Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • When you think you should have started riding again sooner after being ill…
  • aracer
    Free Member

and you realise it’s probably a good thing you didn’t.

I thought I was going to throw up I was coughing so much after riding today – that was really unpleasant. Fine whilst I was riding, but as soon as I started easing off at the end I felt it coming on.

So how soon does everybody else get back after a cold – do you ride through this horrible coughing bit?

ads678

It can go one of two ways, leave the cold in the gutter or makes it worse.

DrP

Isn’t “get to A+E” the usual answer here? 😉

DrP

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tazzymtb

Did the same thing last night and coughed so hard I puked twice. Not a happy bunny its really buggering up my training at the moment

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve been off the bike for a month now with an ongoing cold/virus. Sometimes I try and ride and see what happens but it’s always a bit hit or miss wether it makes me better or ends up in a chest infection, with the crap/cold weather I’ve erred on the side of caution this time. It’s very frustrating though and my fitness is going to be shot when I get going again.

lerk
    Free Member

I’m just getting started again after three months of whooping cough – I thought I’d left the coughing till I pass out thing behind until coughing whilst riding!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Just been to the gym, thought I’d try a bit of gentle rowing and bodyweight exercises , just to ease myself back into some training. It didn’t go well at all, several coughing fits, breathlessness and sweated like I was in a sauna. Looks like more time off needed. 🙁

hora
    Free Member

I buggered my shoulder in July. SLAP/Bursitis and only now am I lifting 1kg weights. On a two week training course I had to do one arm pressups.

On rides I can’t lift the front or pump the forks

Don’t push it OP it could help you resent your stressbusting hobby

aracer
    Free Member

3 weeks on, my first ride*. I’m now thinking that if anything I could have got out a bit sooner, but in a way I’m also glad I didn’t risk it and put myself back again. Because I did definitely set myself back after that ride – was much worse for several days, and it’s taken ages (well 3 weeks I suppose) to recover. Was a bit worried during the ride as my throat felt sore and a bit of coughing after, but totally different to last time.

Thanks for the kind words, hora, and I hope everybody else is recovering too.

* 2nd ride in 5 weeks, and I’d only done 2 or 3 lots of exercise since Xmas after being ill since the middle of December

jimdubleyou

I’m supposed to be doing this on Sunday

https://www.evanscycles.com/evans-cycles-gatwick-sportive-cross-entry-21st-february-2016-EV261693

Can’t see it happening having been in my sick bed for 2 out of the last 4 days so if anybody wants to impersonate me on the day you’re welcome to it.

kcal

haven’t been on bike for about 5 weeks – first motivation went (too much on at work); then cold/cough that knocked me for six; then a bump on the elbow when I fell on ice went ballistic inflammation/infected and that knocked me out again.

Only now feel vaguely human again..

kristoff
    Free Member

Been off the bike since 16th January with a broken pubic rami, only recently been able to gently spin my legs on the turbo trainer, absolutely hating it.

sleigh62
    Free Member

Similar here … had that orible cold/cough thing for a couple of weeks … So feeling a bit better I
    thought I’d give cwmcarn a go again as I haven’t ridden the twrch trail for years.

Bl**dy hell! …. Had to stop about 8 times before I made it to the top …. wheezing away like I’m a 40 a day’er.

Got there in the end and the down part was as good as I remembered … If a little bare now … still, lack of trees meant extra oxygen and boy did I need it!!! It’s amazing what a simple cough/cold does to you.

thepurist

After bad experience of the ‘too much too soon’ approach I’m now at the opposite extreme, having become quite self protective and risk averse lately. So after my Xmas flu I was really careful to keep my efforts within what felt comfortable then sack it off, initially after about 25 mins.

Trouble is I’m now wussing out of stuff (like not being set up to commute tomorrow because of the risk of ice) then getting fed up because I’m not doing stuff and comfort eating too cheer myself up then beating myself up because I’m putting on weight. I hate my mind.

dpfr

Two weeks grounded now, and 2 kg heavier. Nearly better but persistent sinusitis and last time I tried exercise too soon I flattened myself for a couple of weeks. So very frustrated and grumpy, but resisting the temptation.

aracer
    Free Member

Tell me about it. Though I’m going to try and remember the positive post ride vibes I’m feeling now next time I CBA – I’m kind of surprised I made it out given how I was feeling this morning.

What I didn’t add to the bit at the end is that in mid December when I first got ill I’d only been riding (and kayaking) again for about 3 weeks, and taking it pretty easy following a hernia op in September. Strava tells me today is my 8th lot of exercise in almost 5 months (though I think there were a couple of sessions I didn’t record, and I’ve also been out messing around on a unicycle a few times)! Struggling to fit in trousers – I’ve only got one pair without holes I fit in – and loath to buy new ones, when I know I should drop a waist size given a few weeks of health.

Bregante

I’ve been off the bike since mid January with a torn tendon and fracture of the patellar. I’m not in any actual pain now although still using crutches outdoors in case it gives way. I was at the consultants yesterday and fully expected him to agree to me doing some very light spinning on the Turbo to start building the leg muscle up (he has given me other leg exercises to do).

Nope. Nothing. Not a bloody sausage until Mid April at the earliest. 👿

Somebody tell me that he was a fraud and a charlatan please so that I can at least sit on a stationary bike for a bit……

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘When you think you should have started riding again sooner after being ill…’ is closed to new replies.