Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • When will the Ice Bucket Challenge fad pass?
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’ll get flamed for this but here goes…..

The whole campaign is a form of bullying via social media, it’s being portrayed as acceptable because of the cause and the minor forfeit. But it’s still bullying.

What is worse is that it will contribute to conditioning us that social media bullying is okay, and add to a problem that is blighting social media especially for the vulnerable

If you identify with the cause and want to donate then great, if you want to upload video of.yourself getting wet, well it’s a free country………… Naming someone else who then has massive social to do the same? Fun, banter or bullying?

So saying no is always an option.

It’s also an option without getting wet or handing over your money

maccruiskeen

I’ll get flamed for this but here goes…..

The whole campaign is a form of bullying via social media, it’s being portrayed as acceptable because of the cause and the minor forfeit. But it’s still bullying.

What is worse is that it will contribute to conditioning us that social media bullying is okay, and add to a problem that is blighting social media especially for the vulnerable

If you identify with the cause and want to donate then great, if you want to upload video of.yourself getting wet, well it’s a free country………… Naming someone else who then has massive social to do the same? Fun, banter or bullying?

I think if you saved that text as jpeg uploaded it to your Facebook page with a caption saying “i’ll bet 99% or people won’t share” … it’ll go viral

When will the Ice Bucket Challenge fad pass?

When Joseph Kony finally accepts his nomination

jamesy01
    Free Member

At first I was a bit “meh, ain’t this stupid’. Then it got bigger and charity does seem to be benefitting so it’s gone up in my estimation.
    Going back to what big_n_daft is saying I kinda agree. Facebook in particular seems to have become the worlds biggest dealer in ‘chain letters’ only no one has the balls to screw them up and chuck them in the bucket or at the very least pass them on to ‘Dear Deardrie’…

rOcKeTdOg

I genuinely didn’t realise it’s a charity thing! What’s the charity? All I see is people pouring water over themselves, no one mentions how much money they pledge & worse still I’ve seen no “wet t shirt” versions

kayak23

It’s true what big-n-daft says in a lot of cases. The ice bucket thing though was supposed to be a forfeit that you’d choose INSTEAD of donating money.
    People could quite easily donate something and that would be the end, but it’s turned into folks doing the forfeit AND donating(well, probably donating).

I agree though. I hate these social media crazes, but this one I did.

Drac

It’s really not at all now is it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Keep getting these through, then getting – ‘ why have you not done it’

Well , if you got out of your little bubble youd see im living in west africa at this current time- where the idea of wasting water and ice is not on , the locals are short enough of clean drinking water as it is without me pouring it over my head for a laugh…

paulosoxo
    Free Member

It’s really not at all now is it.

You, you big meanie.

bruneep

Plenty water under those stairs, get it done Mr Grumpy boots.

GrahamS

I genuinely didn’t realise it’s a charity thing! What’s the charity?

Various charities for ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis aka “Lou Gehrig’s Disease”).

In the UK we call it Motor Neuron Disease (aka “that thing that f******d up Stephen Hawking”)

The main charity to benefit so far has been the American-based ALS Association which has raised $79.7 Million so far!

UK participants are encouraged to donate to the Motor Neuron Disease Association (MNDa) which has raised £1 million so far.

http://www.mndassociation.org/
    https://www.justgiving.com/icebucket4mnd/

Or if you are feeling nationalistic MND Scotland:
    http://www.mndscotland.org.uk/2014/08/ice-bucket-challenge/

The whole campaign is a form of bullying via social media

Absolutely!

Not quite as harrowing as the chilling sight of a sponsor form being passed round the office perhaps, but definitely up there with being pressured into wearing a red nose.

Perhaps some of the funds raised could be spent on counseling?

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s like being accosted by a charity chugger in the street except its on Facebook, don’t have an issue with donating money or doing my bit for charity (which for me personally meant doing more than just tipping a bucket of water over my head) but it’s the being nominated and effectively being told what to do by somebody else that I refuse to comply with.
    My bucket, my money and I’ll decide what I do with it thanks.

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, I’ve only been away for a weekend and I’ve never heard of any of this!

Drac

It’s true what big-n-daft says in a lot of cases. The ice bucket thing though was supposed to be a forfeit that you’d choose INSTEAD of donating money.

Nope. You chuck the iced water over your head as the shock and discomfort is a good mimic for some of symptoms on MND.

Off to get my ice now.

It’s like being accosted by a charity chugger in the street except its on Facebook, don’t have an issue with donating money or doing my bit for charity (which for me personally meant doing more than just tipping a bucket of water over my head) but it’s the being nominated and effectively being told what to do by somebody else that I refuse to comply with.
    My bucket, my money and I’ll decide what I do with it thanks.

It’s not compulsory, you do know that right?

My wife chose not to do it.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I’m not on Facebook, didn’t mind get a wee bit wet and cold for 10mins or so and making a donation to MND. DOn’t really feel bullied at all but do have a mental note of MND and what it can do and how some money can help.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s not compulsory, you do know that right?

