Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Where can I buy Isopropyl Alcohol Spray?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Does anyone know what kind of shop I could buy this stuff from? I need it preferably before Thursday so I can service my forks so would rather get it local than online. I’ve tried Halfords and they don’t have it. Thanks.

alexonabike

Maplin

woodsie
    Free Member

e bay…….type in isopropyl and there are loads of sellers….used mainly in medical industry!!!!

IA

maplin +1

Northwind

Maplin but it’s expensive.

swisstony
    Free Member

ebay for me

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks. I can get it online easy but not quickly enough. Thanks alex I’ll try Maplin or maybe another electronic shop if I can find one that does it nearby.

alexonabike

Don’t quote me on this, but I have heard that most ‘electronic contact cleaner’ is IPA based? Worth looking into as Halfords sell that.

jordie
    Free Member

Isopropyl from local chemist Plant sprayer/mister from garden center

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks Jordie. I was wondering if there’s products which are the same but just under a different name. I’ve got some spray on brake cleaner stuff which smells like alcohol but wouldn’t risk using it if it’s not the right thing.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I used surgical spirit from the chemist decanted into an old kitchen cleaner spray bottle.

Pretty much the same stuff as far as I could ascertain online.

Tebbalot
    Free Member

You could try getting surgical spirit, I got hold of a big bottle of it from boots. I don’t think it’s too different to Isopropyl alcohol, although I could be wrong; it’s definitely much cheaper.

I remember boots did sell Isopropyl too but it was behind the counter, and they certainly don’t make things easy for you to buy it!

I also remember hearing that you could get Isopropyl alcohol from locksmiths? So that might be worth a try.

roblane65
    Free Member

basically mate it’s brake cleaner,availible from any car shop inc halfords in spray form albeit a little diluted usally acetone free so doesn’t attack rubber or plastic.If youv’e got a TOOLTRADE branch near you can get a 400ml can for a few quid halfords are a bit pricey for stuff

7hz
    Free Member

Surgical spirit is an ethanol / methanol mix, like meths, but formulated for cleaning skin before incision etc.

You can get isopropyl alcohol from a chemist. Last time I got it, they ordered it in and it was there the next day, I got 500ml for about £6 I think.

Brake cleaner contains all kinds of things – http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/file/d04eb65fead21580e50857c44069cbb9 – wouldn’t put that anywhere near a bike TBH.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Personally I don’t bother with it on forks.

I just wipe all the components down with a cloth with a bit of fork oil on it.

roblane65
    Free Member

is that why bikes shops use it to clean your claipers and levers and bars once they’ve bleed your brakes ???????.acetone free so it doesn’t affect rubber or plastic.If it affected stuff how could use it to clean brakes ? BRAKE JUICE FORK JUICE posh names for brake cleaner and silicone spray so they can charge you twice the price

TimS
    Free Member

RS Components have it for £4.80 for a 400ml tin (and it’s buy one, get one free at the moment) if you’ve got an account there (or your company has).

c9tln
    Free Member

where are you located? if you’re near huddersfield i’ve got some you can have.

takisawa2

Boots Pharmacist told me they don’t sell it anymore.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Where can I buy Isopropyl Alcohol Spray?’ is closed to new replies.