Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • When your daughter grows up…
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

..what a **** scary time it becomes!
    She at 14 has been out for dinner with her friends tonight, adult drop off and pick up. I clearly don’t remember doing anything like that at 14 with my mates. Anyway it came to 9.30 and someone wasn’t answering the phone, q miserable dad being miserable 😳

chewkw
    Free Member

Girls don’t go out alone in the far east. 🙄

Not answering calls means she would be grounded for a very long time.

MoreCashThanDash

Don’t read the Adam Johnston thread…. 😕

LittleMissMC is 9. I fear the difficult years are fast approaching.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mrs ws has got the hump too due to my miserable ness. Is it too much to answer the pissing phone just to let dad know all is good?

loddrik
    Free Member

As a parent of 6 & 10 year old girls, I’ll watch this thread with interest…

theotherjonv

Don’t. Mine’s 12 going on 22. So far only a couple of daytime shopping trips with a friend while the mums sit in Starbucks and drink coffee while they report back in every hour or so, but it’s coming.

As are boys, make up, hormonal strops, and with a second daughter two years behind, ultimately me leaving home to live in my shed.

breadcrumb

My mate has a girl of that age. The stories he tells us!

As my gaffa at work put it-
    “If you’ve got a boy is only one cock to worry about, if it’s a girl it’s a 100!”

GrahamS

She at 14 has been out for dinner with her friends tonight

Ah that old gambit.

She’s probably seen more knobs than a locksmith. 😉

(GrahamS – parent of two young daughters who dreads them growing up!)

garage-dweller

I am struggling with the idea of my boys getting old enough to do things on their own in the next few years.

Dad’s of girls I don’t know how you do it. You have my admiration.

slackalice
    Free Member

Trust them, have faith in them and tell them that you do. Be honest. Along with the self-respect you’re nurturing within them, there is every chance the two-way street will remain so.

Same with the boys too.

scotroutes

My daughter is now 19. What’s the perceived problem?

eskay

My 15 year old son’s girlfriend has asked if he can stay the night at her house over the Easter holidays…..

Her parents are cool with it (have spoken to them).

I have had a frank conversation with him about the usual stuff and am inclined to let them carry on. What is the point of having a battle about it, they will do what they want to do. It is best to talk about these things and make sure everyone knows how to handle the situation.

My friend’s neice has already gone off of the rails (same age – 15) and is drinking and smoking cannabis regularly (plus has a 17 year old boyfriend) so a night with around his girlfriend’s (of almost 1 year) seems civilised!

I am sure though, when I was 15 I was out riding my Raleigh Bomber around the local trails, had never even heard of girls!

fatmax

Trust them, have faith in them and tell them that you do. Be honest. Along with the self-respect you’re nurturing within them, there is every chance the two-way street will remain so.

Good mate of mine has a 17 year old girl, and they seem to be on this path.

Her pals however…sending nude pics to lads at school on a nightly basis, one of them shagged a bloke in his 60’s at a recent works bash 😯

I’ve got a boy of 9 and a girl of 7…and I know she’s going to be the one that gives me sleepless nights!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I consider myself pretty level on the whole boy girl front. She has a great group of friends who (the middle class in me) all come from nice families who care about what they’re doing and where they are at any given time. However it’s just the whole phone thing, if I ring or text I expect to be furnished with a response within say 20/30 mins. It’s not like I text all the time seeing what she’s up to, and the excuse of I didn’t see it doesn’t wash when it would appear apple have now started to graft iphones on to children’s hands as they leave their mothers fanjita!

GrahamS

My daughter is now 19. What’s the perceived problem?

Post pics and we’ll tell you. 😆

marc
    Free Member

It’s great.

Mines 18, she invited my mates to her 18th (her call), we know most of her mates and have a bit of banter if we bump into them when they’re out.

Treat them as sensible people and remember; whatever they want to do, they will do whether you like it or not. Accept it and they won’t try to hide it from you.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Make them watch One Born Every Minute. Seriously. Mine (now 15) saw a few episodes a year ago and announced ‘well I’m not in any hurry to go through that Dad’.

Northwind

Yesterday, I got involved in a street fight where a girl of about 15 was going at a shopkeeper with a claw hammer, because he wouldn’t sell her drink. Thought this benchmark might cheer you up 😆

chewkw
    Free Member

My cousin became slightly uncontrolled or wild near the age of 15. By the time she was 18 she would spend nights away from home. Parents did not dare to say a word in fear of escalating her behaviour.

The result was her ended up with plenty of orgies, group gang-bang by so many men that she became very used. Her parents just shut off their pain. She was just short of being a pron star doing gang-bang scene tbh.

We felt very sorry for her parents but nothing could be done, and by the time she woke up from her orgies several years ago she was already in her late 30s and early 40s.

Fast forward to 2016, she is now in her late 40s alone, angry, angry that she missed the boat of having a family, angry that she could have got married, angry that she will remain spinster until her time is up.

Her father (my uncle) passed away nearly 3 weeks ago and the reality is really setting for her that she will be alone one day. 😮

BigJohn

If you did the ground work in the first 14 years setting her on the right path you’ve got nothing to worry about.
    If you didn’t it’s a bit late to start worrying.

