Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • When you fall off, try not to land on your face
  • Pook

Ouch. Came off on narrow singletrack yesterday when it gave way under my front wheel and I supermanned OTB and landed square on my conk and chin. My chest took a thump too.

Bloody nose, grazed chin, arm and chest and a sore wrist. Dazed for a while too.

I do have pics but they’re rubbish! Ouch. How do you shave when you’ve got a scabby face?

nosedive
    Free Member

carefully!

where were you pal ? (I think from memory you are a sheffield man?)

I fell at wharnecliffe today, I have a raw line from naval to tit caused by landing on the bars

GW
    Free Member

tuck n roll dude.

I only shave about once a week so can’t really help you there

Bunnyhop

Oh no, you’ll be sticking to the bedsheets.

Will it leave any scars that we women can ‘coo and ahhh’ at?

h4muf
    Free Member

Ya win some,ya lose some Chris.

You lost this time! 😯

Onzadog
    Free Member

Seems to be the weekend for it. I went dirt surfing on middle moor. I’ve got a knee and elbow just like I had as a kid.

Pook

Nosedive – up in the Howgills – but yes I’m in Sheffield. What trail did you come of on?

GW – no time to even think about it! The trail fell away from me at about 20mph otherwise I’d have tried!

Jane – the sticking to the bedsheets has undone any of the potential coolness from having scars – at least in my house anyway. I’m in trouble as ‘they were just clean on, get a sponge or it’ll stain’.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Slow-mo over the bars for me, thought I was popping off a kicker, turned out to be a double and I didn’t make it. Full face on luckily, but I just landed on my head and arms, rolling over. Still have a slightly stiff neck, but I’m grateful it was a fresh cut track woth loamy soil for a softer landing. Good fun on the next run though, nice jumps!

neninja
    Free Member

I’m trying to develop my jumping over the front of the bike and running technique as the bike pitches over after a heavy OTB a month or 2 ago.

It worked a treat on a rocky Grizedale bridleway last weekend. How I didn’t trip on the rocks I’ll never know. It was sufficiently rocky and steep that my mate thought I’d be an ambulance job when he heard my bike go over. Got away with a jarred foot.

I doubt I’ll be that lucky every time.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ouch – I left the trail on Sunday, but technically it was not a crash as I stayed upright and clipped in 🙂

nosedive
    Free Member

Pook – I was on the crags path at the far end of wharnecliffe, not sure if you know it, a rocky path that the climbers use. I had lost a bit of speed and let my front wheel fall into a front wheel size hole. stings a bit across the belly this morning.

I’ve not used my face as a brake for a while though. After the last incident I bought one of those Met parachute things. next time i faceplant I will put on post on here to let you all know if it works or not!

bruneep

I do have pics but they’re rubbish!

We will be the judge of that, post em up.

GW
    Free Member

GW – no time to even think about it! The trail fell away from me at about 20mph otherwise I’d have tried!

The whole point is you shouldn’t have to think about it, it should be a natural reaction.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow…GW can fly? 🙄 It’s not always possible.

OP get the pics up, bad pics of an average injury sound good!

neil853
    Free Member

been there done that and got 29 stitches in my face because of it 🙄

binners

I feel your pain brother.

My last excursion over the bars ended in a chin/nose/gravel track interface. I wasn’t half shifting too.

Cue dazed phone call “Babe. I’ve had a bit of an accident. I think you may have to take me to hospital. Where am I? Haven’t a clue who I am, never mind where I am!”

The words “Hmmmmmmm multi-directional lacerations. Don’t know how were going to stitch that lot up. Blimey! What a mess!” are not what you want to hear from a surgeon on a Saturday afternoon.

Chicks dig scars though? Right

GW
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Wow…GW can fly? It’s not always possible.

possible? that implies to me you’re thinking about it, not surprising from you really. 🙄
    how many times would you say you’ve crashed an mtb in your life? closer to a few? a few hundred? or a few thousand? and how many times was it an unexpected OTB compared to making the choice to bail?
    crash/bail often enough and it does become a natural instinct, there isn’t always time to conciously think about what’s possible during the crash but some people do naturally manage to get away with big crashes often and consistently and it isn’t down to luck.

Pook

I’ll put a rubbish vid up later. Unless someone fancies doing it for me from my vimeo (email address in profile to search). Can’t do it from the phone.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is it only Northerners with brake-pad faces?

Please don’t use your faces as brake pads. Superstar Components do replacement brake pads for not much money.

What Face For To Stop Best?

binners

I can’t even afford Superstar pads now Fred, not since my crash prematurely ended my lucrative modeling career. There’s just no justice mate. None at all! Its such a shallow and fickle business!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What were you modelling, Binners?

binners

welding masks

oh… and Speedo’s

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ll put a rubbish vid up later. Unless someone fancies doing it for me from my vimeo (email address in profile to search). Can’t do it from the phone.

[video]http://www.vimeo.com/27138564[/video]

…from 2.20-ish

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

Stoppit it’s too hot to laugh….

Ah Binners; the man with the perfect face for radio….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GW is right – its the same thing as learning to breakfall in martial arts. Once you learn you adopt the right position without any need for concious thought thus its quick to do.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Chicks dig scars though? Right

I acquired a small area of rock-induced scabbing on my chin on sunday…as I’m getting married on saturday my OH is not impressed! 😀

I was personally hoping for something more impressive but can’t have everything.

Pook

Told you it was rubbish

🙂

GW
    Free Member

I know fine well I’m right TJ 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

GW my point was that it’s not always possible to roll.

binners

Pah!!! Right I’m going to have to get some pictures up of my facial gore-fest up. Mine looks like a slasher movie in comparison to that 🙁

GW
    Free Member

nicely backtracked 🙄

it’s not always the best thing to do either Al but I don’t expect you to understand, as.. (yet again) you don’t actually have a clue what you’re talking about. 😛

Pook

Binners, the impact of a graze/cut is directly proportional to how ugly you are. A small cut on an otherwise handsome face is more impactful as a result.

I doubt your gore fest will be an issue ;o)

binners

A fair point! 😉

Pook

;o)

slowrider
    Free Member

Sorry chris but you definitely deserve a thread full of MTFU for that scratch!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Backtracking? You misinterpreted my post. I’m happy to accept I don’t know much about this, certainly beside the all knowing GW…all I said was it’s not always possible to roll…something you’ve yet to disprove…but I am still wrong 🙄

yunki
    Free Member

I went over the bars on a bmx one drunken evening in my mid twenties..

the nurse who treated me thought I had been shot in the face.. rad

Pook

Tom, shouldn’t you be buying a straw donkey or eating paella or something?

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Did none of you ever do Judo as a kid? Practice some breakfalls.
    In fact, that would look great in the trail centre car park, instead of showing off with wheelies and bunny hops, you could breakfall instead.

Duggan

I had an off by myself on Middle Moor yesterday. Now I know the true meaning of the phrase ‘Pick a line and stick with it’.

Felt fine yesterday but my neck and shoulders kill today.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘When you fall off, try not to land on your face’ is closed to new replies.