• This topic has 61 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • When you reach a certain level of fitness, is it just a weight thing for climbs?
  • weeksy

Just a bit of random musings…

I was noticing last night when riding up Butser, one of the guys from the local kids club was out too, he set off at the same time as my 2nd ride up it… But soon left me for dead..

Now, i think i’m not too shabby on the bike, but he was GONE…

So my question is… Lets assume he weighs 70kg and i weigh 94kg, is it a massive factor…? Is there a calculation on for example a 10 minute consistent climb at a set power, how much quicker you’d be if you weighed say 25% less for example. OK, i accept it’s an extreme figure… but it may help put into context for me easier if we use extremes.

I totally accept he’s faster than me because he’s fitter… don’t get me wrong there….

But i guess the question is… If we were equal weights at 70kg, how far behind would i expect to be ?

joebristol

I don’t know what the specifics are but if you take a road sprinter and a road climber – both are more than fit enough to complete the tour de France in a good time – but to go up hill quickest you need to look like you haven’t eaten in months it would seem.

weeksy

JonV, that’s an awesome if slightly baffling answer…

The figures near the bottom where Rider B is 30s quicker on the 18min climb for the same power and 5kg lighter implies that say I was 20kg lighter and same power as myself over a 10 minute climb, i’d expect to be 1min 30 give or take quicker…

fifeandy
    Free Member

Depends on the gradient and surface, but on a steep smooth climb it really is ALL about the weight.
    I did Col de la Bonette 2 years ago and put an hour into a guy with an FTP 60W higher than mine.

Edit: I can’t find the link, but there was a coach did a study with one of his riders in training and found ~1min per kg on alpe d’huez

theotherjonv

Most of it is about the power needed to ride at the same speed (so wind / rolling resistance cancel out) up different gradients – in short every 3.5-4% of gradient increases the effort by a factor – so if it takes you 200W to climb a 5% gradient at speed X, to climb an 8.5-9% gradient at the same speed would take 400W, or a 13% gradient takes 600W – which is out of the relams of most of us for any period above a few seconds.

But there is also the calculations in there for weight, albeit he only does it for 5kg difference, you could plug in 10 or 15 easily enough.

And then you have the fact that when climbing you’re probably ekeing out effort to stay at or under your FTP (unless smashing out intervals, or racing to stay with a group on a climb, etc.) so even a few w extra to compensate the w/kg equation will put you over FTP and that becomes ‘exponentially’ harder to maintain beyond a short period.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think it’s all about weight too. At my lightest last year 70kgs, I was fastest I’ve ever been up some of local South Downs hills, mind I did target them to get the best results. I’ve 7 hills I train on, 6 of them are gits if you hit them hard, during a 4 month period of both trying to loose weight and still maintain strength I noticed jumps in time/distance/effort.. I started out fit though, so just targeted loosing weight and effectively sprinting up hills. I vommed many times during Feb/Mar/April last year, but you have to put the effort in.

I’m now back to 78kgs and feeling far better for it.

I am a rouleur by nature, so targeting hills like i did was a bit alien and a task I’ll probably not do again for some time.

weeksy

Yeah i get that, i get the fact that at the lower weight fatigue may play less of a factor etc… I was not thinking in complete and utter detail really, just simply put, if person A rode up the hill today and then rode up it tomorrow with a 20kg backpack, assuming all things equal, how much slower would he be… The answer seems to be… quite a bit on say a 10 min hill.
    Obviously Butser for example is a ‘gearing’ thing or a difficulty at a couple of bits as your stem is nearly hitting you in the face on pedal strokes…. But was more generic thinking than a particular climb.

It makes me think really as i’ve dropped some weight from myself over the course of the last 6-7 months, but looking at my power outputs in Zwift etc i’m not really finding much in the way of gains if at all now. So to make the next step within myself speed wise, i either need to make more power, or less weight. Clearly, neither are easy for me… but i think realistically, less weight is potentially easier than more power.

weeksy

I am a rouleur by nature, so targeting hills like i did was a bit alien and a task I’ll probably not do again for some time.

I think i’d likely put myself into that context, i’m a big lad and liekly to always be fairly big, i don’t do the climbing with ease compared to the lightweights, but i can stick a decent chunk of power down and maintain it for a reasonable time.. Sprinting isn’t my forte, i’m just a plodder really.

angeldust
    Free Member

Surely it’s power to weight ratio that’s important. If you are assuming fitness=power (fitness is key to sustaining power, that’s for sure)and your fitness improvement has plateaued, then I guess weight is going to help. I doubt you have really reached the peak of possible human performance though, so both power and weight can be improved (then there’s technique etc)…..

weeksy

I doubt you have really reached the peak of possible human performance though

Of that there’s no doubt 🙂

But things like power get harder as we age, technique, again something that’s not necessarily that easy to improve, especially from a climbing context… So decreasing weight is potentially the simplest way of looking at the scenario for a likely solution.

scaredypants

I doubt you have really reached the peak of possible human performance though

Have you any idea who you’re talking to ?! I refer the honourable gentleman/lady to weeksys epic zpalmares

Kryton57

Its also about physiology e.g. the ration of fast twitch vs slow twitch. As an example, two riders of the same power and the same weight and same fitness will not necessarily climb at the same speed.

