Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • When was your last trailside puncture?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Because fate is a load of bollocks.

Me, I genuinely can’t remember, but probably a couple of years. Lucky streak? DH tyres!

pipiom
    Free Member

Was getting at least 1 per week sometimes more, especially when the gorse first came out …. got some Bonty Mud X’s and went tubeless in May and nothing since then, 3 x 20ish mile + rides per week and Ratrace Crossing (200 m) and Manx e2e (45m)….. don’t know if it was the tyres or the Stans but I’m very happy.

Yetiman
    Free Member

3 weeks ago coming down off Clachnaben. I smacked the rear wheel into a drainage bar, which split the 2.4 Ardent, and the hole was too big for the latex to seal. First puncture since building the bike last December.

JRTG
    Free Member

On Wednesday night, solo night ride on my single speed cyclocross bike, had 2 :(. It’s very lonely changing tubes and then fixing a tube in the dark miles from home. The woods are scary too.

pickle
    Free Member

couple of weeks ago at Afan down the black run. pinch flat near the bottom.

by the look of the fence at the end i’m not the only one 😆

ratherbeintobago

Took a roofing nail through the back tyre about two months ago. Hole big enough the sealant couldn’t cope…

tmb467
    Free Member

Had one in the last two years

Pinch flat at Nant yr Arian – and I’d not taken a spare so had to repair it.

Ballache

neninja
    Free Member

A couple of months ago was the first for at least 2 years. Running tubeless but that didn’t help when the kevlar bead on a Continental tyre decided to separate from the sidewall.

A mate had exactly the same with a different Continental folding tyre a couple of weeks after me.

Jrrr
    Free Member

neninja – I have had the exact same experience with Continental tyres. Shame really because i really like how they grip!!

bartimaeus
    Free Member

22nd Sept @ 14:50… after running tubeless for 750 miles my sealant had dried out, so I had to stick a tube in.

fasthaggis

OP

You have so hexed yirself now 😆

ir_bandito
    Free Member

1 day before I purchased a tubeless conversion kit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

About 5 months ago double pinch both tyres after already having a puncture that ride so puncture repair time

I reckon I get about 1 a year or thereabouts tbh

Garry_Lager

Was on a great run of 3 or so yrs puncture free until the other week – nicked a sidewall ploughing up a rocky climb on a night ride. One of the lighter spesh TLR tyres, forget which one. Carcass felt a bit on the fragile side when I fitted it and so it proved.

theotherjonv

one of the trails off the north side of Dunkery beacon down toward horner water. Pinch flatted the rear and then before I could stop hit another rock hard and dented the rim.

Nicely fixed by my mechanic man now though.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

About 4 weeks ago on Harden Moor. Thorn through the tyre…

Northwind

June 29th 2013. Mangled the rim as well.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Last weekend with my tubeless Mud X tyres, I went up an off-camber banking, the rear wheel slipped and must have gone over a rock, I got a very small slit in the sidewall, bummer! I put some toothpaste tube in to cover the hole and installed a tube for the rest of the ride. This is the first puncture I’ve had with these tyres (I used them for about 6 months last year), it was bound to happen as they are pretty lightweight.

Up until about 2 weeks ago (when I put the Mud X’s on) I was running Rubber Queens (UST), I only had one puncture with those in about 18 months of use, that happened right on the tread on the rear at Antur Stiniog (going through the tiny rock garden on the blue run), that eventually sealed up but I had to put a tube in to finish the ride.

Riding Snowdon tomorrow, really cba to put my Rubber Queens back but I think the latest puncture may be a bad omen 😆

andytherocketeer

2200km ago (yes, I just checked)

Maxxis Highrollers with Conti Tubes (edit: flint right thru centre nobble)

Next one will probably be tomorrow.
    Since I use tubes, and the BS statistics propagated by the tubeless crew, I should be overdue about 200 punctures in that time. And shoulf have got through about 10x as many Nobby Nics since I binned those Highrollers (about 2000km ago).

njee20
    Free Member

Small rip in sidewall about a month ago. Absolutely no sealant in the tyre, so stuck a tube in.

Before that a year or so at least.

Simon

Last winter on Ilkley Moor on the new flags where the duck boards used to be. There was a gap in the flags hidden under the snow, rear wheel slammed into hole and pinch flatted the tyre. I pumped it back up but it wouldn’t seal 🙁

downhilldave

Tuesday night.Doh!!! Big hole in my front Ust rubber Queen which the latex refused to seal 😥 Gave my last tube to a mate the previous Saturday. Double Doh!!!

kjcc25
    Free Member

Two weeks ago on a quiet, little trail on Cannock Chase which I usually only use in the winter. Decided to have a look at it to see if it was overgrown. Not too bad really but the brambles growing across the trail got me. First puncture in about two years!

crispycross
    Free Member

4 inch nail through the sidewall, 4 hours into the Erlestoke 6hr enduro. Couldn’t leave the nail in and the hole was too big for sealant to fix it. To add insult to injury, I pinched the bloody tube trying to wrestle it in while everything was covered in a mixture of Stan’s and squirty foam sealant.

chip
    Free Member

Not a sausage for a whole 12 months then 3 in one day last week and another my next ride out a few days later.
    The first three were sabotage as some one had cut lots of branches of the sloes that grow in abundance alongside the trail and had carefully laid them across the trail in amongst other greenery.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Surprising how few punctures people actually seem to get; I guess this is because tyres are better and bigger.

The story 15 years ago would have been very different I’m sure,

matther01
    Free Member

18 months…went tubeless and not one since.

oxym0r0n

1 since June 2012, which eventually sealed

mduncombe
    Free Member

Cwmcarn Twrch trail in August, on the climb just before the picnic site, pinch puncture on the rear Racing Ralph, first ever puncture on the Anthem and its nearly 12 months old so cant complain. Couple of riders who passed me asked if I needed any help, I didnt but nice of them to ask.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I went through a spate of ripped sidewalls during the tail end of winter and early spring claiming five tyres (three Spesh jobs, one Conti MK and a Black Chilli Rubber Queen). In the ten years I’ve been mountain biking I’d never had sidewall damage until then. Two of those tyres were so badly ripped that they were written off, the others have been sewn and had a latex patch glued in place.

It’s flinty down my way so you get these little rogue shards that can do an inordinate amount of damage. Going tubeless is a bit of a lottery, the best defence is tubes filled with sealant.

At the peak of summer I was averaging one puncture for every two rides.

ransos
    Free Member

It was on a hillside desolate…

bartimaeus
    Free Member

It was on a hillside desolate…

… charming!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘When was your last trailside puncture?’ is closed to new replies.