Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)
  • Where are all the Secondhand Santa Cruz Hecklers?
  • hora
    Free Member

True- You did say that further up (its been a long week)- could you email or I can vice/versa?

binners

Aaawwwwwwwwwww… a happy ending!

Let the endless, and increasingly bad tempered haggling commence 😆

gordonb
    Free Member

Hora, you should have an email

khani
    Free Member

If you’re 6ft with a 33 leg won’t a 17 be too small? I’m 6ft with a 34 leg and can’t get smaller than a 19 if I want to get the seatpost high enough to pedal properly, on an 18 a 400 post is a couple of mm above the min insertion line..
    If you like the ‘in’ not ‘on’ the bike feel… Have you tried a 29er?…

uwe-r
    Free Member

Another bad move going down, way to small.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you’re 6ft with a 33 leg won’t a 17 be too small?

Nah perfect fit for him surely

Yours 5 ft 10 on an 18 ” Orange 5

rOcKeTdOg

6ft 2 on a large superlight here, 17″ will be “chuckable” though 🙂

root
    Free Member

Hang on a sec, who said anything about riding?

khani
    Free Member

I’d be ‘chucking’ it in a hedge halfway up the first hill..

st

I’m 6’1″ with a 33″ inside leg and until recently ride a large (19″) Heckler which was bob on. Anything smaller would have been too small. Especially as they have slightly short (could be read as fun and maneuverable) top tube.

wwaswas

I’m 6’1″ with a 33″ inside leg and until recently ride a large (19″) Heckler which was bob on. Anything smaller would have been too small.

You’re talking to hora’s hand.

michaelbowden

My mate id 5’8″ and finds his medium just about right. So it sounds perfect for Hora too 🙄

binners

I bought a medium Santa Cruz chameleon off Hora. Size-wise it was perfect for me. I’m considerably smaller than Hora

Actually… can I have first dibs in next week 😀

uwe-r
    Free Member

All yours binners, I am 5’10 so to small for me!

mickolas
    Free Member

these threads are amazing. Will hora really buy a 17″ frame – tune in next week when the haggling’s done.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I had a medium, it was too small at 5.9. Dinky top tubes ruined the heckler. Felt it was to steep as well.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Can’t believe a superlight is going to be preferable to a 5-spot. When I back-to-back tested against a trance-x and a 2009 5-spot the superlight was rejected very early on – nice geometry but pedalling efficiency was way down – unless you like jiggling the pro-pedal lever I suppose.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t normally get involved in these threads but do enjoy reading them…

Anyhow, I do kind of get what Hora means about aesthetics; some bikes look poo in bigger sizes. It’s one of the reasons I bought my Rune instead of the Covert. The large Covert looked like a gate, whereas the medium looked ace. According to the geometry chart, at just under six foot, I should be riding a medium Covert but the top tube was teeny and felt way too short.

Having ridden mediums fir years, I’m glad I’ve gone up a size. My Rune in large fits so much better than my SX Trail which makes riding it much nicer.

Hora, as your taller than me, you’d be mad to go for a medium Heckler…those top tubes are for umpa lumpas.

hora
    Free Member

But a medium Chameleon was almost religious. Think and it’d already be turning that way. A large cham felt like a collection of low grade alu by comparison. Heretic!

SC have always been shorter on TT’s? The Meta I like its toptube but then why but a larger frames seat tube to it?

Lapierre did the same….slapped a 20inch seat tube to a decent top tube….small wonder they then changed it in recent years

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m shorter than you and my large Chameleon was one of those bikes that I wish I had never sold…it just did everything so well. I tried a medium, but it was so diddy there was no way that I’d be able to pedal it for any amount of time. Great fun for mucking about on but I wouldn’t have wanted to cover any distance on it.

SC have always had tiny top tubes although newer bikes like the Bronson have got longer.

My large Rune has a 24 inch top tube which feels spot on for me with a 50mm stem. It’s not quite as manoeuvrable as my medium SX in the tighter stuff due to the long wheel base and slack angles but it feels better on everything else.

Some of the smaller companies do seem to be adding longer top tubes at last.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m 5:10 & ride a 12″ singlespeed and loved my 13″ trail bike.

saracendan

I’m drunk but personally love hora’s threads. He is to stw what Jeremy Kyle is to the unemployed ( ie a god and constant source of entertainment!)

hora
    Free Member

Tsk tsk. This isn’t is shoe-sizing its in the relms of preference.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Tsk tsk. This isn’t is shoe-sizing its in the relms of preference

and your preference seems to be for bikes that are too small for you which is possibly why you end up changing them do often? I’m 5’10 with a ~32″ inside leg, I had a 17″ Nomad which I liked (from a fit perspective) but I know I like (not think I like) smaller frames; the Nomad was replaced with a 16″ Alpine 160 which has the same top tube length. I’ve had the Alpine 2 years and would only change it for something completely different for novelty value (eg. go from ~35lb tank to 25lb carbon whippety FS), its the best bike Ive owned and fits me like the proverbial glove, but most people my size would choose or recommend an 18″ Orange.