The set of fibres need to excel at climbing is different for those needed to put power out on the flat. Explained here:

Climbing vs time-trialling: same effort, different power output

So you need to find out where your strengths and weakness lie, what your physiology is etc. This last Giro is a classic – Quintana pulling away on climbing but Doumilin TT’ing his way to success.

scotroutes

It does seem to make a huge difference, and if you think about how much effort has gone into making lighter bikes for climbing, then a few kilos off your body (assuming you retain power) will make life a lot easier/faster. Of course, you then lack the weight required for a fast descent 🙂

weeksy

Kryton57 – Member

Its also about physiology e.g. the ration of fast twitch vs slow twitch. As an example, two riders of the same power and the same weight and same fitness will not necessarily climb at the same speed.

The set of fibres need to excel at climbing is different for those needed to put power out on the flat. Explained here:

Climbing vs time-trialling: same effort, different power output

So you need to find out where your strengths and weakness lie, what your physiology is etc. This last Giro is a classic – Quintana pulling away on climbing but Doumilin TT’ing his way to success.

Of course… but in the context of the question we’re not talking 2 different riders, or 2 different techniques.

I was thinking more in the context of 1 particular rider, 2 different weights, but nothing else changing apart from the weight.

Obviously there’s all the other factors to consider, even things like tyres, pressure, riding gear, etc etc…. But wasn’t quite wanting that level of answer.

kerley
    Free Member

Weight is clearly a factor but how hard were you trying versus how hard was he trying?

I typically leave other riders behind on climbs but I have ridden mostly fixed gear for last 15 years so have a different approach to climbs. I am probably not fitter than those I leave behind but I have no option than to put more effort in to keep to a speed I can pedal at whereas they will typically change down through their gears getting slower as they do so.
    These are the same riders that will then pass me when on the flat as I am topping out at 20mph…

Kryton57

Sorry Weeksy I misunderstood.

So my question is… Lets assume he weighs 70kg and i weigh 94kg, is it a massive factor…? Is there a calculation on for example a 10 minute consistent climb at a set power, how much quicker you’d be if you weighed say 25% less for example

So I think there is a calculation – isn’t it 1kg=1min per 1000ft of climbing?

jameso

20kg or more difference, that’s huge. If 2 riders of equal power have that much weight difference I’d expect an almost instant gap opening and growing on any climb.

I notice how much better I climb when dropping just 4-5% off my average weight. So much so that I barely care what my bike weighs, a kilo there makes so little difference unless I’m lean and fit. Training with 3-4kg weight on the bike seems to help as you never escape the added effort needed but I could just push a bigger gear for much of the same effect.

weeksy

Weight is clearly a factor but how hard were you trying versus how hard was he trying?

Bloody hard for myself, by the way he was panting…. bloody hard 😉

ferrals
    Free Member

This thread depresses me as I know I am about 5kg heavier than I should be 🙁

ah well, I don’t have any hilly races left anyway.

weeksy

p.s no need for apologies or even moving slightly off context, it’s all interesting bike discussions on a bike website, whether it holds completely true to the question or not 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

So I think there is a calculation – isn’t it 1kg=1min per 1000ft[b]m[/b] of climbing?

Kryton57

This thread depresses me as I know I am about 5kg heavier than I should be

ah well, I don’t have any hilly races left anyway.

Ha ha me too Ferrals – off the bike time has allowed me to enjoyed a few too many curries/beers/belgian buns…

weeksy

It came up as i was chatting to Yak on Sunday and i think he’s 65kg he said… i’m 93-95kg…. which is obviously a MASSIVE difference.

jonba
    Free Member

It does depend a lot on weight. Most climbers look to improve their power to weight ratio. You can get more power and begin to look like a track sprinter but it will also increase weight so you won’t get any faster. Equally if you don’t eat properly your weight will drop but so will your power.

You would also want to consider how long you can sustain your power output. Sprinters only put out bursts measured in seconds. In thuk most climbs are short and punchy so you need to be able to sustain your effort for a few minutes. Head to the alps and the climbs go on for miles so you put out less power but for longer. Think spring classics riders like Sagan vs. Grand Tour climbers like Quintana.

