Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • When you finally take your expensive new bike out for a ride…
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Had my Yeti ASCr for over 3 months and not ridden it for a variety of reasons, but mainly because i was so unfit I felt that I’d not enjoy it no matter how good it was..

Finally decided to take it for a spin, and oh my, its simply amazing. I’m a serial bike buyer and some i like, some I don’t get on with, but today I just clicked with it right away. Felt like a hard tail on the ups, and a trail bike on the downs. I know that everyone says this about a neww bike, but I’ve had 9 in 5 years and this is the first time I’ve thought ‘this is exactly what I want from my bike’

Only issue is that now I’m kind of thinking my 4 ride old trance is going to be pretty much redundant, as whilst its slightly better at going down, its not nearly as good overall.

I’d always thought that there is no way that a normal rider can justify a 4k bike, but if they are all as good as this then I may be taking out a new morgage on the house to upgrade the rest of the fleet (or to replace the swing arm when it inevitable snaps :-().

here it is, finally covered in mud.

wiggles
    Free Member

White forks though ? 😉

tenfoot

Nice bike. I have an Orange Four on order, so am awaiting the first ride with anticipation.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Really??! I much prefer white forks on a bike. Is that not tthe done thing?

Interestinglyn the colour matching is.by total chance, forks and wheels came off a previous bike.

garage-dweller

I like the white forks.
    Its the state of the lawn I’m worried about.

momo

Unfortunately I agree with wiggles, white forks look all kinds of wrong on that bike.

But I do know exactly how you’re feeling, built this on a bit of a whim having never ridden any B+ bikes before, took a few miles but eventually I got the tyre pressures down to a point where everything started working properly and I began to remember how to ride a mountain bike without suspension (last time I owned a rigid bike was 1995!)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/T7DHBS]Tarn at Pines[/url] by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

Three months to ride a bike? Three hours should be nearer to the mark…

tpbiker
    Free Member

Re grass…Yeah sorry about that, some dude in a big van keeps driving over it and makes a right mess..

benp1

You really spent that much on a bike and waited 3 months to ride it?!

Glad you like it, although white forks are grim

oikeith

I thought this post would match the recent experience I had, it doesn’t, but I will share anyway!

Purchased a Spesh Enduro Elite on Valentines day as a present to myself, 3 weeks later I am at BPW going down one of the blacks and a huge rock comes loose and bounces under the frame making a very loud noise. Didnt think much of it as had metal frames before and they were always fine with rock strikes and this shiny new carbon frame had a frame protector on it.

When I got home and was cleaning the bike, discovered the frame protector has a huge crack along the length of it from the rock strike and the frame underneath is damaged! WTF! my not even one month old new bike, just typical!

Thankfully a closer inspection makes me believe the damage is paint only and I have decided that out of site, out of mind is the best policy here…

Daffy

Similar here – bought mine in August last year and went for it’s first ride on Friday…

davosaurusrex

I got my new frame last Wednesday. Finished building it to a rideable state Friday evening. Missus out Saturday so couldn’t get out but went out Sunday morning for a “quick shakedown” ride. Got back over two hours later, on Mother’s Day – I was in the doghouse. Totally worth it. Waiting months to ride a new bike? You guys are nuts!

cokie

That Yeti looks so right. Can’t believe you waited 3 months!!
    I know what you mean, I had this with both my Whyte T129 and T130. They just felt right from the get go and never failed to put a smile on my face even after a year.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I waited about 2months for a proper ride after it arrived in the summer. TBH I’ve not ridden it that much, cos I didnt want to get it muddy, but have now decided that the perfect day to ride is rarer than a unicorns scrotum so time to get it used!

That Yeti is lovely. White forks arent my thang!

stevextc
    Free Member

I’d always thought that there is no way that a normal rider can justify a 4k bike

As maybe…. I personally think it’s not price but geometry…
    I have a full carbon Giant XTC and a basic aluminium Whyte T-130….
    (I only paid £700 for the XtC a year old and pristine – less than the cost of a new wheel) and the Whyte was a bit more…

The thing is the Whyte just clicked…. for my riding and my body proportions etc. and I could have tried a Giant Trance or Anthem but it would have felt like the XtC but with rear susp. and heavier 😀

I also hired a few Whyte low end’s and each time I’ve clicked (which is why I tried the T-130) … and it’s a near instant click… (hardly left the bike hire place)

Anyway… that’s my 2p or £4000 worth 😀

tpbiker
    Free Member

Quite possibly..im sure that sticking a yeti badge on it probably raises the cost by a grand alone…and its not as if yeti carbon is renound for being industry leading

I think it’s more to do with the fact that if you approach buying a bike with a non limited budget (within reason) you dont have to compromise on choice. Rather than buy the best bike in budget thats suitable for the riding you do I approached my last purchase with the mindset of finding the bike that most suited my riding, then worrying about cost later.