Yes. But you are immediately labelled a sad cantankerous miserable bastard but then I’m used to such accusations despite existing in a state of near nirvana like utopian calm.

badnewz
    Free Member

Good grief it’s already taken over my FB feed (yet another reason to leave…)

miketually
    Free Member

But you are immediately labelled a sad cantankerous miserable bastard

I’m a sad cantankerous miserable bastard, but I still took part.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReRwsIA7E80[/video]

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t mind this sort of stuff but what I don’t like is how businesses use it as a way of advertising – for example, a local hotel that I follow on Facebook did the challenge, but the guy did it whilst stood in ‘one of our great new individual luxury steam rooms’.

GrahamS

You chuck the iced water over your head as the shock and discomfort is a good mimic for some of symptoms on MND.

I think that interpretation has been retconned onto the challenge.

Variations were being done for other charities before it got picked up by Pete Frates and went viral in support of ALS charities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Bucket_Challenge#Origin

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

^^ was not expecting that! 😯 funny but also not…

nbt

that video makes me a little bit sad, I think you all know why, but that’s an entirely different debate 🙁

GrahamS

(I’m hoping it was dubbed)

cookeaa

One of My daughters school friends nominated her yesterday via her Mum’s FB account, She’s only five, I’m not sure I’m completely OK with the idea of Primary school kids doing it…

And I don’t really like anything where you’re sort of compelled by some charitable giving to participate like this, I’ve got a mate with Raynaud’s who definitely won’t be doing it….

She’s a bit funny about getting wet still, and already has the possible beginnings of a cold which it won’t help…

Needless to say at some point this afternoon my Missus is going to drench her in the back garden, lest the other Mum’s brand her a spoilsport…
    I might suggest she uses slightly warm water rather than Iced and has towels and stuff on standby…

Can’t I just donate a fiver without upsetting my kids?

Drac

Can’t I just donate a fiver without upsetting my kids?

Yes. Can you ask your daughter if she’d like to do it?

iolo
    Free Member

Take her to a swimming pool and do it there. Tell her to pretend the waters cold.

trickydisco
    Free Member

My new favourite
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBM_1OTjNLc[/video]

Drac

I think that interpretation has been retconned onto the challenge.

Doesn’t seem very clear in that wiki link. What ever it is you can take part or not no one is bullying you into it.

(I’m hoping it was dubbed)

Sounds dubbed and sadly due to the swearing in it I’ve had to remove it.

GrahamS

I’m not sure I’m completely OK with the idea of Primary school kids doing it…

My mates two boys (a P2 and P3) announced they wanted to do it after watching their dad do it. They got the full deal: two of those big flexi buckets over both of them.

They nominated another mates son (also primary age) who got soaked alongside his dad using a JCB shovel like the video above. 😀

Most kids like getting wet and making a mess IME, I would ask your daughter what she wants to do, she might surprise you.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’m sort of with MrSmith and big-n-daft with this. I’m probably not really putting it very well, but when there gets to be social pressure to do something like that then the point of doing it in the first place is lost a bit.
    Bit like how anyone appearing on TV around Remembrance Day is now effectively obliged to wear a poppy, with the result that the fact they are wearing a poppy now says nothing about how they feel about it.
    Not sure that makes much sense when I read it back, but there’s still something about stuff like this that irks me.

OTOH, you can’t argue with £££ of donations and raised awareness so maybe I’m just being a massive curmudgeon.

GrahamS

Sounds dubbed and sadly due to the swearing in it I’ve had to remove it.

Ah yes, sorry about that Drac. 😳

Drac

I understand what you’re trying to say MrSalmon but in this case it’s the social media that is allowing it to work, without the social media it just wouldn’t work.

TooTall
    Free Member

I do like the way we’re told it isn’t a form of bullying. Through the medium of a forum moderator repeatedly telling us it isn’t bullying.

I agree with Big n Daft on this. Even at the risk of a virtual wedgie from the stw hall monitor.

bencooper
    Free Member

This:

Especially when they appear silent on FB.

kayak23

Drac – Moderator

Nope. You chuck the iced water over your head as the shock and discomfort is a good mimic for some of symptoms on MND.

You’re right I’m sure, but it just shows that there is misinformation around about this, including which charity started it all off. I apparently donated to the wrong one, but the below is what I read about the idea behind it. I did the challenge AND donated however.

Wikipedia

lemonysam
    Free Member

Drac

You’re right I’m sure, but it just shows that there is misinformation around about this, including which charity started it all off. I apparently donated to the wrong one, but the below is what I read about the idea behind it. I did the challenge AND donated however.

If chose to do it and donate another charity then I can’t see what the issue is, the most recent main choice is the ALS one but as already mentioned in the UK it’s the MND one.

I agree with Big n Daft on this. Even at the risk of a virtual wedgie from the stw hall monitor.

See you at lunch.

dan74
    Free Member

🙁

kayak23

Just deleted my FB account

Liked and shared.

bencooper
    Free Member

Fine nominating adults but wives friends are nominating my kids 3 and 6

<mumsnet>

You’re 3 and 6 year old kids are on Facebook?

</mumsnet>

wrecker
    Free Member

Even at the risk of a virtual wedgie from the stw hall monitor.

I’m pretty sure you were a STW hall monitor once.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘When will the Ice Bucket Challenge fad pass?’ is closed to new replies.