Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • When you know you are in the wrong job, whats the answer?
  • organic355
    Free Member

seems a lot of unhappily employed people on here, myself included.

yeah yeah, should be thankful weve got a job at all etc etc.

But if you really REALLY know that what you are doing isnt what you want to be doing but have no idea what it is you should be doing, then what do you do?

is it a case of listing your interests, a SWOT diagram, (Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & Threats), are there any online resources?

What we need is a huge database of all the jobs ever, with the characteristics each job requires, you plug in your interests and skills and up pops a selection of careers for you.

failing that impossible task, what can you do to find your true calling?

bigjim

Yeah its a toughie. I’m giving serious thought to sacking off my job and doing a winter season, at 35. Probably disastrous for my ‘career’, but I’m sure it’ll be OK…

fasthaggis

Follow your heart*

*but maybe not when you are about to have your first sprog

camo16
    Free Member

You find the answer to that one, OP, and you let me know, okay?

wors

You find the answer to that one, OP, and you let me know, okay?

me too please, thanks.

matt_outandabout

Follow your heart*

*but maybe not when you are about to have your first sprog
    This was learned the experiential way in the OAB household. I came home a week before eldest_oab was born, sans job. 😕

samuri
    Free Member

I usually look at my mortgage(s) payments and that puts me off starting a new career in nude modelling.

It’s a choice, I know.

Mackem

Me three..

tonyd

Depends on age and appetite for/exposure to risk I think. Personally…

Aged 16-25: Walk out, go to pub, ponder next move while staring at barmaids chest
    Aged 26-35: Consider next move, find new job, go to pub and stare at barmaids chest
    Aged 36-41: Dream about new job, stay put and suck it up. Dream about barmaids chests, go home and get the kids tea ready.
    Aged 42+ : Don’t know yet but suspect it might involve a daring move to a higher paid role. Or more sucking it up.

fasthaggis

and that puts me off starting a new career in nude modelling

so for now you just paint them 😉

samuri
    Free Member

It’s a substitution 😉

I nude model for free but it’s usually on the bridge at junction 23 of the M6. Not everyone appreciates it.

brooess
    Free Member

Ive been struggling with this for most of the last 15 years.
    My solution has been to go independent and be a contractor. Pay is better, I don’t have a formal boss, and I can detach myself from the aspects of corporate life that I don’t like, and it’s largely ok.

You have 2 choices essentially. One is to go off and follow your dream. Likely it’ll pay worse – jobs people will do for the love don’t need to pay so much. Accountancy and IT have to pay a lot or no-one would do them!
    The other, which has worked for me, has been to find my peace with the industry I work in. tbh I think it’s the better choice – I’ve found a way to enjoy being at work and I still have the financial security which I’d lack if I was working as a personal trainer or doing something for a cycling charity

gordimhor

Divorced at 34 and took the chance to change career. Got into the right kind of job but with large pay cut and spent the next 7 years working long long hours with extra part time jobs just to get by. Finally got into the right job with a decent employer and am still there and still content (more or less) 11 years later. It can be done but it’s never easy.

totalshell

left a well paid suit wearing secure job after 21 years aged 42 no qualifications other than common sense and some cash at hand (17k)

now very happily self employed as a plumber .. best thing i ever did other than have kids.. i work when and for whom i want.. you can keep your merc. and nice office ta very much I only miss the 30 days paid holiday pa.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘When you know you are in the wrong job, whats the answer?’ is closed to new replies.