GrahamS

By the time she was 18 she would spend nights away from home.

Oh the humanity. 🙄

chewkw
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member
    If you did the ground work in the first 14 years setting her on the right path you’ve got nothing to worry about.
    If you didn’t it’s a bit late to start worrying.

This one ^^^.

GrahamS – Member

By the time she was 18 she would spend nights away from home.

Oh the humanity. [/quote]
    Unlike you lot here when you got older the govt has to feed you, in other part of the world you rely on your family members and if you are alone you are more or less screwed.

Here you can survive being a pron star with your pension, over there you become an outcast once your reputation is known all over.

You can marry her if you want? You want?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Here you can survive being a pron star with your pension

Where do I sign up? 😆

nickc

Is the thread I need to turn off the chewkw blocker? 😆

Drac

2 daughters here one 13 next month who is nearly as tall as me, has my build and fair hair. No I’m not worried she’s a sensible lass. Booking a local pub for her and a group of friends to celebrate her birthday next month.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well 13 is a good time to start at the pub up there Drac.

Drac

Exactly, she’s a late starter for Alnwick.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Though I feel sorry for her, most of the good dark drinking dives seem to have gone…

vickypea
    Free Member

Teenagers going out for dinner – from what I’ve seen, this means making a racket in the restaurant, and getting up from the table every 2 minutes to go outside or to the toilets in groups.

Drac

Though I feel sorry for her, most of the good dark drinking dives seem to have gone…

They’re back but just been revamped, The Tavern has had a big refurb.

thegman67

I have two daughters 16 and 18 the youngest is a real handful

matt_outandabout

My 14, heading 15, year old boy is still more interested in riding bikes and climbing trees. Currently allergic to girls as anything other than friends. Long may that last.
    13 year old, into clothes, baking and hanging out with mates in various online games at present. Too shy to speak to girls unless a gamer or board gamer….
    10 year old, daft as a brush, a real friendly laid back boy. The girls love him already. I worry….

plus-one

I’ve got 3 daughters 24-22-and 20 oh the joyus times I had with them between 14-17 😯

I very quickly realised as mentioned the more you dig your heels in the more they rebel !!! It hurts and it’s a constant worry but you have to let them make their mistakes and they learn fast !!

Upshot now is I have a great relationship with my girls and they can talk to me about anything ..

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP been there, my three are now 27, 25 and 21. Not answering the phone ? My suggestion, have an agreed time for her to check in (she can set an alarm on her phone, eg 930-945) and she calls you. That gives her a little independence and you reassurance. Answering a call at a table in front of her friends isn’t cool for her really, try and understand what she’s thinking.

Good luck, it is indeed a tough and sadly risky time

Long may that last.

Except when he’s 30 and still living at home 😉

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Ours is now 23 and doing pretty well for herself, at 16 she announced one Fri evening she was off to Paris for the weekend, a bit stress inducing but you’ve just gotta let em do their thing.
    Over the last few years she’s traveled all over Europe and is a motivated and well adjusted young woman, can’t tell you how proud i am of her, but you never stop worrying.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Like Jamba says, or up the ante and explain that if she doesn’t answer her phone when you call her you will attend in person to,check she’s ok. In your pyjamas.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On a works leaving party we got a lift in with a senior boss, his son had just passed his test so was charged with being the driver. Arranged pick up was at 11pm,we finally rolled out about half 12 with the boss explaining he had spent long enough sat in car parks waiting that it was time for revenge…

philjunior
    Free Member

On a works leaving party we got a lift in with a senior boss, his son had just passed his test so was charged with being the driver. Arranged pick up was at 11pm,we finally rolled out about half 12 with the boss explaining he had spent long enough sat in car parks waiting that it was time for revenge…

Oh the fun I would’ve had in a car park if my parents had done that… Especially when they finally got around to getting a car with a decent handbrake.

I was always interested in girls as a youngster, didn’t have a clue what to do about it at 14 though despite having plenty of female friends!

Sandwich

Sometimes as a parent you have to make a nuisance of yourself. Miss Sandwich got in with a bad crowd at 17 and we had a horrible time ensuring she followed ‘house rules’. Nothing too taxing or nit-picking but she was having none of it. It culminated in a search one evening for a party by Mrs Sandwich. Once discovered she went in and asked for daughter to come home. Daughter says “mother I’m staying with my friends”. Shame say Mrs S I’ll have to stay too then. Mines a cuppa and is there a spare blanket for later?
    After 2 hours Ms S caved and came home and shortly after she stopped seeing the bad bunch. I owe a certain young man a beating for what he did to her while he was her boyfriend.

I let Mrs Sandwich do the fetching as I wasn’t mentally fit for the task. I did some refereeing between them when the “control-freak Mrs” raised her head. We now have a great relationship with our daughter and she admits that the intervention was the right thing.
    Good luck OP

dantsw13

My daughter is 11, going to secondary school in sept, which will involve a 30 min train journey each way. We have started the process of letting her explore in semi -controlled environments (walking to school with friends, train journeys in separate carriages, shopping trips with an hour unsupervised.)

I think she is pretty sensible, but they are so naively open to unscrupulous characters at that age, I do worry.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘When your daughter grows up…’ is closed to new replies.