Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • where are all the pics of snow bound SUVs?
  • D0NK

It’s not just posing tho saxon, people get these behemoths for safety reasons. Honest. Now you could go with a normal car with 5star ncap safety rating or you could say “sod everyone else” and get something huge and heavy. Momentum, you canny change the laws of physics, etc, occupants are safe* everyone else out there is screwed.

*apart from hitting something immoveable of course, they forget about that, thats where your extra stars are worth more than your mass (I believe)

molgrips
    Free Member

If you plot car accident deaths against the size of the vehicle in which the dead people are travelling, there’s no correlation – at least in the US.

johnners
    Free Member

If you plot car accident deaths against the size of the vehicle in which the dead people are travelling, there’s no correlation – at least in the US.

How about if you plot deaths vs the size of vehicle that hit them?

molgrips
    Free Member

That would be included in the first plot. But I don’t have the data to hand for analysis 🙂

etchacan
    Free Member

Snow-bound? I think not… I love my Discovery, been dragging soft-roaders out of ditches and up hills for the past 10 days up here 🙂

Ballater – Gairnshiel Road (A939)

Lifer
    Free Member

Soft roader or Faux x 4?

Or are they different things (2wd Quashqui would be a faux x 4 for example)?

iDave
    Free Member

had to laugh at my ex wife being really surprised that her Quashqui was no good in the snow. she thought it was a ‘kind of jeep thing’

JonBurns
    Free Member

My x-trail is working well so far but not sure if it classes as a proper 4×4 or not. It has tinted windows, alloy wheels, 173 horses and in car gadgets. But also has sensible tyres a big load space for bikes and camping equipment or trips to the tip.

When looking at buying it the other options were a mondeo estate or zafira (yawn).

fisha
    Free Member

Having gone through owning series land rovers, 90’s, RR classics, Mk2 RR ( and having driven all the other models inbetween ) and now having a Mk3 RR, I have to admit that the best of the lot in terms of the snow/ice handling is the current bling bling Mk3 RR.

If you know how to drive with consideration in a 4×4 ( and i’ve done a fair amount of off-roading so know when wheels are slipping etc ), when you add the more modern traction control and DSC stuff the modern vehicle has, its surprised me at just how good its been in this weather.

Thats not to say it doesn’t lose grip / skip ( cause it does … a lot ) , just that when you do, its good at getting it back again when you ask it in the right manner, and it does so a wee bit better than the older landies … which were also very good.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Now you could go with a normal car with 5star ncap safety rating or you could say “sod everyone else” and get something huge and heavy. Momentum, you canny change the laws of physics, etc, occupants are safe* everyone else out there is screwed.

the high centre of gravity makes them more likely to roll and there is a higher risk of going over roadside barriers (central reservation etc)

you could say “sod everyone else” and get something huge and heavy.

also the main attitude of Volvo drivers in their little safety “bubble”

nickf
    Free Member

[post edited for swear filter avoidance. 2 day ban given. Mod]

This is perhaps a little more heavy-handed than necessary. Does anyone really want the forum to be as po-faced as this?

Time for a self-imposed break, I feel.

matt_outandabout

pfffft. Yaris and snow chains = excellent way to navigate 8miles of un ploughed, un-gritted, ice and snow rutted highland road. Even helped pull a Navara out of a dodgy position half in a didtch yesterday…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Yaris? Strange you should mention that – I stopped to help a Yaris in Perthshire to offer to push. He nearly went mental: something about plastic panels. I left him to it. Was he serious?

Northwind

I’ll see if my brother got any pics of him towing a stuck landy up an icy hill last monday, with his combi van :mrgreen:

ski – Member

“They seem to patrol round these parts in packs as soon as the snow comes.”

Some of them actually do, offroad clubs and other folks with actual offroaders often support the emergency services in bad weather as well as just being generally helpful. OK you can ask what their motivation is, is it purely selfless etc but who cares, if it means you get pulled out of a ditch? It’s a cool thing to do regardless.

That said, the only road vehicle moving around my end of edinburgh yesterday was a 2-wheeled Northwindmobile and it passed all manner of 4x4s, which had the ability to drive over snow but not over the car in front.

matt_outandabout

And round here, all the landys get up the hills fine. Just try stopping 2.5t+ as they slide down the other side…

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Find the photo on here of the X5 (or was it a Cayenne?) stuck on the Quantocks last year – that made me so happy!

druidh
    Free Member

Why hasn’t WCA posted on this thread yet – no camera??

polarisandy
    Free Member

eth3er
    Free Member

That picture gives me the smilies.

mrchrispy

that’s what I’m talking about 😀

samuri
    Free Member

I’m a bit worried. If it’s really snowy and I can afford a 4×4, what does it mean if I don’t buy one?

