do which makes it manageable. Thing is, once you hit mud, snow, or ice the rolling resistance drops away.

The screw will wear in to a sweet spot. And then wear away to nothing.

bruneep

B&Q are having a laugh. 25 screws delivered for £9.94.

‘kin hell 😯

I bought a 1000 13mm self drilling for screws for £8 today

epicyclo

If you’re doing this for the ‘Puffer, there’s one question you should ask the people who have used self tappers.

How many miles have they actually ridden with them?

‘Puffer, subzero, muddy slush, 3am, pitch black, puncture at the top, comes to mind.

druidh
    Free Member

bruneep – Member
    > B&Q are having a laugh. 25 screws delivered for £9.94.

‘kin hell
    I bought a 1000 13mm self drilling for screws for £8 today

Including delivery?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

If you’re doing this for the ‘Puffer, there’s one question you should ask the people who have used self tappers.

Yep its for the ‘puffer though I could have done with a pair tonight. They are for a mate thats riding, I’m his spannerman. I had assumed that the DIY ice tyre was viable. I’ll stick some gaffer tape over the screw heads.

Waderider
    Free Member

“How many miles have they actually ridden with them?”

Lots, in there second winter up in Scotland. About 245km according to my cycling journal.

Lined with an ultralightweight MTB slick with the beads cut off. I wouldn’t fancy the ‘puffer with gaffer tape.

Taff
    Free Member

In my B&Q there was a small section of self tapers and wood screwsthat were only a few quid for a 100. Didn’t see them there last time I went. I got 10mm though and think that I should have gone for 12mm and taken the spike off

daveells
    Free Member

Has anyone tried Wafer head screws? I think they might be a better option.
    If your interested in this kind of thing…..

epicyclo

Waderider – Member
    …Lined with an ultralightweight MTB slick with the beads cut off. I wouldn’t fancy the ‘puffer with gaffer tape.

That sounds like a pretty bulletproof way to do it. 🙂

bruneep

Including delivery?

No but I was passing the fixing shop anyhoo.

I’ll do 50 posted for £9.95 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Where can I find 10mm self tapping screws?’ is closed to new replies.