IIRC Santa Cruz’s own size guide put 5’10 at the very top of range for a medium/17″, you may have liked the chameleon but as it was a HT other factors might have come into play in how your perceived it?

scruff
    Free Member

To all interested parties, have a peek in the classifieds. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

IIRC Santa Cruz’s own size guide put 5’10 at the very top of range for a medium/17″, you may have liked the chameleon but as it was a HT other factors might have come into play in how your perceived it?

The height chart is a give in to the fact that people want to buy a bike without trying it. The only real way to tell is to get on a bike and ride it.

Anyway Med heckler white 09 available collection or you courier from Tasmania 🙂

binners

HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    You really couldn’t make it up! 😀

And so Hora closes in on his lifes goal. To own every single Blur 4X that has ever rolled off the Santa Cruz production line. This one – number 378 – like the rest, is the wrong size too. The reason he shouldn’t buy it is actually clearly stated in the listing! Genius!!!! 😆

tomhoward

Could just be a mail complementing the sellers choice of fence paint?

😆

AlexSimon

but… but… I give up

gordonb
    Free Member

Not sure if Hora is still interested, but check out the classifieds

hora
    Free Member

Wow thats shiny. Rubbed it down with GT85 by any chance? 😉

That cable-rub etc plus sc’s famous pisspoor paint led me to that thought 😀

Binners my favourite size SC is medium. It just works Unlike the gates some folk ride..

gordonb
    Free Member

Hora, hardly gonna try to sell it with dog eggs on it, am I??? 😀

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

That’s my old Blur 4X frame. A little part of me will die if Hora ends up owning it.

Still it will give everyone on here a good laugh when we hear the same old phrases; “i’m sat on it, rather than in it” “the front end feels like it’s tucking in on me” “I prefer a chuckable small bike” etc.

Isn’t he a self confessed wobbler anyway? By chuckable, I assume he means easier to chuck in the back of a car?

Maybe he needs to spend a bit more time learning to ride, rather than mincing round & blaming everything but the bit on top 😉

hora
    Free Member

Hob nob. You cant have ridden it more than tame blue runs. It looks STILL in mint condition now whereas my first blur4x was ex-Beaumonts and showed alot of riding scars/use. SC finish including ano wears. I know this from also owning a anodised santa cruz and actually riding it as a only bike week in week out.

Maybe you babied it? Saved your rough-housing for the keyboard?

Are you one of the idiots that goes on mlehworld btw?

I might own a bike for 3months or two years but boy they are used.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Touchy!

Well, funnily enough it never got much use, as I was too busy racing DH at the time.

When I did start riding it, it took about a week for me to realise it was far too small for me.

I ride a bike that fits me properly. Maybe you should try it? Might make you wobble a bit less?

I’ll be the one pretending to ride down the full Mega track tomorrow, practicing for the race at the weekend.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It’s funny the whole.. ‘gate’ versus ‘too small’ bike thing.

I think I’m with Benny Hill on this one, in that I’ll happily take a bike that is ‘too small’ over something ‘that fits’. My Ibis Tranny is a 17 inch / ‘medium’, which should be wayyyy too small for my 5’10” ass, yet it just works. It’s like riding an overgrown carbon BMX, flickable, chuckable and whippy, it’s freakin’ awesumz.. 😀

I can’t get my head around the whole ‘gate-for-a-bike’ thing that seems to have taken vogue recently. I’ve even ridden them. They still feel like gates.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hora, as you know, my old 4X was a medium and for me, at 5’8″ was borderline being too short in the TT with a 70mm stem.

hora
    Free Member

Confused. So you bought a bike/frame and didnt use it? Then slag someone off for riding their bikes.

Mega? You’ve lost me. If you got a tattoo of an anchor does that make you a sailor?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yeah, like I said, too busy racing DH.

Mega? That would have been in reference to your post before you edited it…

Keep going though, it’s funny.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Epic camel’s foot there Binners!

*doffs cap* “chapeau” etc

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Where are all the Secondhand Santa Cruz Hecklers?’ is closed to new replies.