There are websites out there that will let you work out how much of a difference weight makes. As a competitive hill climber I do train to be fast on a hill for 4-5 minutes. However, the vast majority of my performance gains come from losing weight (off me) in the run up to the hill climb season. Normally try to get sub 70kg which is still pretty big for a pure climber but I can sustain a high power output for the required time unlike the skinny yoof.

legend
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    I think i’d likely put myself into that context, i’m a big lad and liekly to always be fairly big, i don’t do the climbing with ease compared to the lightweights, but i can stick a decent chunk of power down and maintain it for a reasonable time.. Sprinting isn’t my forte, i’m just a plodder really.

“If you’re not and climber and you’re not a sprinter, you’re a domestique.”

andysredmini
    Free Member

Joking aside why don’t you go and try the same climb twice with some added weight on the second run? Have a good rest in between and if you have a power meter then hold the same power or the same heart rate with a hr monitor. Won’t be the most accurate experiment but would be interesting to try.

I think a lot of hill climbing comes down to pacing. Some of my fastest times have been set when not trying. Last week for instance I rode a local steep climb which is about 5 mins long. I sat down and easily spun up it without any intentions of going fast and I was only 13s off my best on which I gave it everything and felt sick by the end.

legend
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/power-profiling/

Can’t find a single mention of climbing in that article?

Kryton57

Weeksy races. I felt it may be a useful read. I know this thread is about climbing but should that then translate into Weeksy’s racing its worth him know where he should apply his effort.

If not feel free to ignore it.

weeksy

Joking aside why don’t you go and try the same climb twice with some added weight on the second run? Have a good rest in between and if you have a power meter then hold the same power or the same heart rate with a hr monitor. Won’t be the most accurate experiment but would be interesting to try.

Indeed it would…. I don’t have a PM, but i have a HRM so i could do it via HR. Won’t have time this week, but when i get back from holidays i may well have a try.

trailwagger
    Free Member
    weeksy

Using Trailwaggers is quite eye opening.

From a Zwift perspective i’m a (pretty much ) 300w rider for say a 20min FTP, which gives me currently 3.2w/kg…. If i were 70kg instead that would be 4.3w/kg and i’d be doing well in A races….

Of course in the real world, that’s unlikley… but if we went for the middle ground of that as being 80kg target weight keeping power the same, we’d be looking at 3.8w/kg as being my power… How much in actual time that would equate to, we’d have to see… but it’s a chunk of change.

I think we know where this winters training plan needs to head here. lol

crosshair
    Free Member

Weeksy- like all these things, it’s not black and white.

If you can lose a lot of weight and not lose power then yes the same rider would be faster uphill. The steeper the climb, the bigger the effect too.

If you lost all your power in the quest for lightness- then the steeper the climb would need to be to show an advantage.

Hence why Fifeandy is always bemoaning the lack of Hilly courses 😉

On the flat of course, it comes back to w/CDA which can also only be enhanced by being smaller physically.

There really aren’t many downsides to losing mass for cycling in our weight category.

stumpy01

Couldn’t you Zwift it to get an idea?

Ride the mountain loop one week at your actual weight & the next week stick 20kg onto your profile & ride it again.

I know it won’t be 100% accurate, but should give you an idea…..

fifeandy
    Free Member

Hence why Fifeandy is always bemoaning the lack of Hilly courses

Indeed, stupid flat country!
    I’m actually in the slightly odd position of actually working to gain weight (as muscle mass obviously) as for riding in the UK, i’ll take the increased power over the risk of a slight drop in W/Kg. I mean its nice being able to float up climbs giggling at all the normal sized people for the week in the mountains each year, but that comes at the expense of being the runt getting his legs torn off the other 51 weeks of the year.

oldracer
    Free Member

Kryton makes a good point.

& when you combine your physiology with an optimum weight then you can really fly!

I’ve never had great power but I’ve always had good stamina. At my best I was finishing in the top 10 at Brass Monkeys 4hrs & top 5 at Bristol Oktoberfest. The thing is I was never that quick – my lap times over those races were just consistent. My coach & I did try to up my peak power by doing shorter XC races…..I got totally dusted at those!

It’s about playing to your strengths.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Power to weight ratio.

With a nod to the relative ratios over the duration of a given climb.

crosshair
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/iW47gb01FeA[/video]

GCN to the rescue 🙂

jam-bo

same road climb (0.4 miles, 11% grade) last night on mtb. according to strava me & mate were outputting ~200W each.

i’m 85kg, he’s 70kg, I did in 6 mins, he did in in 5min.

I need to lose some weight.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘When you reach a certain level of fitness, is it just a weight thing for climbs?’ is closed to new replies.