Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 150 total)
  • Where are all the Secondhand Santa Cruz Hecklers?
  • flange
    Free Member

The seller then thinks ‘ah, going cold- maybe I should ping him as hes cooling on price’?…

Seriously? Its selling a bike, not closing a deal on some mega corp.

As for knowing the difference on a seat tube by an inch, are you really a good enough rider to notice? Just put your seat down a bit for gods sake. You don’t half spout some sh1t…

hora
    Free Member

Seriously? Its selling a bike, not closing a deal on some mega corp.

I’ve always been like this when buying. Selling I tend to be easy going/a soft-touch.

scruff
    Free Member

Hora, you are to the classifieds what TJ was to any helmet debate.

Toasty

I can’t get my head round a 20inch seat tube. A large should be 18.5/19 as a very max IMO.

Large was 500mm, or 19.68 inches.

You seriously couldn’t get on with it because the seat tube was 17 millimeters longer than you felt it should be?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The idea is to keep stepping up if possible

…which is why your’e looking at buying a 4year old bike youv’e previously owned. There was apparently nothing wrong with the Heckler you had so you assumed replacing it would be an upgrade how, exactly? Gawd bless you mark, you take some stick in here but it wouldn’t be the same without you.

rOcKeTdOg

You seriously couldn’t get on with it because the seat tube was 17 millimeters longer than you felt it should be?

You couldn’t make it up 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

My heart beats faster when a Hora “what bike for” thread pops up. 😆

timber

Save me the hassle of stripping my bike down, buying it back because it’s ‘not how you remembered it’ and rebuilding it, by just stuffing £150 in my paypal 😉

Actually, you wouldn’t want mine, it’s a mere medium with a vetereran coil shock.

Drac

I have a Heckler but it’s not for sale.

hora
    Free Member

Re- the Commencal, its abit more than the 20inch seat tube. Its also comes down to when you are sat on it you don’t feel like you are sit in it/just perched ontop. Not overly bad like some bikes I’ve had. I guess with most SC’s I’ve had or ridden you feel sat with/in it.

Toasty

Used to run my suspension so soft on mine, I felt like I was underneath it most of the time 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

hora the “sat on” rather than “sat in” is bollox and in your head isn’t it, you like many, read far to many reviews and get the journalistic bollox into your head!
    The fell you describe tho may be exacerbated by the fact that you persevere with frames that are too small like the desire for a 16″ 456 frame!

Get a bike and go see Jedi or similar and learn to ride that bike better – far easier and cheaper than swapping bikes all the time (I am nearly cured and had the same bike for 7 months!!)

hora
    Free Member

Rob, I go through a small flurry of swapsy’s on frames but then find a stable one that I’m happy with for a while- i.e. I had a Enduro frame recently for 18mnths upto Feb-time this year.

The issue is you can’t really test ride sale/discounted/discontinued frames before you buy them (or unless your mate already rides one) so you have to go on previous reviews/bollocks on the web. I’ll find one I like again soon…then get bored after 18months-2yrs 8)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I have some sympathy with Hora (OMG, did I just say that?!!!)

I’m >6’2″ with long legs.

I had a 2009 Meta 5 in Large. Standard 350 mm seatpost was too short. Fitted a 410mm one which was fine at min insertion but not surprisingly I felt perched on top of the bike.
    When the frame snapped (as they did), I took the opportunity to increase the frame size to XL with the warranty replacement. The bike now felt totally different but was more like a barge, even with a 50mm stem.

I bought a 2011 20″ Five and ran both this and the XL Meta 5 back-to-back for a couple of months to see which I prefered.
    I found that I could get the Five over/round/through a lot more than I could the Meta 5.

I sold the Meta.

roverpig

It probably is all in your (and my) head, but I’ve also had that feeling of bikes not feeling right. I have a large Trance, which I keep meaning to sell. I don’t feel any attachment to the bike. However, when I get on it and go for a ride it just feels right (which is why I’ve never sold it). I’ve had other bikes that I really wanted to like and set them up so they were just like the Trance (I thought) but they still didn’t feel right. Not sure why. All my prejudices should have made them feel great and the Trance feel off, but so far it’s always been the other way round dammit.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Who is hora hurting swapping frames?