I’m a bit thick, right?

rs
    Free Member

I think thats very considerate parking for a BMW driver, not blocking the road at all 🙂

seven
    Free Member

no 4x4s but I just liked the quantity of abandoned cars

Snow Dec 2010-14 by jake474, on Flickr

and just at the same point

Snow Dec 2010-11 by jake474, on Flickr

Go fella 🙂

scraprider
    Free Member

4×4 responce is a volentry thing they operate all over the uk, here in exeter last year when it snowed and people couldnt get up or down haldon hill they helped ferry stranded people to exeter race course , they also help nurses etc got to old and disabled people, mostly club members etc, helping out you know when other people need help.

mrchrispy

there are 4×4’s and there are these idiots.
    a real 4×4 and a 1/2 decent driver are worth their weight in gold in these conditions

ahwiles
    Free Member

4×4’s are an easy target for gits like me to point and laugh at when a combination of road tyres + winter weather + inconsiderate driving dumps them in a hedge, but i’d really like a Discovery, i know they’re not brilliant, but i got to drive one around the highlands for a day – it was ace!

benz
    Free Member

TBH I find my wifes 1.5dci Qashqai surprisingly ok in the snow…up to a point.

However, it does have 4 Nokian winter grips on it….and I also recognise that it is only a Golf sized car with the benefit of some more ground clearance so drive accordingly.

I’d rather have it in this weather than the X5 with 20″ wheels and summer biased tyres. I also could not afford nor justify an X5….

Trailseeker
    Free Member

This was on the Quantocks earlier this year

cranberry
    Free Member
    z1ppy

Then towed an X5 out – tried to take a pic but the owner went ballistic! Packed up my tow rope – gave him the finger and drove off leaving him there without a word.

What can I say, this brought a smile to my face 😆

When my 4×4 was actually driveable a couple of days back, an LDV coal delivery pick-up got stuck sideways trying to turn round on our road, which was a sheet of ice.

I managed to pull him completely round so he was facing in the right direction and get going.

This with road tyres (although not low profiles) and the assistance of a low ratio box.

5AM
    Free Member

Well my brother last week when it was bad further south was doing voluntary work by going out to places normal cars couldn’t get to, so that elderly etc could make hospital appointments they had waited months for.
    Was the first time he had ever really used the car in anger, but normally it wouldn’t be used off-road.
    He just saw an appeal on the news and called the helpline.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

@etchacan – what tyres do you have on there? I just got a Disco 4 and I love it, but I think I need some different tyres for winter.

smartay

People across the road have an X5 and one of those tall golf/suv types, dropped their kids of at school the other day in my trusty Primera!!They couldn’t get of their drives, but their again they didn’t make any attempt to clear snow/ice either
    The golf thing is even parked with the front wheels over the crest of their drive so it can get out.
    Really what is the point in these vehicles

Still miss my Disco though

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Blimey – the swear avoidance thing has got a bit heavy handed.

Clubber – of course I wasn’t being serious you tool (oooh hang on – another ban for saying “tool?”)!

Just before the snow really hit:

It’s been superb in these conditions. Starting to miss the BM a bit though – not been moved for over two weeks!

Now I’ve proof read my post and there appears to be NO swearing.

zokes
    Free Member

Now I’ve proof read my post and there appears to be NO swearing.

However, you have made a comment on forum moderation…

Don’t worry, we’ll keep your seat warm 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I’ll make another – posts have been closed and people banned for very very lame reason recently.

I have a strong suspicion as to why this is happening. Heavy handed moderation ruins forums.

End of.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I have a strong suspicion as to why this is happening.

Oooh! Do tell!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Is it to prevent offensive language on the forum perhaps?

robdob
    Free Member

It is happening because it’s their forum. If you don’t like it you can go elsewhere.
    I personally like the stricter approach and long may it continue. As I’ve said before if you feel the need to type swearwords then you should be learning some new words to express yourself properly.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘where are all the pics of snow bound SUVs?’ is closed to new replies.