Seems to have worked.

juanghia
    Free Member

I’d always thought that there is no way that a normal rider can justify a 4k bike, but if they are all as good as this then I may be taking out a new morgage on the house to upgrade the rest of the fleet (or to replace the swing arm when it inevitable snaps :-().

That’s great value for money my newest rigid singlespeed frame and forks were over 2k 🙂

stevextc
    Free Member

think it’s more to do with the fact that if you approach buying a bike with a non limited budget (within reason) you dont have to compromise on choice. Rather than buy the best bike in budget thats suitable for the riding you do I approached my last purchase with the mindset of finding the bike that most suited my riding, then worrying about cost later.

Seems to have worked.

Glad it worked ….
    Not having an unlimited budget though I’ve at least convinced myself that any Whyte within my price range will click… and any giant or Marin won’t…

I had an expensive accident with the carbon frame and this resulted in me hiring bikes for a while.

I did find that for my specific build and where I ride that the Whyte’s clicked (parking lot) and the Marin didn’t.

Quite possibly..im sure that sticking a yeti badge on it probably raises the cost by a grand alone…and its not as if yeti carbon is renound for being industry leading

In pure “technical ability” to make carbon (or alloy) frames then Giant are probably way ahead but perhaps that extra grand isn’t the technical ability but how the bike feels.

I’ve got short legs or a long upper body (depending if your a half full or empty kinda guy) and out of the makes I tried every Whyte felt right (from the basic 901 to the G-160) and every Marin wrong and Giant… somewhere inbetween…but I’m sure there are people out there that the Marin feels right for …

My theory is part of this is the proportions they use for “average body” and part is “how it rides” ….

To extend my theory pretty much any Yeti would suit you 😀 and you can then choose the one for your riding and price???

It is of course just my theory

tpbiker
    Free Member

Im also a stumpy legged, long bodied individual…yeti probably suit you as well!

onandon
    Free Member

I purchased a habit black in Dec but haven’t ridden it yet. However, today I’m moving to my new house in Geneva just a few miles from the Jura range : ).

Can’t wait.

Northwind

I was building my 224 evo for about 6 months- got sidetracked into repainting the lowers, minor stuff like that, and ended up upgrading parts that I’d bought, fitted, then took back off without ever riding 😆 Ended up being a total rush job at the end and its first proper ride was the 6 hour endurance downhill at fort william, now that’s planning

stevextc
    Free Member

Im also a stumpy legged, long bodied individual…yeti probably suit you as well!

Yep I agree….
    Sadly, I’m not the financial controller in the house and I also need to support a kid’s bike who’s doing really well racing.. 😥

The family financial controller already questions why I need 2 bikes and 3 sets of wheels and why the kid has 3 sets of wheels .. there’s just no explaining to some people 😀 She’d rather spend the money hiring sun loungers on a beach.. me and the kid would rather be flying down a trail…

Lucky my SIL (the financial controllers sister) is on my side… and buying spokes separate to hubs to rims etc. helps mask this! (I still ordered the kids 64x CX-Rays in 2 goes)

It surprises me the number of people asking “this bike or that bike” …who haven’t even ridden that make…. when you can change pretty much anything except the frame…

I should sell the Giant and save up for a Yeti …. but by that time I might need the e-bike!

tpbiker
    Free Member

Whenever the ex questioned why I needed so many bikes I pponted to the shoe rack. Hers outnumbered mine by a factor of 10.

Such an approach prob explains why shes an ex.

Bigmantrials

I had a new frame due last week, delivery date was pushed back another 3 weeks, Canceled it on friday and picked up a Production Privee Shan GT from JMTB in Bidford on Avon, collected it friday afternoon and had it fully built that evening, Although ended up in the dog house as the missues expected me to be out in the shed for 30-40mins, 2hrs later, she wasn’t happy!

Very busy weekend meant I didn’t ride it until monday evening, I struggled, I was trying to think of any way to get out over the weekend, no chance I could wait 3 months!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘When you finally take your expensive new bike out for a ride…’ is closed to new replies.