It’s his money, his choice. Not sure why some of you react like you do to him.

flange
    Free Member

WEll its not so much him swapping out frames, just his complaints about stuff not feeling right because he buys stuff waaaay too small for him or just comes out with utter rubbish

Hora – that Orange Blood is not the right frame for you, its too small

binners

2 questions:

1. Over the last 5 years, how many hours days Weeks months have you spent stripping down and rebuilding different bikes?*
    2. Over the last 5 years, how many hours minutes have you spent riding those different bikes?

* for this exercise, we’ll exclude the time taken photographing them, putting them on ebay and the classifieds, and all the haggling, bickering , paypal disputes and warranty claims thereafter, which will doubtless add another few months 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not sure why some of you react like you do to him.

you are new here then?

He is hurting no one with his constant quest for the perfect bike and he finds it often enough 😉

Personally i dont get why anyone would swap framse so much- can they not adapt- but each to their own

hora
    Free Member

Two things, modern mountain bikes and parts are a beaut/design that enables them to interface and strip down very very easily.

If you gave me an older mountain bike it’d be more work. Yes removing an old BB isn’t hard with the tools but hollowtech is childs play isn’t it?

Indexing gears- also soooo easy. If you run a full outer on the rear you can often get away with not bothering resetting at all if the outer is the right length for a new bike. Building/stripping is easy. My 4hour ride tomorrow in the beautiful sunny peaks will be fun Binners 😀

For all those that think ‘OMG/bike swapping’. I own one bike. I wont put anything in the two sheds that I own. Nothing. So I’m happy for one bike to live in the house.

On the Trance- I’ve not ridden one but I can see exactly what you mean. To the word. I look at them and think ‘hmmmm/looks like a high end Merida etc’ but then you hear rider feedback that both older/newer are supposed to be pretty darn-good.

binners

I thought you kept the bodies in the sheds?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes removing an old BB isn’t hard with the tools but hollowtech is childs play isn’t it?

you inset a tool you turn it the same way – it attaches either side – why is older “harder”

Did you mean removing the cranks from the BB- that requires a £6 tool and an allen key or self extracting bolts

wwaswas

Junkyard – it’s no good coming on a hora thread with a “let’s apply logic to the situation” attitude.

I find it best just to revel in the absurdity.

br
    Free Member

I have some sympathy with Hora (OMG, did I just say that?!!!)

Except you, like me, buys a frame that fits their height/leg-length etc – rather than worrying what it looks like and what other people think.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I wont put anything in the two sheds that I own. Nothing. So I’m happy for one bike to live in the house.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjS3gzHetA[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junkyard – it’s no good coming on a hora thread with a “let’s apply logic to the situation” attitude.

I find it best just to revel in the absurdity.

Sorry what was I thinking of 😳

binners

wwaswas

the Nora Batty socks and boots are oddly alluring 😉

hora
    Free Member

Except you, like me, buys a frame that fits their height/leg-length etc – rather than worrying what it looks like and what other people think.

So with a 33inside leg I should go ‘big’ then? Christ, sweet Jesus of Nazareth (etc).

rOcKeTdOg

If big = large, then yes

hora
    Free Member

But the above was referring to XL that you were commenting against.

gordonb
    Free Member

That’s a shame, I’ve got a 17″ black frame about to go for sale, I think it’s a 2011 frame.

hora
    Free Member

Serious?

gordonb
    Free Member

Yup!

wwaswas

But it’s too small.

So he’ll take it 😉

gordonb
    Free Member

Cant remember how to post a piccy

Junkyard
    Free Member
    gordonb
    Free Member

when brand new:-

I can get a current photo tomorrow but it’s in the box my 5 frame came in.

oh an ta for the link to the help… bit stupid me!

hora
    Free Member

One of the early (07/08?) ones? Has the swing arm been replaced? markhoracekuk at yahoo.cooo.m 😀

gordonb
    Free Member

no mate, it’s a 2011 frame

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Where are all the Secondhand Santa Cruz Hecklers?’ is closed to new replies.